Proposal: ALL Bruins rumors/proposals V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm starting to think we are in the worst situation in our division, (not league wide but our division) so what next?

Yes we have lots of young talent which is great and I like it, but we don't have any elite potential prospects or elite young players as you know and as you said you need if you want to win.
Lou is our best winger and probably will/would/could be for the next few years and our core guys are around 30 and Chara 38y and we lack top potential prospects.

If Lou gets sold Krejci/Bergeron's primes are at risk.

I'd try to sign Lou for 3-4y deal and trade our picks+ whatever prospects it would take to get a top5 pick and give us a chance to fight now and in the future.
Or I would trade more than just Lou and try to give us a prospect pool with we could fight in our division, try to get few top10 picks.

But Lou must not be able to walk for free in the offseason.

What your suggesting (and your right to a degree) is a "have your cake and eat it too" where Boston continues to hold onto valuable veteran guys like Eriksson, but at the same time tries to get into a draft position through trade to acquire some top-end young talent such as Chychrun. Very difficult to do when those picks will likely be owned by true rebuilding teams (see TO, Buf, Ariz, soon to be Carolina and possibly NJ) and doubtful either of them would have any interest in dropping down even a handful of spots to acquire say for example one year of Marchand. Maybe if Boston packages the likes of Pasta, C.Miller, Zboril, etc. with that pick they could be enticed but even then I seriously doubt those types of teams make a move like that.

But your right, as far as young cores go within our division Boston's is probably the weakest. Bruins have depth at every position but very little in the "high-end" variety.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What your suggesting (and your right to a degree) is a "have your cake and eat it too" where Boston continues to hold onto valuable veteran guys like Eriksson, but at the same time tries to get into a draft position through trade to acquire some top-end young talent such as Chychrun. Very difficult to do when those picks will likely be owned by true rebuilding teams (see TO, Buf, Ariz, soon to be Carolina and possibly NJ) and doubtful either of them would have any interest in dropping down even a handful of spots to acquire say for example one year of Marchand. Maybe if Boston packages the likes of Pasta, C.Miller, Zboril, etc. with that pick they could be enticed but even then I seriously doubt those types of teams make a move like that.

But your right, as far as young cores go within our division Boston's is probably the weakest. Bruins have depth at every position but very little in the "high-end" variety.

I'd be willing to do a mini rebuild.
Trade Marchand, Eriksson, (Connolly) early enough and get few top 5/10 picks, trades/signings in the offseason and there you go.
But I doubt Sweeney is, so then have to plan what's the 2nd best option and how do ice a team that can compete now and in the future.

I just don't see us going anywhere if we let Beleskey take Lous' spot in the top6 and get a 2nd pairing D, Buffalo/Florida will improve too much and Toronto soon after.

Remember again that our picks can end up being anything, if San Jose declines badly and we have a 8th overall pick I can't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to get into top5.

Last edited:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Remember again that our picks can end up being anything, if San Jose declines badly and we have a 8th overall pick I can't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to get into top5.

Biggest reason, the teams that have top 5 picks don't want to move out of the top 5...

I can't remember a trade on draft day of recent that a significant top 5 pick was moved. There's always talk that team x is willing to move a top pick, but it hasn't happened often.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'd be willing to do a mini rebuild.
Trade Marchand, Eriksson, (Connolly) early enough and get few top 5/10 picks, trades/signings in the offseason and there you go.
But I doubt Sweeney is, so then have to plan what's the 2nd best option and how do ice a team that can compete now and in the future.

I just don't see us going anywhere if we let Beleskey take Lous' spot in the top6 and get a 2nd pairing D, Buffalo/Florida will improve too much and Toronto soon after.

That's almost unrealistic though. Teams don't trade top-5 picks.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Thread full of wishful thinking with trades and prospects. To early to tell what's going to happen, and to base trades and ideas on how jr or college players are going to pan out is homerish at best. Trading players in the current roster because players drafted in 2015 will come in and replace them, hoping draftees in the lottery can help? This teams needs quite a it of work. Sweeney definitely needs to think about how he's going to proceed. Maybe he has a plan now going in 10 games already. Idk. We can't react to every game result. We need to play the waiting game.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
While I'm no different than most on here with the reactionary ideas of trading just about everyone, I still think it's way to early to know where we are going. Our record is comparable to some pretty good teams. I'm not saying we are on their level but still to early to say exactly where we are. As soon as Claude figures out that Miller is not a #2 and that Morrow is the better player , we should see improvement.

Tampa 8-8-2
Chicago 8-7-1
Winnipeg 8-7-2
Detroit 8-7-1

These are some pretty good teams that are playing at a mediocre level right now I think they will do better going forward and I hope the Bruins will too.

Injuries have plagued us again this year and have cost us games, hopefully we can stay healthy going forward. I know that sounds like excuses but we have had more than our share of Key players out of the line-up. The amount of man games is irrelevant, it's who is out that is more important.

Chara being out probably cost us a least one game
Rask playing below par probably cost us at least 1 game
Pasta being out probably cost us at least 1 game
Hell maybe even Kelly might have cost us one and maybe Sieds too.
There's a lot of maybe there so for the sake of argument let's just take two games. Our record would look very different if we were 9-5-1. I get that loses like Wednesday are very disheartening but every team has games like those . I'm not predicting anything but what ails this team can be remedied to a reasonable extent.

With the exception of the Colorado game we have pretty much won the games we expected to win and lost the ones we expected to lose, at least that's the way I saw them.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
If we trade players I really don't want draft picks coming back, I would much rather play a little higher for a kid on the verge of making the NHL. Needs to be a defenseman that has the ceiling of top pairing. I know we could pry one from a defensively strong, offensively struggling team. Off the top of my head Nashville, and St. Louis I think could use a deal. Tampa is also a little weak on the right and Loui could fill in there.

Slater Koekkoek or Anthony Deangelo from Tampa are along the lines of what I'm thinking. Young guys currently playing professionally that could be significant contributors in 2 years time. I think it will take about 2 years for the current kids to develop into a good team. We have the kids on offense, just need to get the D figured out.

As far as top talent goes, Pasta and Heinen I think are both capable of being high end players along with atleast one but I expect 2 or 3 really good players from the 2015 draft. Beyond that we have Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand who I expect to be good players for atleast 4 more years, and help the new kids adjust and take responsibility for the team.

I just think if we got someone like Chychrun, it would be great for our long term future, but he is probably 4 years from being what we need. I would be chasing the slightly shorter term equivalent. Value is in deep teams chasing for a cup.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I need dealer Don to come back. He has the difficult task of turning this team into a cup contender next year. Bergeron and Krejci are in their primes and soon to be exiting their primes. We have a window of probably 2-3 years to ice a cup contender. Get on it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the retool needs to continue with the trade of Chara, as unpopular and most likely detrimental to their chances this year, but it has to happen IMO. The fact that he is playing relatively well and getting on the score sheet right now should have him looking a little more attractive.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
While I'm no different than most on here with the reactionary ideas of trading just about everyone, I still think it's way to early to know where we are going. Our record is comparable to some pretty good teams. I'm not saying we are on their level but still to early to say exactly where we are. As soon as Claude figures out that Miller is not a #2 and that Morrow is the better player , we should see improvement.

Tampa 8-8-2
Chicago 8-7-1
Winnipeg 8-7-2
Detroit 8-7-1

These are some pretty good teams that are playing at a mediocre level right now I think they will do better going forward and I hope the Bruins will too.

Injuries have plagued us again this year and have cost us games, hopefully we can stay healthy going forward. I know that sounds like excuses but we have had more than our share of Key players out of the line-up. The amount of man games is irrelevant, it's who is out that is more important.

Chara being out probably cost us a least one game
Rask playing below par probably cost us at least 1 game
Pasta being out probably cost us at least 1 game
Hell maybe even Kelly might have cost us one and maybe Sieds too.
There's a lot of maybe there so for the sake of argument let's just take two games. Our record would look very different if we were 9-5-1. I get that loses like Wednesday are very disheartening but every team has games like those . I'm not predicting anything but what ails this team can be remedied to a reasonable extent.

With the exception of the Colorado game we have pretty much won the games we expected to win and lost the ones we expected to lose, at least that's the way I saw them.

Interesting analysis, and you could very well be right.

Just to be devil's advocate, I might respond and say that several of our actual wins were the result of a power play with a success rate that was statistically improbable-- helped by a spate of games against weak/below average teams (Colorado, Arizona X2, Philly, etc)-- and once that regressed to the mean, we would look more like the team we will be at the end of the season.

For example, Krejci's monster 17pts are largely a result of a 7 game stretch wherein he had 13pts (Tampa, Col, Ariz, Phi, NYI, Ariz, Fla), with 7 of those pts on the power play.

Outside that 7 game stretch, Krejci has 4 pts in 8 games, and 1 power play pt.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Interesting analysis, and you could very well be right.

Just to be devil's advocate, I might respond and say that several of our actual wins were the result of a power play with a success rate that was statistically improbable-- helped by a spate of games against weak/below average teams (Colorado, Arizona X2, Philly, etc)-- and once that regressed to the mean, we would look more like the team we will be at the end of the season.

For example, Krejci's monster 17pts are largely a result of a 7 game stretch wherein he had 13pts (Tampa, Col, Ariz, Phi, NYI, Ariz, Fla), with 7 of those pts on the power play.

Outside that 7 game stretch, Krejci has 4 pts in 8 games, and 1 power play pt.

I think it's likely that both PP success and PK failure rate regress to the mean over the course of the season. Also have to think the team SV% has got to come up over the course of 82. I think the most likely scenario is by the end of the season, the B's are scoring less, giving up fewer and still a middle of the pack team. I think the record is probably reflective of the team's status right now just experiencing some bizarrely offsetting extremes at the moment.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think it's likely that both PP success and PK failure rate regress to the mean over the course of the season. Also have to think the team SV% has got to come up over the course of 82. I think the most likely scenario is by the end of the season, the B's are scoring less, giving up fewer and still a middle of the pack team. I think the record is probably reflective of the team's status right now just experiencing some bizarrely offsetting extremes at the moment.

Great points. It really has been an unusual start.

The Bruins, coached by Claude Julien, with the NHL's best power play unit but terrible on the penalty kill?! Truly bizarre.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
According to TSN hockey insider Darren Dreger, with Tuukka Rask signed long-term and the addition of Zane McIntyre to the Bruins family in Providence, there is reason to believe a rebuilding team like Toronto or Arizona would have interest in acquiring Malcolm Subban from the Boston Bruins.

http://www.tsn.ca/dreger-report-more-on-those-duchene-trade-rumours-1.393191

I would deal Subban. Rask gonna be around a while (hope he gets back to form).

Wonder if Arizona would part with Michael Stone in exchange for Subban. Replace K.Miller's minutes..

Chara-C.Miller
Seidenberg-Stone
Krug-McQuaid

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Wonder if Arizona would part with Michael Stone in exchange for Subban. Replace K.Miller's minutes..

Chara-C.Miller
Seidenberg-Stone
Krug-McQuaid

I think a deal of Koko, Subban, Morrow gets a pretty good defenseman. Atleast that's my hope.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm wary of them dealing away any vets this season.
8 of their 12 forwards weren't on the team this time last year. That's a lot of turnover. And though I don't blame the kids and new faces for the losses, they also aren't doing enough to win games just yet. Krejci, Bergeron, Eriksson and Marchand have kept this team afloat so far - and it's noticeable when they aren't having good games/ week as nobody really seems quite ready to pick up the slack just yet.

I'll always take playoffs over picks. Just my philosophy of building a team. Getting Pastrnak, Spooner, Connolly, Vatrano, Hayes, Kemps, Randall a taste of the playoffs to build on trumps another draft pick - and don't think they have a chance to make them without the vets leading the charge.

Most of us here remember Julien's first year when he took a mediocre team to the 8th seed and pushed Montreal to 7 games. It was a turning point for the franchise and did a lot more than drafting Kessel and Hammil.

I like COC's idea of Stone.
If they can move a prospect or two or one of their young d and a pick for an upgrade on RHD - I'd go that route. For me - doesn't even have to be that young - but someone that can solidify the top 4 for the next few years.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
We have no idea what we'll have at the draft so we can't say for sure, there are teams that are always thinking about it.

"I can't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to get into a top-5 pick"

Those were your words not mine. Look back in the past 10 years & tell me how often a team has traded out of the top-5. Lots of day dreaming in this thread. As Chizzler said, "wishful thinking".

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Chara-C.Miller
Seidenberg-Stone
Krug-McQuaid

Interesting name and absolutely sounds like a fit. That's the kind of guy we need.

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX

Would be a awesome pickup for the 4th or even 3rd line. Kid hustles every shift, will hit you through a wall, and has some scoring touch. Also he is from MA.......

bigdukesix

Jul 12, 2015
wouldn`t be too sure of that

1 with one NHL game

1 with 6 I believe and another with 15, not sure what kind of return that gets?

I believe Subban has some value. Dreger recently wrote that other teams have inquired with the Bruins about him. I seriously doubt Morrow or Koko are worth a whole lot. They both look like JAGs right now.

Bruins fans need to be realistic and accept that we're not getting a quality piece like a good defenseman without giving up some assets we would rather not part with.

BigBadBruins63*

Would be a awesome pickup for the 4th or even 3rd line. Kid hustles every shift, will hit you through a wall, and has some scoring touch. Also he is from MA.......

Wouldn't mind him for a 4th line pickup. Hasn't registered a point in his NHL career thus far, but he's only played 20 games, and it's tough to crack that ANA roster.

Why not? Can't be any worse than what we've been using to begin with.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"I can't see a reason why we shouldn't be able to get into a top-5 pick"

Those were your words not mine. Look back in the past 10 years & tell me how often a team has traded out of the top-5. Lots of day dreaming in this thread. As Chizzler said, "wishful thinking".

And you said we can't to which I said you can't be sure.

I just can't see how else Sweeney is going to fight against other teams in our division, mid picks just won't do it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
If we decide to rebuild more then shop chara/rask/eriksson
if we decide we can compete then shop subban/our pick/our prospect

At the moment im on the fence... so id wait and evaluate more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad