Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade/Free Agent Rumours/Suggestions 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Didn't they lose a 36 goal scorer as well?

And Bozak, and Komarov who I thought was a very good agitator for them. If they want to upgrade on defence they may have to move Kadri, another 30 goal-scorer who draws a lot of penalties and can get under your skin (but also a coward). JVR was a Bruin killer the past couple seasons and I'm glad they don't have him anymore. Bruins for the most part remain intact minus Schaller and Nash(es). Interested to see how the rookies fare in their second season.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011
1. The point here was to show we have over 4 million in 2 depth d-men in eith Miller/McQuaid and Gryz, assuming they're the odd men out of opening night line up.
2. Trading Backes and one of Miller/McQuaid prior to the season starting would give a substantial amount of cap to get a high end #3C or #2RW or a top 4 LD. I didn't say we would have to add an NHL ready prospect and/or pick but we would obviously have to do so. In do the moves mentioned here, we allow to slide some of the youngster down a spot and don't put the added pressure on them.

pretty sure they are carrying extra D until they see how Carlo and Krug are healing and for sure are ready. Krug then brings the most in trade value but you wait until he is healthy and producing. pretty sure Backes has a NMC so need him to waive assuming you can find a taker which i would be surprised at.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That much better D and better goalie took them to a third period comeback in a seven game series.

The Maple Leafs "problems" are way overstated in these parts.

Woulda, shoulda coulda.

Bottom line is that the Leafs lost. I can only imagine what the responses would be here by people if the B’s had been down 3-1 in the series, lost Game 7, and then I tried to claim some moral victory because Boston forced a Game 7.

TOR added the shiny new toy and lost two good pieces in the process. They will be good just like they were good last year, but I’m far more worried about Tampa, who has a very good Top 6, depth, a very good D and a good goalie. They are the team to beat, not TOR.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
pretty sure they are carrying extra D until they see how Carlo and Krug are healing and for sure are ready. Krug then brings the most in trade value but you wait until he is healthy and producing. pretty sure Backes has a NMC so need him to waive assuming you can find a taker which i would be surprised at.

Disagree.

With the Cap floor rising, the discrepancy in Backes’ “real” pay vs his Cap hit, and the fact that he’s not nearly as bad as people here make him out to be...Backes could easily be moved.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Disagree.

With the Cap floor rising, the discrepancy in Backes’ “real” pay vs his Cap hit, and the fact that he’s not nearly as bad as people here make him out to be...Backes could easily be moved.

If he was on another team there would be a “What would it take to get David Backes?” thread. “We need a player with leadership and jam like him!”

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
That much better D and better goalie took them to a third period comeback in a seven game series.

Sadly, I agree with this. Removing JVR and Bozak and adding Tavares is not a simple equation of "goals in vs goals out." It's adding a guy who is a far bigger threat than two guys put together, point totals be damned. Tavares makes everyone around him better. He's a guy who other teams need to plan around, and Matthews is as well.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
We had worse situation last summer

I pegged them for 105 and third place with top 5 rookie class

What I get was Captain Stone saying I’m dilussional, Clark Booth predicting Doom, Hockey News missing playoffs, and farm system repeatedly trashed citing Barzal & Connor

They end up 2nd 112 points and top rated prospect group

I’m coming right back same prediction
3rd
But Confrence Finals

If T-Fred, JFK, & Studnicka continue to improve & impress they are in a good spot

2020 Cup winners
I can see most of that except conference finals. I just hate relying on prospects with no back up plan. Donato looked good but his best work was in the equivalent of a C tournament in the Olympics, a coach who has shown no hesitation to play young players did not use him in the playoffs when they desperately needed secondary scoring.

How many pro games has Frederic played, less than 15, he is a player I am really rooting for, as is Studnicka, but I don't think counting on either this year is realistic. Also both project out as bottom 6 forwards, as does JFK.

I think Tampa, a team they used to have great success against, and Toronto are too deep, Tampa overall and Toronto up front. Toronto could be one of the fewer teams softer than Boston which hopefully the Bruins exploit in a seven game series, but Tavares and Matthews at center cause match up problems.

Season and playoffs are a long way off, I just don't like relying on prospects when you have an aging core and are running out of time with it. It's especially frustrating when I do feel they are very close to being very legitimate contenders but not enough is being done to take advantage of the situation.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Heinen’s 47 pts last year would have put him tied with Oshie for 25th in the NHL. Ahead of players like Simmonds, Atkinson, Palmieri, Okposo and just two points behind Perry, a guy that makes $8.625m and someone suggested adding.

Heinen’s production came in a role that was outside the Top 6 95% of the time. I wonder what he would do playing in the Top 6 with 74 and 46 all year? If he does end up as the 2nd line RW and can equal or improve his rookie production, the Bruins will be just fine.
I get it you really like Heinen, not everybody does, that would include Cassidy who scratched him for some playoff games because he was totally ineffective. Maybe he gets stronger in the off season and figures out it's a long schedule and he needs to be more consistent. I sincerely hope so because Sweeney has done nothing to improve the top 6 yet.

