Proposal: ALL Bruins rumors/proposals V

Status
Not open for further replies.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Ah, the same old story: he does not fit here...

Loui has been one of our best forwards since last year. Yeah, let's forget his concussions.

I'm sure most of us have forgot about Bergeron's when looking at his play, but Loui won't get this benefit because 100% he was the main piece in the Seguin trade. Really don't understand the criticism he gets on here...but I can see where it is coming from.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can see one or the other but not both. Maybe I'm pessimistic due to returns the Bruins have got in the past for more desirable players.

Lucic trade.

Lou can be one of the most wanted players at the deadline and make a huge impact on a all in team, retain on him if needed and take the max return which then should be a pretty strong one.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I'm sure most of us have forgot about Bergeron's when looking at his play, but Loui won't get this benefit because 100% he was the main piece in the Seguin trade. Really don't understand the criticism he gets on here...but I can see where it is coming from.

Couldn't agree more. Seguin trade was really bad and since then I've totally lost faith on Chiarelli, but some people can't see (or choose not) his importance to this team. Not saying we should re-sign him "whatever it takes", it means 1st + top prospect would be hard to say no, imo.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You know Dom, I think with the FO changes I think the odds may be better now. But thats me.

I hope so Wally, but I don't see any new faces, just the deck has been shuffled and one guy got the boot. Unless you count the scouts.

Gretz still runs the scouting department (although different time) and the managerial staff that helped out is still there.

I hope you're right

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I hope so Wally, but I don't see any new faces, just the deck has been shuffled and one guy got the boot. Unless you count the scouts.

Gretz still runs the scouting department and the managerial staff that helped out is still there.

I hope you're right

All I got is hope.
:D

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
I can see one or the other but not both. Maybe I'm pessimistic due to returns the Bruins have got in the past for more desirable players.

Vermette to Chicago for 1st and young dman. Loui will return more than that.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Couldn't agree more. Seguin trade was really bad and since then I've totally lost faith on Chiarelli, but some people can't see (or choose not) his importance to this team. Not saying we should re-sign him "whatever it takes", it means 1st + top prospect would be hard to say no, imo.

Right, I'd field any offers and a 1st + top prospect would be great if we would get a similar return as to what Chicago paid for Vermette. But it seems like there are plenty here that just want him gone regardless. Like re-signing him if we get no offers is a failure.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Vermette to Chicago for 1st and young dman. Loui will return more than that.

Really? If more not by much. Vermette was THE biggest fish available, in a relatively small pond of available players. More a case of supply and demand than the actual talent level of the player.

Maybe add in a mid-range prospect. But if the Bruins could get back the same deal as Arizona got for Vermette than they should be happy.

Granted this is contingent on the Bruins being clearly out of the playoff race come the March deadline.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We are to the going in circles point on Loui.

Everyone realizes he is the teams best winger right now.

Some people think that even if that is the case, with where the team is at, using his $$$ on the D and getting some assets is a better move.

Other people think its crazy to give up your best winger to make room for an imaginary yet to be defined d-man.

Both totally fair points.

For me, it comes down to the fact that it is far easier to develop "good enough" wings and if there ever is a chance for the Bruins to get in a top D, I don't want them to be stuck because they don't have the cap space to do it.

Or, put another way, I trust a combo of Vatrano, Koko, Heinen, whomever to play in Loui's spot more than I trust Colin, Morrow, Zboril, Carlo, etc to solidify the D any time soon.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd argue that Loui is part of that problem. He is on pace for under 6 even strength goals this year while playing with Krejci.

How about his passing and players not being able to finish them?
I'm still saying D's puck moving is a huge reason for our low 5on5 scoring.

Sweeney is in tough position, he has to know our top prospects/young players can't fight against other teams in our division and our current team is average on our division.
So teams close to us have more potential to improve than we do, how do you fix that and avoid being average for years?

Risto+Eichel+Reinhart
Barkov+Ekblad+Huberdeau
Marner+Nylander+Reilly
Stamkos+Hedman+Johnson
Boston?
Trading Lou, not getting a top pairing D while drafting in the middle would be the worst option possible for me, that would be route to many mediocre years.

I also can't see us being better if we trade Lou and get a 2nd pairing D while drafting in the middle.
I'm praying Sweeney knows top5 pick is a must for Boston no matter what happens with Lou.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Sweeney is in tough position, he has to know our top prospects/young players can't fight against other teams in our division and our current team is average on our division.
So teams close to us have more potential to improve than we do, how do you fix that and avoid being average for years?

Risto+Eichel+Reinhart
Barkov+Ekblad+Huberdeau
Marner+Nylander+Reilly
Stamkos+Hedman+Johnson
Boston?
Trading Lou, not getting a top pairing D while drafting in the middle would be the worst option possible for me, that would be route to many mediocre years.

I also can't see us being better if we trade Lou and get a 2nd pairing D while drafting in the middle.
I'm praying Sweeney knows top5 pick is a must for Boston no matter what happens with Lou.

If Boston is looking like it's picking Top 5 (who knows what happens with the SJ pick) then this team is not even close to a playoff spot and trading Loui is a no-brainer at that point I would think. I can't see any asset Boston has that could get back a Top 5 pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Boston is looking like it's picking Top 5 (who knows what happens with the SJ pick) then this team is not even close to a playoff spot and trading Loui is a no-brainer at that point I would think. I can't see any asset Boston has that could get back a Top 5 pick.

Don't know about that, this should be our year.
Those picks can be anywhere from 6-20 and if we get a 3rd 1st pick we should have chances.
Also would you trade one of the 1sts' if it was in the 7-10 range+Marchand for Chyhcrun?

We have prospects, picks and players we can use on that pick but like I wrote earlier right now we have very little to fight in our own division when it comes to top prospects/young players.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Remember that, with the 2016 draft, every non-playoff team gets three cracks at a top-three pick, so Boston does not have to bottom out to draft first, second or third. To be sure, the worse that Boston does in the standings, the better the odds of drafting high.

There's already a 2016 draft lottery simulator out there: http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/. For sh*ts and giggles I ran it a few times; on the second go round, San José got the first overall pick. :laugh:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't know about that, this should be our year.
Those picks can be anywhere from 6-20 and if we get a 3rd 1st pick we should have chances.
Also would you trade one of the 1sts' if it was in the 7-10 range+Marchand for Chyhcrun?

We have prospects, picks and players we can use on that pick but like I wrote earlier right now we have very little to fight in our own division when it comes to top prospects/young players.

Why would a team give up Chyhcrun in exchange for a lesser prospect and one year of Marchand?

If the rebuilding Bruins are trading with another rebuilding team, how exactly is this trade supposed to work? Does this other rebuilding team not need a potential #1D? I guess you could overpay for the pick with a bunch of other picks, but doesn't that take away the Bruins new found competitive advantage of seemingly being good in the draft the last couple years? Seems like you would give up more than you would get, quite likely. Remember, when you look up and down the best D in the league, there are as many 2nd round picks as there are lottery picks. Weber, Karlsson, Keith, Gio, Subban...not a lottery pick there. Doughty was a lottery pick, but the graveyard of lottery pick D that didn't workout is very very large.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Remember that, with the 2016 draft, every non-playoff team gets three cracks at a top-three pick, so Boston does not have to bottom out to draft first, second or third. To be sure, the worse that Boston does in the standings, the better the odds of drafting high.

There's already a 2016 draft lottery simulator out there: http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/. For sh*ts and giggles I ran it a few times; on the second go round, San José got the first overall pick. :laugh:

All I'm saying is does it make any sense for Boston NOT to trade a UFA Eriksson at the deadline if it's clear that their won't make the playoffs. At least with Soderberg they still had a good shot at making it so they can justify holding onto him past the deadline.

But if they are clearly out of it by then, each and every 2016 UFA should be shipped out, including Eriksson. Anything less is insanity IMO.

I see no reason why they can't get a Vermette-like package for a UFA rental like Eriksson.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Risto+Eichel+Reinhart
Barkov+Ekblad+Huberdeau
Marner+Nylander+Reilly
Stamkos+Hedman+Johnson
Boston?

I am unclear on what you are arguing here.

You are arguing the Bruins need more young talent.

And you are arguing the Bruins should resign their post-prime talent at a position where they have young talent knocking.

You need elite talent and you need depth to win Cups. Thats why a Bruins core full of 2nd and 3rd rounders and worse has as many Cups as Crosby and Malkin. You need both. The Bruins seem to have found their groove at the draft. I'd like to give them the most chances to make good picks as possible, and give them the cap flexibility to make moves in the trade and RFA market.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I just got Boston/SJ 2nd and 3rd pick on my first try. Dynasty! :)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Any interest in Nikita Zaitsev? He's supposedly looking to come to the NHL. He's a two way RHD that's creating some buzz in other cities. Any chance check him out in a tournament he's scheduled to play in?
I know that the Bruins haven't had much luck with Russians but he seems intriguing.
I was just reading about him on the Trade Rumors board...
Here are a couple of interesting links:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-flames-canucks-pursuing-top-russian-prospect/

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/5/7/8565679/nikita-zaitsev-hockey-flyers

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
We are to the going in circles point on Loui.

Everyone realizes he is the teams best winger right now.

Some people think that even if that is the case, with where the team is at, using his $$$ on the D and getting some assets is a better move.

Other people think its crazy to give up your best winger to make room for an imaginary yet to be defined d-man.

Both totally fair points.

For me, it comes down to the fact that it is far easier to develop "good enough" wings and if there ever is a chance for the Bruins to get in a top D, I don't want them to be stuck because they don't have the cap space to do it.

Or, put another way, I trust a combo of Vatrano, Koko, Heinen, whomever to play in Loui's spot more than I trust Colin, Morrow, Zboril, Carlo, etc to solidify the D any time soon.

Good post, as usual winter.

Only problem I see, is that there's no incentive for Sweeney to consider moving Eriksson until the trade deadline, as that is when he'd get the most value (think the overpay for overrated Vermette); but what team would give up a #1 or #2 D, or even a future #1/2, at the trade deadline? If they are acquiring Eriksson, it's because they're in the hunt.

I suppose a team with a strong enough D to sacrifice a great young D for some additional scoring would be the best shot, but seems like very outside shot (Nashville? St. Louis?).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I am unclear on what you are arguing here.

You are arguing the Bruins need more young talent.

And you are arguing the Bruins should resign their post-prime talent at a position where they have young talent knocking.

You need elite talent and you need depth to win Cups. Thats why a Bruins core full of 2nd and 3rd rounders and worse has as many Cups as Crosby and Malkin. You need both. The Bruins seem to have found their groove at the draft. I'd like to give them the most chances to make good picks as possible, and give them the cap flexibility to make moves in the trade and RFA market.

I'm starting to think we are in the worst situation in our division, (not league wide but our division) so what next?

Yes we have lots of young talent which is great and I like it, but we don't have any elite potential prospects or elite young players as you know and as you said you need if you want to win.
Lou is our best winger and probably will/would/could be for the next few years and our core guys are around 30 and Chara 38y and we lack top potential prospects.

If Lou gets sold Krejci/Bergeron's primes are at risk.

I'd try to sign Lou for 3-4y deal and trade our picks+ whatever prospects it would take to get a top5 pick and give us a chance to fight now and in the future.
Or I would trade more than just Lou and try to give us a prospect pool with we could fight in our division, try to get few top10 picks.

But Lou must not be able to walk for free in the offseason.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

So... that lottery simulator is addictive. :laugh:

I keep clicking repeatedly, thinking eventually it'll show Boston with #1 and #2 picks and San Jose with #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad