Player Discussion: Alexander Romanov

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The issue with Pelech is he’s becoming Mr. Glass, which means his actual cost/cap hit is HIS plus his injury replacement at $1-2M to cover him, making him expensive.
Thats why im just loathing the idea of any more injuries. His defensive play has gotten worse also. Its why keeping Romanov is paramount to this team's future, and hoping a guy like George or Odelius can make the jump as well.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Trading Pelech is a mistake. Pelech's health is a concern. But his actual game (even if you falsely think it has diminished, or a product of Trotz) is better positioned, suited and value to be Dobson's partner and number two.

Moreso than Pulock or Hanifin. I don't mind either of these two on the Isles, but Pelech is getting undervalued due to recency bias.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Trading Pelech is a mistake. Pelech's health is a concern. But his actual game (even if you falsely think it has diminished, or a product of Trotz) is better positioned, suited and value to be Dobson's partner and number two.

Moreso than Pulock or Hanifin. I don't mind either of these two on the Isles, but Pelech is getting undervalued due to recency bias.
When he is healthy, Pelech is awesome and helps out a ton on the PK. When he isn't, you see his flaws.

Reactions: MJF

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

When he is healthy, Pelech is awesome and helps out a ton on the PK. When he isn't, you see his flaws.
He's not undervalued, the point is that Hanafin paired with Pulock balances out the offense/defense better. Hanafin is 2 1/2 years younger and you save some cap space for this year and next.

Pelech's issue right now is that the league found a weakness and exploits it. Chip it behind him and jump in quickly since he tries to make a play too often. When you look at film, you can see he turns it over a lot in that scenario. He's not mediocre, but when did you last hear him talked about for a Team Canada slot at the Olympics/World Cups? He was 3 years ago. There's definitely some slippage and he's 29 already, so we've seen his best.

It's not a huge leap, but it is a step up in total approach.

Dobson-Romanov
Hanifin-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pulock also is a much better DEFENDER than an actual offensive defenseman, whereas pelech has been kinda shit for the past two seasons, health and offensive wise.
Also coincides with Barry Trotz’s firing. Scott Mayfield is in the same boat as Pelech.

Agreed. Pelech is the better defender when he’s on his game and his contract is priced right.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Also coincides with Barry Trotz’s firing. Scott Mayfield is in the same boat as Pelech.

Agreed. Pelech is the better defender when he’s on his game and his contract is priced right.
The difference between Pelech and Pulock is pretty small at this point. Not enough difference to debate. Both are solid and chip in offensively. But Hanafin moves the needle offensively in a way neither of them do. Hanafin-Pulock is better for a team that wants to push the pace more.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

Pelech is fine, just gotta consider he’s a cost plus player now due to his injury history.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Hes pretty much a solid defenseman who gets 20-27 points a year. Not bad.
He’s a solid player, just doesn’t have that next level that would cause a major salary escalation. Dobson is going from $4M to $6.5-$8-9M if he keeps where he’s going.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Alexander Romanov 22:41 TOI average in 36 games played. His stats aren't that impressive but it's a lot of playing time, he's 3rd on the team by TOI, almost 2nd. Is he really that good?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Alexander Romanov 22:41 TOI average in 36 games played. His stats aren't that impressive but it's a lot of playing time, he's 3rd on the team by TOI, almost 2nd. Is he really that good?

He has stepped up in light of injuries. Dobson gets all the press, but Romo has become a strong partner for him. He has toned down his big hits, but is playing so much better positionally and playing big minutes. He's a keeper.

Reactions: MarsTBOW

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think there are still questions about his upside. My belief is that if his upside is higher than what he's showing now, he'll reach it. He works really really hard, and everyone knows it. I think he'll see incremental offensive improvements (a result of improved decision making), but nothing huge. He will probably be what he is - a good complement to a partner who can drive play more than he does, and an intimidating presence (in a clean way) in the defensive zone. Nothing wrong with that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think there are still questions about his upside. My belief is that if his upside is higher than what he's showing now, he'll reach it. He works really really hard, and everyone knows it. I think he'll see incremental offensive improvements (a result of improved decision making), but nothing huge. He will probably be what he is - a good complement to a partner who can drive play more than he does, and an intimidating presence (in a clean way) in the defensive zone. Nothing wrong with that.

Is he good defensively?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

He reminds me a bit of a better skating Hamonic. Maybe he puts up a little better offensive numbers down the road, hard to tell. I will say he is much better this season than last season.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Would have liked to see Romanov and/or Mayfield crush Nischkushin at the end of the third and not allow him to squeeze through for shot on goal and penalty. Bottom line, super Happy with Romanov as he is just hitting his stride and he can progress with Dobson. He is thrusted into a more trusted role with all the injuries. As others have mentioned, more reserved and positionally sound and not looking for the big hits.

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
Would have liked to see Romanov and/or Mayfield crush Nischkushin at the end of the third and not allow him to squeeze through for shot on goal and penalty. Bottom line, super Happy with Romanov as he is just hitting his stride and he can progress with Dobson. He is thrusted into a more trusted role with all the injuries. As others have mentioned, more reserved and positionally sound and not looking for the big hits.
It looked to me like they both did, and that was the problem. He got sandwiched and that allowed him to just remain upright and keep going towards the goal. Had it been only one of them I think he gets taken out of the play.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It looked to me like they both did, and that was the problem. He got sandwiched and that allowed him to just remain upright and keep going towards the goal. Had it been only one of them I think he gets taken out of the play.
Yes, that's correct. Kinda like one of these:

1704314989349.png

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Romy reminds me of a Romy of yesteryear a bit, Roman Hamrlik.

I can't help thinking of Kasparaitis when watching Romanov play. Romo is relatively undersized at 6'1, but is built solidly like Kaspar was. Both Russian and known for throwing huge hits, wasn't afraid to go up against the other team's guns. He has benefitted from "calming" his game down, he can still crush you if you're stupid and have your head down.

I also think that Romo is a great fit with Dobson for the long term. They both turn 24 this week (1 day apart) and their games are blossoming into their respective upsides and ceilings. Their skillsets are so complementary and they both understand and accept their roles. It's nice to see Romo being a little more offensively involved too, he keeps it simple. On his own, I think Romo is a #2D/#3D at his peak paired with Dobber. I think the 1st rounder to acquire him was well worth it. I do think that if Mintykov or Korchinski were available, Lou may have not traded for Romo.

At least that's what my theory is.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I can't help thinking of Kasparaitis when watching Romanov play. Romo is relatively undersized at 6'1, but is built solidly like Kaspar was. Both Russian and known for throwing huge hits, wasn't afraid to go up against the other team's guns. He has benefitted from "calming" his game down, he can still crush you if you're stupid and have your head down.

I also think that Romo is a great fit with Dobson for the long term. They both turn 24 this week (1 day apart) and their games are blossoming into their respective upsides and ceilings. Their skillsets are so complementary and they both understand and accept their roles. It's nice to see Romo being a little more offensively involved too, he keeps it simple. On his own, I think Romo is a #2D/#3D at his peak paired with Dobber. I think the 1st rounder to acquire him was well worth it. I do think that if Mintykov or Korchinski were available, Lou may have not traded for Romo.

It is almost like trading a 13th overall pick for this guy was worth it.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013

I wouldn’t call Darius Russian to his face, he might no like that. He’s Lithuanian.

Reactions: doublechili

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3