All those players you mentioned I take over Heinen. Comparing Heinen to Oshie on a purely point level is silly, Oshie is twice the player Heinen will ever be, even if they have matching point totals. Take contract out of the mix how many GM's take Heinen over any of those players, maybe Okposo, maybe but probably not.
Heinen's best value to this team may be in his value as a trade chip. An analytics driven GM like Chayka may over pay for him, if so Sweeney should be looking to use him to upgrade his top 6 not include him in it.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal

Shouldn't that comeback just illustrate how awful their D is, though?

Why do people here love crapping on the Bruins? What the heck kind of forum did I join? Might just go back to Reddit...

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Shouldn't that comeback just illustrate how awful their D is, though?

Why do people here love crapping on the Bruins? What the heck kind of forum did I join? Might just go back to Reddit...

Coming back from 3-1 down while also getting the shortest end of the stick officiating wise gm 5, should illustrate how overblown their defensive issues are. If their defense was so bad, series wouldn't have been stretched to 7.

Or if their defense is bad, how bad does that make our team?

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I get it you really like Heinen, not everybody does, that would include Cassidy who scratched him for some playoff games because he was totally ineffective. Maybe he gets stronger in the off season and figures out it's a long schedule and he needs to be more consistent. I sincerely hope so because Sweeney has done nothing to improve the top 6 yet.

All those players you mentioned I take over Heinen. Comparing Heinen to Oshie on a purely point level is silly, Oshie is twice the player Heinen will ever be, even if they have matching point totals. Take contract out of the mix how many GM's take Heinen over any of those players, maybe Okposo, maybe but probably not.
Heinen's best value to this team may be in his value as a trade chip. An analytics driven GM like Chayka may over pay for him, if so Sweeney should be looking to use him to upgrade his top 6 not include him in it.
I think the problem with Heinen, and it’s hard to describe it, but he just doesn’t stand out on the ice.

Like at the end of the night you look down and say ‘oh! You’re here!?!’ Meanwhile he probably played a good game, had a good stick, pretty sound in both ends of the rink.

I’m sure lots of gms would value him pretty highly. I’m not sold that he’s a top 6 guy though. I’d be happy if he proved me wrong.

Or they could move him and I’d feel absolutely nothing. He’s a strange one for me.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
To rival the Leafs so called '3 headed monster' up the middle, would Ryan Nugent-Hopkins be available? Or is Chiarelli not interested in moving him?

Krug + Heinen + Lauzon
for
RNH

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think the problem with Heinen, and it’s hard to describe it, but he just doesn’t stand out on the ice.

Like at the end of the night you look down and say ‘oh! You’re here!?!’ Meanwhile he probably played a good game, had a good stick, pretty sound in both ends of the rink.

I’m sure lots of gms would value him pretty highly. I’m not sold that he’s a top 6 guy though. I’d be happy if he proved me wrong.

Or they could move him and I’d feel absolutely nothing. He’s a strange one for me.

I think its just the fact that he's not a flashy player. His game is very simple, not a lot of flare you know. The thing I like about guys like Heinen is you can pretty much plug and play them without worrying that they'll hurt you. He just plays a responsible game and it seems like of his style of play can mesh with just about any other style on the team.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Sadly, I agree with this. Removing JVR and Bozak and adding Tavares is not a simple equation of "goals in vs goals out." It's adding a guy who is a far bigger threat than two guys put together, point totals be damned. Tavares makes everyone around him better. He's a guy who other teams need to plan around, and Matthews is as well.

Like he accomplished with the Islanders?

Reactions: sarge88

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

This is where I am with him, I don't dislike him, statistically he had a good rookie season but, as you said, he could put up points and you leave thinking, "he had 3 assists?".

He isn't fast, he isn't physical but he is smart and seems to know where to be which is great at his age and experience. I think one of the reasons he struggled in the playoffs was he couldn't get by on just being smart and not being physical or fast had issues getting to where he knew he needed to be to make plays.

He will probably play ten years, put up 500 points and be solid player but I think he needs to get bigger or faster, if he tries to do both it may backfire on him and he becomes slower, which he really can't afford.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
FWIW, both Backes and Krejci have NMCs in the next year. Should make it easier to get them to waive this year if we want to trade t

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I’m not sure we can/should “run out” to respond should EK end up in TB, but if that happens on top of JT to Toronto it’s a rough offseason for Boston. People can stick by the prospects and pin their hopes on the “weak” Toronto D, or the pending cap issues in both cities, but end of the day both of those clubs would have added top tier talent while Boston did not. And surely they’ll have to sacrifice some talent as a result, and Toronto already has, but it won’t be the same level of talent they brought in.

“It’s still early July”, as I’ll be reminded, but I’d sure like to think DS is being creative about ways to bolster this roster that aren’t just pinning hopes on kids. I know my strong preference is trying to turn 1-2 kids, and maybe a vet, into a solid top 6 forward.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
To rival the Leafs so called '3 headed monster' up the middle, would Ryan Nugent-Hopkins be available? Or is Chiarelli not interested in moving him?

Krug + Heinen + Lauzon
for
RNH

jesus christ that is a terrible proposal.

Heinen and RNH were 1 pt apart last year.

Krug > RNH, pretty easily too

Not to mention the next time RNH stays healthy will be the 1st time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad