Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade Proposals: Off-Season II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I've been on the Bennett and/or Virtanen train for a bit.

Both can skate, hit, fight (moreso Bennett) and in my opinion have untapped scoring potential. Sam is going to be buried in Cgy. I don't think he'll get the top 6 opportunities there.

Flames fans predicting Bennett is either traded or resigned for around 2.5-3 million short term.

Id be interested in the price to aquire

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
He has an 8 team trade list next "playing" year, and a 15 one the year after. Plus, it never hurts to ask.
You are right, but why negotiate a NTC or a limited NTC if you dont use it. I make those 8 teams St. Louis, Toronto, Tampa, San Jose, Winnipeg, and the next 3 highest cap teams.

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
This question goes to anyone that knows, not specifically the quoted person, but not to stray too much, do Providence players pay MA or RI taxes?
They pay taxes at the situs of where their work is performed. In other words, generally, RI. However, to the extent they exceed state de minimis payroll thresholds, they will have to also pay taxes in other states and apportion taxable income accordingly.

So Providence Bruins players play all home games in RI, so they would be subject to, essentially, 5.99% on their apportioned income. Then if they play/spend multiple days in say, PA throughout the year to play the Bears, Phantoms, Penguins, etc., they would similarly apportion part of their income to PA and pay, essentially the top rate there (whatever that is, not going to look it up). This is on top of the, roughly, 37% they pay federally (assuming an NHL salary in the AHL and ignoring rate graduation, which cuts off after $612k, further assuming a filing status of married filing jointly).

Did you want to talk taxes, or were you just curious ;)

Reactions: WhalerTurnedBruin55

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
If Backes is willing to go to a cash strapped team like OTT, the Bruins could get creative with the cap with OTT. Backes contract of $8, $8, $6, $4, and $4 gave me an idea the Bruins could work out with OTT.
His contract is $3m signing and $1m salary this year and $1m signing and $3m salary next while coming in with a cap hit of $6m each year. That can help OTT hit the cap floor while saving an extra $5m this year and $2m next.
The Bruins could take this further with a trade-sign-trade back deal with OTT eating almost all of his salary.

Trade 1: Bruins trade 3rd round pick to Ottawa for White.
Bruins sign White to 3 yr bridge contract: $5m, $3m, $2m for AAV of $3.33/y for 3 years but the first year is broken down like this: $700k+$4.3m signing bonus.
July 1st, Bruins pay signing bonuses of $3m to Backes and $4.3 to White.
Trade 2: Bruins trade Backes and White to OTT for one of their three 2nd round picks.

Bruins clear $6m off cap this year and next by eating $7.3m of non-cap real money and upgrade a pick from 3rd round to 2nd.
The money the Bruins pay to White covers all but $700k of what Ottawa would owe Backes total while he takes up $6m in cap space both years. This only costs Ottawa downgrading a 2nd round pick to a 3rd round pick. Plus Backes can help the with leadership in Ottawa.

Reactions: Strafer

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
@00BW It's creative but is that legal? Not the signing bonus piece, but a shuffle of player back and forth might violate the CBA. I’d be curious if it has been done before, in this modern era; sure would be nice if they could send money from one org to another as part of a trade...

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I'd be in favor of any Virtanen deal. Hits, steals pucks, plays fast, has a developing offensive game... He's Anderson or Tuch before the breakout.

Now, what if it was at the cost of Grzelcyk? This is assuming Krug, Vaakanianen, Chara, Moore and one of Zboril or Lauzon take the LHD spots.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If Backes is willing to go to a cash strapped team like OTT, the Bruins could get creative with the cap with OTT. Backes contract of $8, $8, $6, $4, and $4 gave me an idea the Bruins could work out with OTT.
His contract is $3m signing and $1m salary this year and $1m signing and $3m salary next while coming in with a cap hit of $6m each year. That can help OTT hit the cap floor while saving an extra $5m this year and $2m next.
The Bruins could take this further with a trade-sign-trade back deal with OTT eating almost all of his salary.

Trade 1: Bruins trade 3rd round pick to Ottawa for White.
Bruins sign White to 3 yr bridge contract: $5m, $3m, $2m for AAV of $3.33/y for 3 years but the first year is broken down like this: $700k+$4.3m signing bonus.
July 1st, Bruins pay signing bonuses of $3m to Backes and $4.3 to White.
Trade 2: Bruins trade Backes and White to OTT for one of their three 2nd round picks.

Bruins clear $6m off cap this year and next by eating $7.3m of non-cap real money and upgrade a pick from 3rd round to 2nd.
The money the Bruins pay to White covers all but $700k of what Ottawa would owe Backes total while he takes up $6m in cap space both years. This only costs Ottawa downgrading a 2nd round pick to a 3rd round pick. Plus Backes can help the with leadership in Ottawa.
This is clever, lets assume Backes and both GMs agree. Think JJ is going to give away 4M in a signing bonus on top of Backes'?

Reactions: bbfan419

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I've been on the Bennett and/or Virtanen train for a bit.

Both can skate, hit, fight (moreso Bennett) and in my opinion have untapped scoring potential. Sam is going to be buried in Cgy. I don't think he'll get the top 6 opportunities there.

Flames fans predicting Bennett is either traded or resigned for around 2.5-3 million short term.

Id be interested in the price to aquire

Another low risk potential high reward in the Boston system. Good call.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
@00BW It's creative but is that legal? Not the signing bonus piece, but a shuffle of player back and forth might violate the CBA. I’d be curious if it has been done before, in this modern era; sure would be nice if they could send money from one org to another as part of a trade...
Hasn't been tried but seeing the league let Toronto dump Marleau and a 1st for a 6th in return, I think it would be allowed. In my example, I changed it from a 3rd for White to a 2nd for White and Backes acknowledging the increased value of real money being spent/saved which should clear and league hurdles.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
This is clever, lets assume Backes and both GMs agree. Think JJ is going to give away 4M in a signing bonus on top of Backes'?
I was joking with some friends the other day that the Bruins playing 24 out of a possible 28 games with a game 7 loss in the finals is probably JJ's favorite outcome. In 2011 he bought 505 Cup Rings, giving out 504 of them for an estimated cost of about $15m. It basically wiped out all the profit he made that post season. Since he has a recent win, losing game 7 this year means he gets all that profit with no championship expense.

With the turnaround the team has had, I could see him letting the GM unofficially spend over the cap by eating some signing bonuses.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Makes absolutely no sense unless they're trading Miller and it's for the minimum salary

I imagine that's the end of Miller. It could be that the Bruins know they're going with McAvoy, Carlo, Gryz at RD and want to send Miller somewhere he can play so he can earn another contract.

It will be a shame to lose him but you need that $2.5m in cap space.

Edit: Or maybe I'm overthinking this. Anything under $1m and you can send him to Providence and the cap hit doesn't count. It could just be insurance in case Miller isn't ready.

Edit 2: I forgot about Clifton. God lord the Bruins have a lot of defensemen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->