Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade/Free Agent Rumours/Suggestions 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That or they aren’t ready yet. They might not want 4-5 rookies again without taking a step backwards.

Yup.

But the point stands. They picked up friggen Gionta after his terrible Olympics to play over our prospects in the playoffs. They will likely add another vet for the 3rd line IMO.

They have the best line in hockey and want to fill out the roster with 2 way grinders with NHL experience.

Reactions: Mpasta and maxl7

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Seriously people are freaking out. None of these moves are bad. The Bruins might have gotten a tiny bit worse, but if the prospects and rookies take the next step(as they should) they got better and deeper. Sure I would have loved a star player. Would you have rather over paid for De Haan with the players we have in the pipe?

Think of free agency next year. That’s when we will land our #2 center.
Of course! It's the usual people here freaking out and making a big deal about nothing. None of these contracts really block anyone long term, especially when two contracts expire next year and another two expire the year after.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yup.

But the point stands. They picked up friggen Gionta after his terrible Olympics to play over our prospects in the playoffs. They will likely add another vet for the 3rd line IMO.

They have the best line in hockey and want to fill out the roster with 2 way grinders with NHL experience.
I can almost garuntee they won’t be active at the TD like this year. Not having a first was painful to Sweeney.

AustinBruins

Jul 31, 2010
If it was only about next season they would be one year deals.

And with so many lefthanded d-men in the pipeline a five year deal for Moore is pretty telling.

I was seated for all of this, thanks for your concern.

All of these guys are slight upgrades in mobility and team speed. All three of these contracts, even the 5 year deal to Moore, are very easily moved if a young guy wins their spot.

None of these moves match the big ones of Toronto or TB's locking in their deadline deals long term, but they hopefully make Boston tougher to play against. One of the glaring differences between the Toronto and TB series last year to me was how the B's 4th line went from dominating possession against the Leafs to being dominated by the Lightning.

I think Sweeney attacked that weakness yesterday and hopefully fixed it. Now he has to figure out how to improve the 2nd or 3rd line significantly enough to tilt the ice in favor of Boston there as well.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
All of these guys are slight upgrades in mobility and team speed. All three of these contracts, even the 5 year deal to Moore, are very easily moved if a young guy wins their spot.

None of these moves match the big ones of Toronto or TB's locking in their deadline deals long term, but they hopefully make Boston tougher to play against. One of the glaring differences between the Toronto and TB series last year to me was how the B's 4th line went from dominating possession against the Leafs to being dominated by the Lightning.

I think Sweeney attacked that weakness yesterday and hopefully fixed it. Now he has to figure out how to improve the 2nd or 3rd line significantly enough to tilt the ice in favor of Boston there as well.
No doubt. I think there’s a move coming. We’ll see.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
No doubt. I think there’s a move coming. We’ll see.

I thought/think so too but if not, this sets the B`s up for potential deal during the year/deadline. I`ve got no clue who is even out there right now who would improve the B`s roster. I`m reading Simmonds but would the Flyers deal with the B`s? And what`s the cost?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I thought/think so too but if not, this sets the B`s up for potential deal during the year/deadline. I`ve got no clue who is even out there right now who would improve the B`s roster. I`m reading Simmonds but would the Flyers deal with the B`s? And what`s the cost?
I’m thinking he had s few things lined up in case Tavares come to Boston. No way they could absorb the whole 11mil without somebody going out.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Neal has a 5 year deal with Calgary at 5.75 AAV.

Not sure how I would feel about Wayne Simmons here. Great player, would fit the team on paper. But aging power forwards with a large recent injury history and high AAV.....

We need to not handcuff ourselves back into cap trouble when the kids are coming off their ELCs.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I really can't follow the logic that we 'got worse' yesterday. How? Only by not having a lineup that actually had Tavares in it.

We lost Riley Nash & Tim Schaller, two 28 year olds that had career years & cashed in. The guys that replaced them are right in the same talent group. And Moore & Halak give us more depth on defense & in the net.

Maybe 'losing' Rick Nash? But he didn't really do much while he was here & we still have time to replace him if that's what they want to do.

We have basically the same lineup & another handful of prospects with a year more experience coming to camp.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
I really can't follow the logic that we 'got worse' yesterday. How? Only by not having a lineup that actually had Tavares in it.

We lost Riley Nash & Tim Schaller, two 28 year olds that had career years & cashed in. The guys that replaced them are right in the same talent group. And Moore & Halak give us more depth on defense & in the net.

Maybe 'losing' Rick Nash? But he didn't really do much while he was here & we still have time to replace him if that's what they want to do.

We have basically the same lineup & another handful of prospects with a year more experience coming to camp.

I wouldn't describe it as getting worse, and the offseason is still incomplete. Totally willing to see how the whole thing plays out.

But I think there's been an opportunity to go about getting better differently, and I don't see what they've done as being "it"....so far.

I'm still stuck on this. I think draft/develop, trades and using your available cap space to extract assets from teams in distress are the best way to build a team in a cap environment.

They draft and develop, so that's a start. But they commit their space by giving term on 7/1 which would be just about the last thing I'd do, and we almost never see trades.

Which brings me to another point. We hear about a stockpile of young desirable assets, but if that's the case, where are the trades to help the team now in the Bergeron window? Have there been any? Aside from deadline deals and Jimmy Hayes?

Reactions: maxl7

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't describe it as getting worse, and the offseason is still incomplete. Totally willing to see how the whole thing plays out.

But I think there's been an opportunity to go about getting better differently, and I don't see what they've done as being "it"....so far.

I'm still stuck on this. I think draft/develop, trades and using your available cap space to extract assets from teams in distress are the best way to build a team in a cap environment.

They draft and develop, so that's a start. But they commit their space by giving term on 7/1 which would be just about the last thing I'd do, and we almost never see trades.

Which brings me to another point. We hear about a stockpile of young desirable assets, but if that's the case, where are the trades to help the team now in the Bergeron window? Have there been any? Aside from deadline deals and Jimmy Hayes?

The only teams that do this are teams who plan to be far below the salary cap, Arizona and Carolina for example. Vegas last year.

You almost never see the big market clubs up against the cap make these type of moves.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
People like to get on the Bruins draft history yet the Rangers haven't had an impactful 1st round pick since 2012.

NY Rangers Draft History
1st Round - (9)Vitali Kravtsov, (22)K'Andre Miller, (28)Nils Lundkvist
1 Second Rounder & 2 Thirds

1st Round - (7)Lias Andersson, (21)Filip Chytil
No second or thirds

No 1st or 2nds

1 2nd

No 1st, 1 second

No 1st or Second

(28) Brady Skjei - Current Player
1 second

Reactions: DrJustice

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yup.

Gionta played one game in the playoffs.

I don’t see them adding a 3rd line vet. The players they went after: Kovalchuk, Tavares, Nash, were not 3rd line players. They were Top 6 skill players.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

It's not so much that the Bruins got worse, it's that their direct competition got better. Tampa essentially has the same team coming back, and Toronto on paper should have gotten better.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
The only teams that do this are teams who plan to be far below the salary cap, Arizona and Carolina for example. Vegas last year.

You almost never see the big market clubs up against the cap make these type of moves.

That doesn't mean big market teams shouldn't do it, or that someone won't eventually capitalize on that opportunity. I think the Bruins are the perfect team to do it, (most of their stars are locked up on nice deals and they have many other contributing players on ELCs), and that's a credit to the team for having that capability the same as not taking advantage of it is a missed opportunity.

Reactions: maxl7

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
That doesn't mean big market teams shouldn't do it, or that someone won't eventually capitalize on that opportunity. I think the Bruins are the perfect team to do it, (most of their stars are locked up on nice deals and they have many other contributing players on ELCs), and that's a credit to the team for having that capability the same as not taking advantage of it is a missed opportunity.
Exactly this. Bruins could have weaponized a bit of their cap space to work something out with Minneosta regarding Ennis' albatross and Coyle/Neiderreiter/Zucker. Oh well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think yesterday's moves hint that the organization isn't as high on their prospects as they want us to think they are.

Maybe?

How many other organizations that had over 100 pts incorporated 5/6 rookies into their lineup last season?

DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork (before injury, Kuraly up front.

McAvoy and Grizz on the back end.

You aren’t going to be able to do that every year. This season, I am pretty sure they want Frederic and UV playing a full year in the AHL. Fredric to play C in the pros and UV to get used to the NA ice surface and style.

The players the B’s signed yesterday are depth and bridging the gap. If Nordstrom doesn’t pan out, he can be sent down with minimal Cap impact ($50k?). The only one with more than 2 years is Moore. I think the B’s have a plan for the D, I just have no idea what it is at this point :laugh:.

The B’s struck gold last year with the performance of their prospects. They are right to think they should add depth because it isn’t going to happen two years in a row.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Maybe?

How many other organizations that had over 100 pts incorporated 5/6 rookies into their lineup last season?

DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork (before injury, Kuraly up front.

McAvoy and Grizz on the back end.

You aren’t going to be able to do that every year. This season, I am pretty sure they want Frederic and UV playing a full year in the AHL. Fredric to play C in the pros and UV to get used to the NA ice surface and style.

The players the B’s signed yesterday are depth and bridging the gap. If Nordstrom doesn’t pan out, he can be sent down with minimal Cap impact ($50k?). The only one with more than 2 years is Moore. I think the B’s have a plan for the D, I just have no idea what it is at this point :laugh:.

The B’s struck gold last year with the performance of their prospects. They are right to think they should add depth because it isn’t going to happen two years in a row.

I'm not saying they have given up on their prospects, or that they don't ultimately believe in them, just that this makes it look like they might not be as high on them as they would have us believe. Thinking they need longer to develop, as you think might be the case (and I probably agree) would constitute not being on high as them as maybe they were before.

As for their "sophomores" I expect some to take a step forward, some to take a step back, and some to have similar years. Young players sometimes regress, and sometimes they make real progress. So I think with that in mind it makes sense not to incorporate a bunch of rookies into that kind of lineup. I just think two years for 4th line guys is telling us something. How much is where the conversation we're having fits in.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

AgentWebster

Jul 7, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This is what I came up with yesterday with all the Pararin talk and if we have to add prospects/picks so be it.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Rightwing: D. Pastrnak ($6,666,666) - A. Panarin ($6,000,000) - C. Wagner ($1,250,000) - N. Acciari ($725,000) - P. Cehlárik ($742,500)
Centre: P. Bergeron ($6,875,000) - D. Backes ($6,000,000) - A. Wennberg ($4,900,000) - D. Heinen ($872,500)
Leftwing: B. Marchand ($6,125,000) - R. Donato ($900,000) - J. DeBrusk ($863,333) - A. Bjork ($925,000) - J. Nordström ($1,000,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: C. McAvoy ($916,667) - B. Carlo ($789,167) - K. Miller ($2,500,000)
Left: Z. Chara ($5,000,000) - C. De Haan ($4,500,000) - J. Moore ($2,750,000) - M. Grzelcyk ($1,400,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
T. Rask ($7,000,000) - J. Halák ($2,750,000)

BUYOUTS
D. Seidenberg ($0) - J. Hayes ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $79,500,000
Bonus Overages: $774,000
Cap Hit: $76,158,167
Cap Space: $3,341,833

Trading Krug and Krejci - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Please, someone tell me I'm not crazy and that it's still logical to think another move is coming. I don't see why we are carrying all those defensemen plus Zboril and Vaak potentially looking to make a push.

Add in Lauzon, who I would think is nearly on par with Zboril/Vaakanainen, maybe slightly behind.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Please, someone tell me I'm not crazy and that it's still logical to think another move is coming. I don't see why we are carrying all those defensemen plus Zboril and Vaak potentially looking to make a push.
I won't be shocked to see Zboril traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad