Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Sell.

Reality is slapping the Bruins in the face. Sweeney is not adding a top pairing defenseman or waiving Hayes and company.

Sell and lament the wasted years of Bergeron and Marchand. It's tiring pointing out the fixes when it's clear the demolition will be more likely.

Agreed when things were good a few weeks ago that was the time to add a #3 guy for Krug to be his better half. Now they are down a #1 and #3 without Rask standing on his head its going be worse. Position of weakness now and no one is going help us. Should have got Shatt instead of Backes in my opinion. The elephant in the room is the direction of the team tactics and yes I mean a new coach its time

Last edited:

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
It's not happening, so I don't see the point of discussing it or bringing it up here.

Not when they just signed Marchand and Backes to long-term contracts in the past 6 months.

Everyone thought Pittsburgh as dead in the water this time last year.

They need to fire Julien and Sacco, cut the dead weight in Hayes, Kevan, and McQuaid for peanuts if they have to.

Bring in a coach who will tolerate defensive mistakes by young players in exchange for something resembling an NHL offense.

See I agree but we have been saying the same thing here for two years so...

I don't see the point in discussing adding a top pairing defenseman, cutting lose the bad players or trading for offensive help because of the same reason you posted.

So, let's discuss the opposite and maybe they will make a move we suggested over the last two years.:boredom:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
See I agree but we have been saying the same thing here for two years so...

I don't see the point in discussing adding a top pairing defenseman, cutting lose the bad players or trading for offensive help because of the same reason you posted.

So, let's discuss the opposite and maybe they will make a move we suggested over the last two years.:boredom:

Haha....you never know, it could work.

But your right. Go back to the start of the 2014-15 season, and we're still discussing the same old stuff. Massive holes in the line-up the management can't seem to repair. Julien relying on veterans who can't score to save their lives but he trust defensively so they get a pass. Young skilled players held accountable for even the smallest mistake. Inability to make in-game or pre-game adjustments. Going back to the well on lines and PP combos over and over.

Sad but it's all broken record stuff at this stage.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sell.

Reality is slapping the Bruins in the face. Sweeney is not adding a top pairing defenseman or waiving Hayes and company.

Sell and lament the wasted years of Bergeron and Marchand. It's tiring pointing out the fixes when it's clear the demolition will be more likely.

What are we going to sell? There aren't many players that are hot ticket items. Big contacts, long term.. If we're trading those players, it takes a long time to get a deal that works for both teams.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Haha....you never know, it could work.

But your right. Go back to the start of the 2014-15 season, and we're still discussing the same old stuff. Massive holes in the line-up the management can't seem to repair. Julien relying on veterans who can't score to save their lives but he trust defensively so they get a pass. Young skilled players held accountable for even the smallest mistake. Inability to make in-game or pre-game adjustments. Going back to the well on lines and PP combos over and over.

Sad but it's all broken record stuff at this stage.

Yup. We've beaten that horse to death going on three years now. So let's try the opposite (SELL SELL SELL!) and see if they make a move we've been begging for.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Yup. We've beaten that horse to death going on three years now. So let's try the opposite (SELL SELL SELL!) and see if they make a move we've been begging for.

Most of our core players will be done in 3-4 years, sell them now and re build.
Backes - 32
Bergy - 31
Krejci - 30
Beleskey - 28

They should all go at some point between this season and next year.

Keep:
Carlo
Krug
Spooner
Marchand
Vatrano
Rask

Sign Bjork as soon as you can, hopefully one of Zboril, Lauzon, O Gara and McAvoy can be a decent #2 or #3 dee in 1-2 years.

With the cap money we save, go all in for Taveras in 2 years.
Sign Shattenkirk and Michael Stone next year as UFA's.

Hope that with the other young kids we have, JFK, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Heinen, Cehlarik, Donato, Bjork, 2 of these can be a top 3 forward and 1-2 can be second liners.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Most of our core players will be done in 3-4 years, sell them now and re build.
Backes - 32
Bergy - 31
Krejci - 30
Beleskey - 28

They should all go at some point between this season and next year.

Keep:
Carlo
Krug
Spooner
Marchand
Vatrano
Rask

Sign Bjork as soon as you can, hopefully one of Zboril, Lauzon, O Gara and McAvoy can be a decent #2 or #3 dee in 1-2 years.

With the cap money we save, go all in for Taveras in 2 years.
Sign Shattenkirk and Michael Stone next year as UFA's.

Hope that with the other young kids we have, JFK, DeBrusk, Senyshyn, Heinen, Cehlarik, Donato, Bjork, 2 of these can be a top 3 forward and 1-2 can be second liners.

That's a ton of really young guys you are hoping to become really good, really fast and take on very big roles. Not to mention that Backes, Krejci, and Bergeron all have NMCs and NTCs. Beleskey is the only one you can realistically hope to get rid of, and he's likely sticking around to go to Vegas(I hope). This team is closer than we're giving them credit for. But we need to stop bringing in old/slow guys and giving them big contracts.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I saw an Islander fan on the trade board wondering what a Strome + De Haan package could return for them:
Krejci + Beleskey + Morrow for Strome + De Haan + Clutterbuck + (pick/prospect)

I think BruinDust proposed something like this earlier, but I modified it a bit:
Spooner + Czarnik + Kevan Miller for Hanzal + Stone

Also waive Hayes

Marchand - Bergeron - Strome
X - Backes - Pastrnak
X - Hanzal - X
Schaller - Moore - X
Clutterbuck/Nash/Acciari

X: Heinen/Cehlarik/DeBrusk/Clutterbuck/Nash/Acciari/Vatrano when he gets back

Chara - Carlo
Krug - Stone
De Haan - McQuaid/C. Miller/Liles
McQuaid/C. Miller/Liles

What do you guys think? Would you change anything? Do you agree or disagree with these trades?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I saw an Islander fan on the trade board wondering what a Strome + De Haan package could return for them:
Krejci + Beleskey + Morrow for Strome + De Haan + Clutterbuck + (pick/prospect)

I think BruinDust proposed something like this earlier, but I modified it a bit:
Spooner + Czarnik + Kevan Miller for Hanzal + Stone

Also waive Hayes

Marchand - Bergeron - Strome
X - Backes - Pastrnak
X - Hanzal - X
Schaller - Moore - X
Clutterbuck/Nash/Acciari

X: Heinen/Cehlarik/DeBrusk/Clutterbuck/Nash/Acciari/Vatrano when he gets back

Chara - Carlo
Krug - Stone
De Haan - McQuaid/C. Miller/Liles
McQuaid/C. Miller/Liles

What do you guys think? Would you change anything? Do you agree or disagree with these trades?

I'd do the Islander deal in a heartbeat. Get's the Bruins out of both the Krejci and Belesky contracts AND gives a nice return. Sign me up.

Problem is I see no way that Krejci agrees to go to the Islanders, especially with them reportedly playing at Barclay's but practicing out on Long Island.

The only issue with the Arizona deal is Czarnik. I think the Bruins need to keep him right now for the simple fact he's currently an NHL caliber player, and they need more of his skill-set on the current roster, especially if your dealing Spooner. A rental of Stone and Hanzal is a deal for today, so you need to keep what you have on your current roster as much as possible. Especially one that the current staff trusts to play both PP and PK. Rare for Julien.

Now swap out Czarnik with say a B-level prospect in the system, maybe even add a mid-range 3rd/4th rd pick, and I'm completely onboard.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I'd do the Islander deal in a heartbeat. Get's the Bruins out of both the Krejci and Belesky contracts AND gives a nice return. Sign me up.

Problem is I see no way that Krejci agrees to go to the Islanders, especially with them reportedly playing at Barclay's but practicing out on Long Island.

The only issue with the Arizona deal is Czarnik. I think the Bruins need to keep him right now for the simple fact he's currently an NHL caliber player, and they need more of his skill-set on the current roster, especially if your dealing Spooner. A rental of Stone and Hanzal is a deal for today, so you need to keep what you have on your current roster as much as possible. Especially one that the current staff trusts to play both PP and PK. Rare for Julien.

Now swap out Czarnik with say a B-level prospect in the system, maybe even add a mid-range 3rd/4th rd pick, and I'm completely onboard.
I think the Islanders trade works out for both teams. The poster who started the thread was looking for a top 6 RW, but I think the Islanders, who are missing Grabovski, benefit by adding a #1C behind Tavares which stabilizes their roster and pushes depth players playing in their top 6 into positions in the lineup they should be playing at.

The thing is like you mentioned is Krejci's NMC. It's something that is always brought up and should be because Krejci likes it here in Boston and decides whether he leaves or goes. If he is willing to waive, I think the Bruins should look for a deal similar to the one I proposed.

I would do the proposed Arizona deal as is or like you mentioned, replace Czarnik with a B-level prospect and a 3rd/4th. If the Bruins don't trade away Krejci, then I don't see the need for trading for someone like Hanzal.

I just think the Bruins need to do something trade-wise. If we expect Krejci to be a Bruin for the long run, we can't have Backes playing on his wing:

Marchand - Bergeron - X
X - Backes - Pastrnak
X - Krejci - X

In my opinion, the top 9 above should be what the Bruins top 9 should look like. If the Bruins want to keep their core forwards, forwards in the lineup above, and don't trust Spooner at C, they should package Spooner for a RW and a defenseman. I would also like for the Bruins to waive Hayes if no other team wants him, trade Beleskey, and fill the rest of the lineup with guys like Heinen, Cehlarik, DeBrusk, Vatrano, and Czarnik. Lines 2 and 3 right now are brutal and just swapping Spooner with Schaller (3rd to 4th, 4th to 3rd) in the lineup at today's practice isn't going to change the overall play from the forwards.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the Islanders trade works out for both teams. The poster who started the thread was looking for a top 6 RW, but I think the Islanders, who are missing Grabovski, benefit by adding a #1C behind Tavares which stabilizes their roster and pushes depth players playing in their top 6 into positions in the lineup they should be playing at.

The thing is like you mentioned is Krejci's NMC. It's something that is always brought up and should be because Krejci likes it here in Boston and decides whether he leaves or goes. If he is willing to waive, I think the Bruins should look for a deal similar to the one I proposed.

I would do the proposed Arizona deal as is or like you mentioned, replace Czarnik with a B-level prospect and a 3rd/4th. If the Bruins don't trade away Krejci, then I don't see the need for trading for someone like Hanzal.

I just think the Bruins need to do something trade-wise. If we expect Krejci to be a Bruin for the long run, we can't have Backes playing on his wing:

Marchand - Bergeron - X
X - Backes - Pastrnak
X - Krejci - X

In my opinion, the top 9 above should be what the Bruins top 9 should look like. If the Bruins want to keep their core forwards, forwards in the lineup above, and don't trust Spooner at C, they should package Spooner for a RW and a defenseman. I would also like for the Bruins to waive Hayes if no other team wants him, trade Beleskey, and fill the rest of the lineup with guys like Heinen, Cehlarik, DeBrusk, Vatrano, and Czarnik. Lines 2 and 3 right now are brutal and just swapping Spooner with Schaller (3rd to 4th, 4th to 3rd) in the lineup at today's practice isn't going to change the overall play from the forwards.

I'm completely onboard.

Belesky I'd move just to get out of that deal. But right now, (and I probably should of said this in the Islanders deal), he's a tough sell, would many teams be interested in a guy with 3 years left at 4 million per on pace for 8 goals and 20 pts? Not to mention he has some trade protection as well. He can probably be moved somehow but it's the "how" that is the issue.

But for the lines, your on track. I'd take it a step further and assume Belesky is staying.

Marchand - Bergeron - XXXX
XXXX - Backes - Pastrnak
Belesky - Krejci - XXXX
Schaller - Moore - XXXX

Assuming the current group is still here, mix and match Spooner, Czarnik, Nash, Hayes, Acciari, Vatrano, Kuraly, Heinen, Cehlarik, etc. accordlingly. But those should be the 4 lines of pairings that form the foundation of the forward group.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
On the Trade Board now:

To Bruins:

LW Evander Kane (25% Retained)
3.94 Million Cap Hit this year and Next

To Buffalo:

C Ryan Spooner
RW Jimmy Hayes
3.25 Million Cap Hit this year and Spooner raise next year

I know this board is divided on him with some hating the idea of bringing him in while others still fondly remember the Cooke K.O.

At 3.9 million this year and next with Hayes getting shipped out I think I really consider this. Only adding 690k salary annually and a Lucic-type power forward on Krejci's wing this year and next.

Unless you think you can get a #2 defenseman with Spooner as part of the package.

Remember, he is still ONLY 24!

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Kane - Krejci - Vatrano
Beleskey - Backes - Czarnik
Schaller - Moore - Acciari
Nash

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Marchand - Bergeron - X
X - Backes - Pastrnak
X - Krejci - X

I'm completely onboard.

Belesky I'd move just to get out of that deal. But right now, (and I probably should of said this in the Islanders deal), he's a tough sell, would many teams be interested in a guy with 3 years left at 4 million per on pace for 8 goals and 20 pts? Not to mention he has some trade protection as well. He can probably be moved somehow but it's the "how" that is the issue.

But for the lines, your on track. I'd take it a step further and assume Belesky is staying.

Marchand - Bergeron - XXXX
XXXX - Backes - Pastrnak
Belesky - Krejci - XXXX
Schaller - Moore - XXXX

Assuming the current group is still here, mix and match Spooner, Czarnik, Nash, Hayes, Acciari, Vatrano, Kuraly, Heinen, Cehlarik, etc. accordlingly. But those should be the 4 lines of pairings that form the foundation of the forward group.

I'm in favor of any trade and subsequent line formulation where Riley Nash-- literally one goal in 20 games-- is no longer our third line Center, FFS.

Spooner/Hayes problems aside, you can also say for Nash that it's easy to be defensively reliable if you offer absolutely nothing going forward.

In short: yes to all three of these proposals.

I'm less impressed with Coach's proposal to snag Kane. I think if we couldn't handle Seguin's off ice partying, there is no way this organization would put up with Kane's dressing room antics.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
On the Trade Board now:

To Bruins:

LW Evander Kane (25% Retained)
3.94 Million Cap Hit this year and Next

To Buffalo:

C Ryan Spooner
RW Jimmy Hayes
3.25 Million Cap Hit this year and Spooner raise next year

I know this board is divided on him with some hating the idea of bringing him in while others still fondly remember the Cooke K.O.

At 3.9 million this year and next with Hayes getting shipped out I think I really consider this. Only adding 690k salary annually and a Lucic-type power forward on Krejci's wing this year and next.

Unless you think you can get a #2 defenseman with Spooner as part of the package.

Remember, he is still ONLY 24!

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Kane - Krejci - Vatrano
Beleskey - Backes - Czarnik
Schaller - Moore - Acciari
Nash

Kane is the NHL's version of that enigmatic, self-absorbed running back you find in the NFL, without the production.

Contrary to some belief, no amount of time spent with Bergeron, Backes, etc. are going to influence him to change his ways. If anything, he'd be a man on an island in that room.

Have you ever (hypothetical question) worked alongside someone who was just a jerk, and the only thing that stopped you from punching them in the face every day was the threat of losing your job.

That's Kane.

And that 4 million are better spent next year on something other than a Spooner or a Kane.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Sabres continue to make phone calls.

They are trying to buy, not sell.
McKenzie said that Buffalo would move Kane in return for the right defenseman. Elliott Friedman mentioned when Buffalo and Vancouver were having talks about Kane, that Tanev was mentioned as a defenseman Buffalo may have been interested in which was something Vancouver wasn't willing to do. I don't think the Bruins are a match if Tanev is the type of defenseman Buffalo is looking for unless the Bruins are listening on offers for Krug or Tim Murray thinks McQuaid, either Miller, or Morrow are #4Ds.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
McKenzie said that Buffalo would move Kane in return for the right defenseman. Elliott Friedman mentioned when Buffalo and Vancouver were having talks about Kane, that Tanev was mentioned as a defenseman Buffalo may have been interested in which was something Vancouver wasn't willing to do. I don't think the Bruins are a match if Tanev is the type of defenseman Buffalo is looking for unless the Bruins are listening on offers for Krug or Tim Murray thinks McQuaid, either Miller, or Morrow are #4Ds.

I wonder what it would take to get Tanev out of Vancouver. They are pretty desperate for scoring.

Would something built along the lines of Spooner + McQuaid/Kevan + mid-range prospect or pick be of interest to them.

Vancouver are hard to judge because Benning is liable to trade anything for whatever.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Trading IBS for hemorrhoid.

Great.

Wave Hayes.
Trade Spooner for mid pick.

Leave Kane curbside on trash day.

I still think we can package Spooner for a D; just think he's still going to have value around the league -- young, speedy, skilled, and 49pts last season. He may flourish in a more open/offensive system. Reilly Smith did quite well last year in Florida.

Of course we'd have to add, but I don't want to move him for just a pic; I hope Sweeney pushes for more value -- if not in a package for a D, then another speedy/skilled/young underachieving winger who might evolve here.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Well just adding one player to this team is not going to help very much. Are we really a lot better with Chara?? To be honest I don't know if we get a defenseman or a forward or both would help. I believe the Bruins need to play a more physical game and wear down the opposition. Is it wise to trade for a well known player? How many times have we traded for a well known player and we get excited for nothing. I guess I am just all negative from what I see. Maybe that certain player(s) is already in the organization. Lets bring up some of the kids,look at what Carlo has done and that is he has impressed.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
IDK I think the kid would be excellent for the duration of his contract. Change of pace and a team that fits his game and he'll do very well this year and next. But don't resign him just enjoy this year and next and let him walk. (Obviously that isn't allowed around here people think we messed up letting Loui walk and getting Backes which was actually playing it perfectly ASSETS ASSETS ASSETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

But like Nathan Horton (seriously lazy player) if you resign him you will regret it. When Horton got resigned he ONLY ever showed any physicality whenever someone cheap shotted him softest guy on the ice otherwise.

Horton came to Boston under contract, and left when his contract ended.

Criticize him all you want, but let's get the facts right please.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Kane is the NHL's version of that enigmatic, self-absorbed running back you find in the NFL, without the production.

Contrary to some belief, no amount of time spent with Bergeron, Backes, etc. are going to influence him to change his ways. If anything, he'd be a man on an island in that room.

Have you ever (hypothetical question) worked alongside someone who was just a jerk, and the only thing that stopped you from punching them in the face every day was the threat of losing your job.

That's Kane.

And that 4 million are better spent next year on something other than a Spooner or a Kane.

I'm always back and forth on him but my bias to see entertaining hockey played by the Bruins with characters and skill on display (and power forwards) tends to fog my objectivity.

I'd also concede that I relish the idea of taking on projects (Kassian, Kane) that could develop into their potential or return to it often and pairing that with removing the dead weight players I am currently watching in the Spoked-B is really appealing.

In the end I like a particular brand of hockey to be played and on display for me to tune in and spend time hoping for entertainment. Right now the value isn't there (I did enjoy the Blues game despite the loss) but if they aren't going to fix that top pairing in year three of us shouting I guess I can always hope they bring in another player who will at least have a possibility of being entertaining.

Marchand
Pastrnak

The rest just help me put my baby to sleep a little quicker.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Lost in all of this is the year three feeling of dread that we are on a collision course once again for 9th in the East. Management isn't committed to a full rebuild or making trades to improve this team to make them a playoff team so the fans watch nine games this month where the Bruins score two or less.

The direction appears to be to continue to let the prospects (all of them) develop in the minors, ice the current 9th-11th in the East lineup and look forward to next year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm always back and forth on him but my bias to see entertaining hockey played by the Bruins with characters and skill on display (and power forwards) tends to fog my objectivity.

I'd also concede that I relish the idea of taking on projects (Kassian, Kane) that could develop into their potential or return to it often and pairing that with removing the dead weight players I am currently watching in the Spoked-B is really appealing.

In the end I like a particular brand of hockey to be played and on display for me to tune in and spend time hoping for entertainment. Right now the value isn't there (I did enjoy the Blues game despite the loss) but if they aren't going to fix that top pairing in year three of us shouting I guess I can always hope they bring in another player who will at least have a possibility of being entertaining.

Marchand
Pastrnak

The rest just help me put my baby to sleep a little quicker.

On ice, I like Kane's game, always have. He'll never be the elite scorer some expected him to be drafted 4th overall, doesn't have the release or the hockey sense.

But I appreciate what he can bring to the table on the ice. Like you said, he'd be more entertaining than some of the current crew no doubt.

But forget Julien for a moment. I can't picture Backes or more importantly Chara, putting up with his crap. If Chara tried to get Seguin to change his ways, who certainly isn't on Kane's level in terms of being a jerk, what chance would he have with Kane. He got some good leaders around him now in Gionta and Gorges to name a couple, doesn't seem to making much difference.

And I'm not naive enough to think all of these guys get along all the time and are the best of friends.

Really like Kane's on-ice game, but I can't get past the off-ice stuff. And the problem being, whatever team acquires him next, if it doesn't work out, your stuck with him until the contract ends, cause he's in last-chanceville right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad