Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Potentially a top player. But, was ridiculously overrated by the average fan. He wasn't Matthews or Eichel level, and that should have been obvious to anyone objectively watching without a team or nationality bias.
I watched him in junior, and especially the junior tournament.

I think he performed better than Matthews or Eichel at the same age.

Those performances were why he was so hyped prior to his draft.

Maybe he will just take longer to develop at the professional level? Or maybe he won't develop to that point at all?

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Are we sure Stuetzle still isn't in his class like so many have insisted to me, HF?
Stutzle may end up being the best player from that draft.

I wonder if the draft had have been held after the junior tournament, if Stutzle may have been picked higher?

Because he dominated, even while playing for a poor German team.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
MacKinnon was very good in his rookie season.

I should have clarified. His rookie year was lights out, his sophomore season - not so much, and the vultures started to circle. Some choice HF quotes about MacKinnon circa 2014:

Enigmatic Canadian.

The hype around him was ridiculous. Even some of the media guys thought he would be one of the high end scorers this year.

Nathan MacDaigle.
ssst.gif

he's absolute garbage.

The next Nail Yakupov

etc...etc.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I watched him in junior, and especially the junior tournament.

I think he performed better than Matthews or Eichel at the same age.

Those performances were why he was so hyped prior to his draft.

Maybe he will just take longer to develop at the professional level? Or maybe he won't develop to that point at all?
I don't. Matthews and Eichel both had clear skills that led to easy projections before you get into the fact they played more valuable positions. Eichel was fast with strength on the puck. Matthews was ridiculously strong on the puck and has an elite shot. When you are talking about top kids its a combination of elite production and clear elite skills.

Part of the reason I believed in MacKinnon was his combo of ridiculous speed and strength. He could always create separation, it was about his mind catching up to his playstyle.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Below is a quote on my thoughts on him from August 10th, 2020 (in a Wild board topic on if the lottery Balls happened to fall our way just for reference.)

"When you watch his full games, he also has some warts in terms of decision making and turnovers, he makes a lot of blind passes. His play at the WJC was incredible, but doesn't match up with some of his late in the season CHL play. I think he will be fine physically out of the gate but I think he would struggle at least initially playing an NHL game, or at least the Wild's style of play. Whatever they did to get Fiala up to speed would likely be of huge benefit to Laf if he does end up on this team, but I do think there will be more of a learning curve than the consensus seems to think for this player."

I think his WJC play was an absurd run that drastically inflated his scouting outlook, of course he had the regular season points to back up stat watcher perception, but even in those high point games, some of his weaknesses were apparent. I think he can develop into a very strong player, but I disagreed with the immediate impact hype that so many people had by labeling him a generational wing.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Stutzle hasn't been a world beater either. Gotta have patience with these young kids.

Modern day high draft picks aren't as good in comparison to their peers as they were many years ago. Talent has gone up way too much.
Must be possible to analyze that proposition more systematically. Does anyone know of any such analysis?
BTW where is basic nhl player data that you can download and slice and dice available?

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Ovechkin moved to an entirely new country and culture where he could barely speak English and missed his family terribly, as well.

He adapted fine, put up huge numbers and won the Calder.

That bit about his sister seems really weird.

Anyway, Laf will be fine.
They come from literally different worlds. Alex grew up in the f***ing USSR and Russia.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pretty much. I've seen this thread before, but the topic then was re: Nathan MacKinnon.

He won the Calder... even his Sophomore "slump" season is much better than what Lafreniere is producing.

He's below Jack Hughes right now, but there are many 1OA's who have had poor rookie seasons go on to be elite players but almost every single one of them had a great 2nd year. Next year is a big indicator for Lafreniere.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Lafreniere is lucky Montreal didn't draft him, he would be eaten alive by now.
But the Habs might have sent him down knowing the insane pressure he'd be under.

He may have been more driven and inspired having a better season

Or maybe he'd have a nervous breakdown and quit hockey.

:P

The minute you change the setting you can no longer be sure of the same result, especially the Habs in this instance.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
He won the Calder... even his Sophomore "slump" season is much better than what Lafreniere is producing.

He's below Jack Hughes right now, but there are many 1OA's who have had poor rookie seasons go on to be elite players but almost every single one of them had a great 2nd year. Next year is a big indicator for Lafreniere.
Incredible, given that criteria, how much heat he’s taking off Kakko (who was basically hyped as a 1OA -quality pick).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have been as worried about him as anyone but I'm starting to see more and more flashes of talent. Last night he made multiple good plays. He seems to be gaining confidence. Even though he was considered NHL size he is still a 19 year old rookie. There is 19 year old strength and then there is grown man Weber or Chara strength. They are not the same. Laf will get better as he gets stronger.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Incredible, given that criteria, how much heat he’s taking off Kakko (who was basically hyped as a 1OA -quality pick).

None? Kakko is producing as one of if not the worst #2 overall forward in the last 25 years. Gotta go back to Andrei Zyuzin in 1996 to find someone weaker than Kakko over their first 2 seasons.

2019 is a really weak draft.

Reactions: The don godfather

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad