Proposal: ALL Bruins rumors/proposals V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
While you need to always stay cap aware, you cannot be fearful of making current moves/signings based on future prospects. Haven't we seen many can't miss prospects never touch the TD Garden Ice.

Like I said I hope he gets re-signed but wonder what will happen to him in the future, with the LD depth does he have a longterm future in Boston.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
[/B]
Chia is not the G.M. anymore, thankfully.

I don't think 5/5 is a bad deal at all, actually. That is only 7% of the total cap as it currently sits, lower if there is a cap increase coming.

Nick Leddy would be a decent comparable - same age, made the same $3.4M in a one year RFA deal last year, then got a long term 5.5M/7y deal this year.

I like Krug more, and I think a lesser cap hit would be a good deal. Ideally, we could lock him up for $5M/7y, but I'm not sure Krug would take it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
While you need to always stay cap aware, you cannot be fearful of making current moves/signings based on future prospects. Haven't we seen many can't miss prospects never touch the TD Garden Ice.

Half the prospects we think are can't miss won't play more than 1 season in the NHL.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
I don't think 5/5 is a bad deal at all, actually. That is only 7% of the total cap as it currently sits, lower if there is a cap increase coming.

Nick Leddy would be a decent comparable - same age, made the same $3.4M in a one year RFA deal last year, then got a long term 5.5M/7y deal this year.

I like Krug more, and I think a lesser cap hit would be a good deal. Ideally, we could lock him up for $5M/7y, but I'm not sure Krug would take it.

Leddy and Boychuk are both overpaid. The Islanders are trying to build and they're not an attractive UFA destination, so they had to overpay to keep for those core players they acquired via trade.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Then off he goes. I know he plays top 4 here, not sure he would be anywhere else. I don't go any more than two years with him at that kind of money. Kid takes a beating out there.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm afraid we have a block on the D then, Chara will probably be here for 2 more years after this and I highly doubt it will take so long for those 2, Seids is a must move player to me and McQuaid in a year or 2.

Classic example of counting your chickens before they hatch.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Like I said I hope he gets re-signed but wonder what will happen to him in the future, with the LD depth does he have a longterm future in Boston.

Krug is 24 for ****'s sake. Of course he's in the long term plan for the Bruins. You obsess too much about youth.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Classic example of counting your chickens before they hatch.

So wondering is not allowed here?
But no matter what I see Seids being a must move player next year.

Krug is 24 for ****'s sake. Of course he's in the long term plan for the Bruins. You obsess too much about youth.

I was just wondering and stiiiiiiiiiiill hope we re-sign him.

But I do have high hopes for Zboril and especially Lauzon, and their potential is higher than Krugs.
Would be time for Julien to give up his LD-RD obsession.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
But I do have high hopes for Zboril and especially Lauzon, and their potential is higher than Krugs.
Would be time for Julien to give up his LD-RD obsession.

He's not wrong though, you pencil in every young prospect whether it's forward or defense as making the team at some point in the near future. I wouldn't count on any of the 2015 draft picks being around until they hit 21 at the earliest with most closer to 23, especially the d-men. Pastrnak is the exception, not the rule.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's not wrong though, you pencil in every young prospect whether it's forward or defense as making the team at some point in the near future. I wouldn't count on any of the 2015 draft picks being around until they hit 21 at the earliest with most closer to 23, especially the d-men. Pastrnak is the exception, not the rule.

I never say will make, hope to make or something like that.
I had zero rookies making it into our forward group this year, my hope was that Colin/Morrow earns a roster spot and they are a bit different story compared to 2015 draftees.

Chychrun/Pulju/Matthews sure I've had in the lineups if would win the lottery, but they are elite potential players, with size, 6'2-6'4 200/+200lbs, elite skating, IQ, NHL readiness and all.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Very rarely do you ever worry about moving a vet who can play just to make room for a kid. Once the kid is established maybe you make moves to open room.

On the other hand teams make moves to manage the cap/budget all the time. On the question of resigning Krug it will come down to our opinion if he is a 20-23 min per night top 4 man we can win with. There's zero question he's a he'll of an asset on the pp. And so far this year he has played better than i expected 5 on 5.

I might wait until the off-season before talking contract as I personally still worry how he will fair in tougher tighter physical games as a top 4 guy

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Very rarely do you ever worry about moving a vet who can play just to make room for a kid. Once the kid is established maybe you make moves to open room.

On the other hand teams make moves to manage the cap/budget all the time. On the question of resigning Krug it will come down to our opinion if he is a 20-23 min per night top 4 man we can win with. There's zero question he's a he'll of an asset on the pp. And so far this year he has played better than i expected 5 on 5.

I might wait until the off-season before talking contract as I personally still worry how he will fair in tougher tighter physical games as a top 4 guy

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
How did you come to this conclusion? Can't just say any prospect automatically has top 4 potential.

Ultimately you can't really put limits on a prospects potential, if Krug entered the draft with a scout saying top 4 potential he probably would have been drafted. Now Zboril and Lauzon have something that Krug can never learn which is size. Zboril and Lauzon are quick on their feet and have decent hands but they aren't so easy to push off a puck.

Lauzon has shown great growth this year as well and has looked like our top D prospect. Zboril from what I can tell (haven't seen him play) is playing uninterested a lot of nights. Which doesn't tell us anything beyond we can't see his progress being made if he is making it internally.

Chudinov and O'gara also have top 4 potential and are closer to their ceilings in the meantime. Heck even Cross could keep improving his game to become a top 4 even if it is really unlikely.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Chychrun/Pulju/Matthews sure I've had in the lineups if would win the lottery, but they are elite potential players, with size, 6'2-6'4 200/+200lbs, elite skating, IQ, NHL readiness and all.

To be fair no one has any idea whether those guys will be ready immediately for the NHL. It is unfair to expect any guy drafted that young to play a game with such a speed and toughness upgrade from what they're playing in junior.

Sure they look like great potential players down the road, but expecting any kid to be immediately ready to contribute in a meaningful fashion at NHL level is ridiculous. Top 5 or no.

Some of them are and that's great, but that shouldn't be an expectation.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
To be fair no one has any idea whether those guys will be ready immediately for the NHL. It is unfair to expect any guy drafted that young to play a game with such a speed and toughness upgrade from what they're playing in junior.

Sure they look like great potential players down the road, but expecting any kid to be immediately ready to contribute in a meaningful fashion at NHL level is ridiculous. Top 5 or no.

Some of them are and that's great, but that shouldn't be an expectation.

Hedman is about as close to perfect a D prospect you could hope for and 6 years later he is starting to be that #1 D everyone in Tampa was hoping for. He hasn't been bad to this point, but you don't go from juniors to NHL star over night, unless you are a once a decade talent.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Hedman is about as close to perfect a D prospect you could hope for and 6 years later he is starting to be that #1 D everyone in Tampa was hoping for. He hasn't been bad to this point, but you don't go from juniors to NHL star over night, unless you are a once a decade talent.

Exactly. When you do everything right bringing them along, defensemen still take years on average from when they leave junior.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I never say will make, hope to make or something like that.
I had zero rookies making it into our forward group this year, my hope was that Colin/Morrow earns a roster spot and they are a bit different story compared to 2015 draftees.

Actually, I've seen you make lots and lots of posts penciling players in the lineup as early as next year and not say "hope to make or something like that".

Anyway, that's besides the point. What I really came here to say is you watch lots of hockey, so give me your opinion of this:

Last edited:

Hockey64

Nov 6, 2014
Western Mass
Smothering defense that gives the opponents the illusion there must be too many men

Not sure what all the concern is about our defense:)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Actually, I've seen you make lots and lots of posts penciling players in the lineup as early as next year and not say "hope to make or something like that".

Anyway, that's besides the point. What I really came here to say is you watch lots of hockey, so give me your opinion of this:

I didn't know there was such a thing as a 6 on 3 power play...

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Ultimately you can't really put limits on a prospects potential, if Krug entered the draft with a scout saying top 4 potential he probably would have been drafted. Now Zboril and Lauzon have something that Krug can never learn which is size. Zboril and Lauzon are quick on their feet and have decent hands but they aren't so easy to push off a puck.

You cannot also make plans based on potential that is nowhere near proven. Scouts not considering Krug's top 4 potential were clearly wrong. Lets not act like Krug has peaked, he is only 24 going into his 3rd season.

Lauzon has shown great growth this year as well and has looked like our top D prospect. Zboril from what I can tell (haven't seen him play) is playing uninterested a lot of nights. Which doesn't tell us anything beyond we can't see his progress being made if he is making it internally.

Chudinov and O'gara also have top 4 potential and are closer to their ceilings in the meantime. Heck even Cross could keep improving his game to become a top 4 even if it is really unlikely.

Do not get me wrong, Lauzon excites me, Zboril could be a stud too, but for one, you can theoretically say anyone has top 4 potential, including my unborn son or someone as unlikely as Cross. I also find it tough to argue these two guys have higher potential than one of the top PP dmen in the league who still is extremely young. You could argue him being a future #2 defensemen to the same extent as someone arguing Zboril will never be more than a third pair dman. Prospects are very easy assets to make, but established players are very easy mistakes to move. I like the team giving a lot of these young guys a shot right now, but I want to contend soon and moving veterans to make space for potential is the wrong idea.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I never write will make,
I had zero forward rookies to make it this year, I used words hoping to win, dreaming, potentially for Morrow/Colin and they are 23y, I have right now with what we got zero forward rookies again making it next year but I would love to see Heinen/JFK surprise and I'm again hoping that one of the prospects could win 3rd pairing spot next year.
So is that too much to ask? I hope it isn't or I'm afraid for our prospect pool.
I would like to have atleast some expectations for the prospects.

I think that's a pretty strong hockey play :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad