Player Discussion: Alexander Romanov

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Looks like a #4 right now, with #3 upside moving forward.

Ask Canucks fans. The whole Miller and Horvat discussion was one of many, many waves over there.

This said, Miller is a generator of offense. In light of their weapons and build, that team prolly needed to move Miller last year and use that money to keep Horvat now.

But absolutely NO DOUBT in my mind that Miller - who BTW has been killing it for like 3 weeks now (granted, with the POs out of the picture) - is the better pure generator and creator of offense. He's pretty much one of the top 10 producing forwards in the league.

Never seemed like a Lamoriello player to me though.
Completely agree on that last point; Miller had that reputation of being a little hard to get along with too.

When I look at Horvat, I see two possibilities, with one of them being Pageau or Nelson being a major chip this summer to improve the wing play. Obviously, Nelson is the bigger chip and would return the better winger.

But if this was all about keeping Barzal on the wing permanently, then we certainly need one more goal scorer to take the next step, but who's available?

If either Dufour or Maggio pan out as a Top 6, that would really help since Wally and Holmstrom become high-end 3rd liners, and that was the big question mark to me last summer; how to get more 3rd line offense.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Romanov has definitely improved and been quite a solid player the past 4-6 weeks. Enough so that Canadiens fans are already telling me how worried they are that they're going to rue that trade, no matter what Dach becomes for them.

Keep hearing "This is sooo gonna be Sergachev part two".
I don't think that, lol. But one thing I like about Romanov is that he seems to have leadership potential. Unlike some 23 year olds, he doesn't seem like a particularly mature 23 year old. And I don't mean that in a disparaging way or a criticism, but that I think he's going to improve even more when his confidence & approach naturally become more consistent.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don't think Romanov is near the "Sergachev 2.0" like the habs make it out to be, but its benefitted both parties in a good way. The only loser to me is Chicago, and thats because Nazar hasn't done much and he's a prospect.

Reactions: CaptDenisPotvin

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
If the Isles didn't get Romanov last summer and rolled with Aho, Salo, etc., or signed some depth vet LHD for the 3rd pair instead, safe to say we would not be looking at the playoffs right now? Also possibly would not have dealt for Horvat.

Reactions: Throttle and Seph

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Islanders players are the slowest healers in the history of humanity.

On the bright side, I believe Parise played all 164 games that he's been here. Not bad for an "old man"

Have you met the NY Mets?

That said, I think the Isles tend to "undersell" injuries, at least with the little information provided or that leaks out, which causes some frustration among fans.

They also have players like Martin, who it was reported never healed properly from his offseason ankle surgery, and it seems like that was an issue all of last year. Martin looked downright terrible yet still played in 71 games, including some when the season was clearly over.

It made zero sense to put unnecessary mileage on his body and delay any surgery cleanup or rest, during that final stretch. Especially when you have Ross on the roster in a down year. I questioned several times why they didn't just play Ross and let Martin recover.

Gutting it out in a competitive year? Sure. In a lost season? Not necessarily a smart move and maybe one where someone from the front office, coaching and/or training staff should have stepped in and protected Martin from himself.

If the Isles didn't get Romanov last summer and rolled with Aho, Salo, etc., or signed some depth vet LHD for the 3rd pair instead, safe to say we would not be looking at the playoffs right now? Also possibly would not have dealt for Horvat.

If the Isles didn't trade for Romanov, we might have seen the ghost of Big Z or Greene take the ice again. Seidenberg and Martinek are also still floating around too, right?

Reactions: MJF

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
It would be totally cool because we’d have some shiny middling draft pick playing in the OHL right now that we could salivate over and who could help the Isles in 25-26…

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Some would prefer having those two picks, no doubt.

Reactions: doublechili

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Some would prefer having those two picks, no doubt.
Over the last 4 weeks Romanov became a solid defender. Whoda thunk it?

Now as I read the playoff thread he became a key to us winning a series. I guess he got better during the season.

Be patient with 22 year old defensemen. Especially those coming from a flawed defense like the Canadiens. The 1st we traded to Montreal never would have yielded the NHL ready defenseman that we desperately needed this year.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
It would be totally cool because we’d have some shiny middling draft pick playing in the OHL right now that we could salivate over and who could help the Isles in 25-26…
The guy Chicago picked with our choice missed most of the season with hip surgery, is by his own admission not 100 percent yet, and is returning to college next year. Meanwhile, if we'd used the pick ourselves for a d man, our most pressing system need, we'd be lucky if he were where Romanov is now in 3 seasons.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Over the last 4 weeks Romanov became a solid defender. Whoda thunk it?

Now as I read the playoff thread he became a key to us winning a series. I guess he got better during the season.

Be patient with 22 year old defensemen. Especially those coming from a flawed defense like the Canadiens. The 1st we traded to Montreal never would have yielded the NHL ready defenseman that we desperately needed this year.
Romanov would have advanced a bit earlier under Trotz, whereas he came onto the Isles ‘unshackled’ version of Trotz system.

Agree, he’s gonna be a real solid Top4 and all Lou did was advance (and guarantee) a NHL player with the Isles draft pick and, of course, fill a hole.

I read somewhere that Montreal approached the Isles about their pick - mainly to continue to make a splash for the hometown draft party.

The guy Chicago picked with our choice missed most of the season with hip surgery, is by his own admission not 100 percent yet, and is returning to college next year. Meanwhile, if we'd used the pick ourselves for a d man, our most pressing system need, we'd be lucky if he were where Romanov is now in 3 seasons.
But you can’t project susperstardom and what could have beens for 3years when you trade the pick. Less fun.

Reactions: JKP

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I didn't see the game where Romanov was injured and all I'm seeing is "undisclosed". Do we know if it's a LBI or UBI? Are we 100% certain it was his body that was injured?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I didn't see the game where Romanov was injured and all I'm seeing is "undisclosed". Do we know if it's a LBI or UBI? Are we 100% certain it was his body that was injured?
Corey Perry "drove" Romanov's head into the ice.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Corey Perry "drove" Romanov's head into the ice.
Thanks. And wow, that's really out of character for Perry - color me shocked. :rolleyes:

So are we thinking concussion? If so, if he's skating that's a good sign.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Thanks. And wow, that's really out of character for Perry - color me shocked. :rolleyes:

So are we thinking concussion? If so, if he's skating that's a good sign.
Concussion is my guess, and from what I’ve pieced together from outside the Cone of Silence, Romanov hasn’t skated yet.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Concussion is my guess, and from what I’ve pieced together from outside the Cone of Silence, Romanov hasn’t skated yet.
Oh, I thought I saw that he was skating, but I may have just misread something where they were talking about Barzal too.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I agree. I think the Romanov trade was good value. You have a kid who is only 23, really young for a D man, with two years experience already under his belt and who has proven he can play in the bigs. To me, it was like drafting someone fresh, but without having to wait for the development years in the KHL. He will get better and better and has already shown growth.

Reactions: MarsTBOW and JKP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad