Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
This is a pretty disastrous season for Laf. Statistically, not even seeing much progression. Still time left, but if we don’t see any meaningful progression, this could be one of the worst first overall seasons in recent memory.
Would be lying if I said his season hasn't been a disappointment so far. But if you wanna go just on statistics I would say you don't have to go further than last season. Lafreniere's ES points/ per game is better than Hughes rookie year. Lafreniere has zero pp points since he basically has received zero relevant pp time. If he get's any pp time its usually the last 15 seconds of a pp shift.
And He hasn't been horrible defensively.
Having said all that I was expecting around 35-40 points this season so offensively it has been a disappointment so far.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Gotta keep in mind that moving to another country alone when young and being mostly isolated due to the covid situation in the country isn’t easy for everyone.

Yup. Moving to the US and not able to have his best friend (his sister) with him like she has been his whole life.

Alexis-Lafreniere-and-sister-Lori-Jane-1.jpg

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Uh come on guys it is true that Alexis' best friend is his sister. There's a NY Post story about her somewhere.

Sister used to play goalie for him to shoot at.
His sister drove the 5 hours from her house to Rimouski to watch his games.
When Covid stopped the QMJHL season, Alexis left his billet family to live with his sister.
His sister even got his initials and number tattooed on her.

Reactions: IlikeEich

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Uh come on guys it is true that Alexis' best friend is his sister. There's a NY Post story about her somewhere.

When Covid stopped the QMJHL season, Alexis left his billet family to live with his sister.

Okay? This is a transition literally every pro athlete ever has made.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013

lmfao what do we do with this info?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Watching Lafreniere play I see a big, strong, fast, skilled, and smart player, who is still really young. Likely his best spot would be the AHL, but he’s going to develop into a very good NHL player. I see him as a bit more skilled Kreider.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Who’s on his line? Does he get pp time

He has played with everybody. Really he is the worst player on whatever line he is on. Laf gets next to zero pp time because the first unit playes 80-100 seconds on the pp.

Early in the year laf was on pp1 but almost never touched the puck generally being stationary. When he did touch the puck he never really opened up the ice by skating the puck or shooting. I think i read a stat that said he had 2 pp shots on goal

Im not gonna call him a bust as its far too early. He has scored a few nice goals and made a few good passes but they are far and few.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

His sister getting his initials and number tattooed on her sounds very weird and concerning.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Y’all were mature enough to move away from family and were ready to perform at the highest level of your job at 19? Damn, and here I was with a lot of growing up left to do.

They’re lucky to make millions playing a game we all love, but- pressure, expectations, missing family- those are human things that hit a hockey player as much as anyone else. I have no clue what’s behind his slow start, but acting like it’s crazy for a literal teenager to have trouble adjusting- he’s still a kid in a lot of ways.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Would be lying if I said his season hasn't been a disappointment so far. But if you wanna go just on statistics I would say you don't have to go further than last season. Lafreniere's ES points/ per game is better than Hughes rookie year. Lafreniere has zero pp points since he basically has received zero relevant pp time. If he get's any pp time its usually the last 15 seconds of a pp shift.
And He hasn't been horrible defensively.
Having said all that I was expecting around 35-40 points this season so offensively it has been a disappointment so far.
2019 is arguably one of the worst drafts ever. As for L'afreniere that was to be expected from a Qjmhl player. Nhl hockey isn't figure skating.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ovechkin moved to an entirely new country and culture where he could barely speak English and missed his family terribly, as well.

He adapted fine, put up huge numbers and won the Calder.

That bit about his sister seems really weird.

Anyway, Laf will be fine.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Potentially a top player. But, was ridiculously overrated by the average fan. He wasn't Matthews or Eichel level, and that should have been obvious to anyone objectively watching without a team or nationality bias.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad