Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
btw, been meaning to reply to this:
@Estlin
I just don't see Sweeney going back for Johansson after letting him go in the off season. If anyone on Buffalo is available who would interest the Bruins, I'd hope that it's Sam Reinhart (a productive right-shot C/RW).

Debrusk-Krejci-Rakell/Reinhart
Bjork-Coyle-Toffoli

I'd prefer Rakell over anyone else, but the price for Boston to acquire either him or Reinhart would be steep.
re: Johansson, I was pissed they let him walk, but in hindsight realize it was a good move because it let Bjork into the lineup and they couldn't afford him at the start of the season anyway. I was staunchly against paying assets to trade for a guy that they let walk but came to realize that what they'd really be giving up assets for is the chance to only pay Jojo for 1.5 seasons, but still have him for potentially 3 playoff runs. It's kind of a brilliant move if you think about it. Let him walk and sign with Buffalo but trade for him in February at a prorated cap hit. You know he's a good fit already and you know he won't break the bank, plus it's not like they were going to miss the playoffs by letting Buffalo have him for a few months. It's almost like subletting an apartment. @DKH I think had this figured out a while ago.

Reactions: Curls13 and Strafer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
F
The panthers are looking more and more like they won't make it this year. I agree with those who have a natural right winger first on our needs. I think Mike Hoffman or Evgeni Dadonov would look good on our second line.

Florida is only 4 points behind Toronto with two games in hand.

They have 27 games remaining. Don't think they are in sellers mode.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I am pretty sure it applies to all contracts. What makes you think otherwise?

If the contract is multi year, then the team needs to have the available room in the cap the following season as well. It can't exceed a certain "tagging" amount (usually cap ceiling).

So hypothetically if the Bruins had 4 million in cap room on deadline day. They could take back two 8 million cap hit players. But they would also need 16 million in cap free for next season as well.

Reactions: lopey

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If the contract is multi year, then the team needs to have the available room in the cap the following season as well. It can't exceed a certain "tagging" amount (usually cap ceiling).

So hypothetically if the Bruins had 4 million in cap room on deadline day. They could take back two 8 million cap hit players. But they would also need 16 million in cap free for next season as well.
I guess my question would be when do they need to have the cap space available for next season? At the time of the trade? Or some time in the summer?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And in the last 5 years its netted them 1 SCF appearance....the same about of appearances as Boston. For a team that "at least makes moves and tries to push for a cup" you'd think they'd have more SCF appearances than a team that makes smaller deals.

They went to finals in -15, Eastern finals -16& -18.

They have been an elite team for years and if faced in the playoffs not a joke, or playoff chokers, and a move for Coleman for sure don't make them worse.

People just love to laugh at them.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I guess my question would be when do they need to have the cap space available for next season? At the time of the trade? Or some time in the summer?

I believe its on the books as of the day the trade is made. The Bruins shouldn't run into this issue since I believe they have roughly 18 million free as of right now next season.

But a team that has a lot of money already tied up for the following seasons wouldn't be able to take on a multi year deadline pickup even if it fits into their cap this season.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
people keep talking about overpayment for Coleman and how he doesn't meet the Bruins needs, but I'd have been elated with a haul of Coleman (3LW) + Toffoli (2RW) and I think they probably had the assets to get both (though it sounds like they were outbid on Coleman so who knows).
My hope is that Sweeney adds a 2nd line RW & a bottom 6 physical winger with scoring pop. Coleman would’ve fit here perfectly and filled a need, it’s just a secondary need IMO. I’d rather save that 1st for the RW and use lesser assets for a Coleman type.
Perspective. Tampa has different needs, hence they felt comfortable moving their assets for Coleman.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I believe its on the books as of the day the trade is made. The Bruins shouldn't run into this issue since I believe they have roughly 18 million free as of right now next season.

But a team that has a lot of money already tied up for the following seasons wouldn't be able to take on a multi year deadline pickup even if it fits into their cap this season.
ah that makes sense, and that's why you don't see this mentioned as much...most teams have lots of money coming off the books every summer so it's usually a non-issue.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
ah that makes sense, and that's why you don't see this mentioned as much...most teams have lots of money coming off the books every summer so it's usually a non-issue.

Arizona only has 1.5 in cap room next year according to Capfriendly. So even if they hypothetically had the room this year to take on a big multi year deal, they can't due to the tagging rule.

The tagging rule usually comes into play when it comes to re-signing your own guys.

The rule states that you have to base your cap off the current years salary cap. So we know in the following years the cap is going to rise, but if you are trying to sign multiple core guys long term you can be handcuffed. That's why a lot of teams try to stagger when their big contracts will be up for renewal. It's also why teams wait until the offseason to get new contracts in place for their RFA's.

Don't want to commit too much cap on the books that could handcuff you prematurely. In the summer you can move out some pieces to free up money and then re-sign.

Reactions: Flannelman

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
F

Florida is only 4 points behind Toronto with two games in hand.

They have 27 games remaining. Don't think they are in sellers mode.
Florida wants to upgrade their defence. They would trade him for some solid d. Bruins have D. I always wondered what John Moore was worth. Sadly I feel like he isn’t worth as much as I’d hope. I like John Moore. I just find he is the odd man out. When ever he plays I find he is generally the worst D for the Bruins. But it’s not because he is bad. Just not as good as the other guys on the roster.

Reactions: Curls13 and Strafer

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

They have been an elite team for years and if faced in the playoffs not a joke, or playoff chokers, and a move for Coleman for sure don't make them worse.

Are they laughing at them or the over-payment for Coleman? Again they make all these moves, but their success isn't much different than Boston and Boston rarely gets the hot TDL targets. I get why they did it because they need to go for it now before their cap situation gets messy. Tampa has roughly $6 million in cap space for next season (before the cap increase) and only has 14 players signed.

Reactions: Lo97

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
btw, been meaning to reply to this:
@Estlin

re: Johansson, I was pissed they let him walk, but in hindsight realize it was a good move because it let Bjork into the lineup and they couldn't afford him at the start of the season anyway. I was staunchly against paying assets to trade for a guy that they let walk but came to realize that what they'd really be giving up assets for is the chance to only pay Jojo for 1.5 seasons, but still have him for potentially 3 playoff runs. It's kind of a brilliant move if you think about it. Let him walk and sign with Buffalo but trade for him in February at a prorated cap hit. You know he's a good fit already and you know he won't break the bank, plus it's not like they were going to miss the playoffs by letting Buffalo have him for a few months. It's almost like subletting an apartment. @DKH I think had this figured out a while ago.

That does make sense re Johansson, but I still don't see Sweeney trading for him again. Surely he is focused on filling the #2 RW hole (with, I hope, Rakell). Bjork is, I believe, a better (and cheaper) Johansson, so why waste assets to bring in a player who will be redundant? Assuming that Heinen will soon be out the door, the third line will benefit immensely from a shoot-first player. A player such as Toffoli, not Johansson, would be a better fit on that line.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I do not laugh.Coleman would be 4th leading goal scorer on Bruins.Not 1 player outside top line in Boston has as many goals.3rd line here my butt.That said he is Tampa player and Bruins need to focus on fixing their 2nd line.Sweeney is under the gun this deadline for sure .

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The panthers are looking more and more like they won't make it this year. I agree with those who have a natural right winger first on our needs. I think Mike Hoffman or Evgeni Dadonov would look good on our second line.
Panthers aren’t out of it yet . The Leafs have a tough schedule over the next two weeks : Pittsburgh twice , Tampa , Carolina and Florida upcoming.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
My hope is that Sweeney adds a 2nd line RW & a bottom 6 physical winger with scoring pop. Coleman would’ve fit here perfectly and filled a need, it’s just a secondary need IMO. I’d rather save that 1st for the RW and use lesser assets for a Coleman type.
Perspective. Tampa has different needs, hence they felt comfortable moving their assets for Coleman.
Palmieri and Wood sound like they fit your criteria.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I do not laugh.Coleman would be 4th leading goal scorer on Bruins.Not 1 player outside top line in Boston has as many goals.3rd line here my butt.That said he is Tampa player and Bruins need to focus on fixing their 2nd line.Sweeney is under the gun this deadline for sure .

I disagree that Sweeney feels any pressure. Bruins are one of the best teams on the planet. So if he lands some big fish or not he will be fine.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

33 even strength and 6 short handed goals last two years. Only 4 pp goals. Tied for 52nd EVG from last year through this one. Also has about 400 hits combined the past two seasons (this one isn't even over)..gives them their 5th 20 goal scorer (3 other guys have more than 13 as well)

Reactions: Strafer

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Don’t agree, could the Bruins beat Tampa or the Caps in a 7 game series with this current team,I really have my doubts.
The bruins can beat any team in the league. They could lose to both those teams too. But they could beat those teams. There is no reason to think otherwise at this point. This is one of the most dominant bruins teams I’ve ever seen. Best defence in the east imo. Good goalies. Basically needs one right winger to be perfect. I’d really like to see Boston retain its first. Ppl are saying this years draft is the best since 2003? Which would be a shame to waste the pick and not win the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad