Player Discussion: Alexander Romanov

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Concussion is my guess, and from what I’ve pieced together from outside the Cone of Silence, Romanov hasn’t skated yet.

He was playing video games with Sorokin the other day according to his wife’s instagram. Not sure if he’s be playing video games with a concussion.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Funny how he was such a problem early on.

I don't understand people that pine for draft picks and new prospects, but then don't have any patience for younger players to develop.

Just because a young player, like Romanov, might struggle at the start and require a little time to acclimate to a new system, learn new teammates tendencies, have their entire life uprooted, etc.

Very strange.

BarzyWally33

Nov 28, 2022
Basically, aside from pelech, our most important d-man. Hope it doesnt come at the cost of losing mayfield this off season.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I don't understand people that pine for draft picks and new prospects, but then don't have any patience for younger players to develop.

Just because a young player, like Romanov, might struggle at the start and require a little time to acclimate to a new system, learn new teammates tendencies, have their entire life uprooted, etc.

Very strange.
I’ll take the middle ground here.

I loved the trade for Romo in large part because there was a gaping hole for a LHDman on the squad. Being NHL ready with an Isles type defensive minded game at a reasonable cost controlled salary were all bonuses on top of the organizational need.

Trading for Palmieri and Horvat is a different discussion better left for another day.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I’ll take the middle ground here.

I loved the trade for Romo in large part because there was a gaping hole for a LHDman on the squad. Being NHL ready with an Isles type defensive minded game at a reasonable cost controlled salary were all bonuses on top of the organizational need.

Trading for Palmieri and Horvat is a different discussion better left for another day.

I agree and Palms and Horvat were very different trades.

I just don't understand people that want to rebuild, acquire draft picks and prospects BUT then don't have any patience for development and the time and work it takes. They strike me as Mad Mike Milbury-types, who quickly tire of the work, and then will presumably look to pivot for quick fixes.

I like draft picks and prospects, but if I can get a young player (say between 20-22), who has already matured physically AND just needs the reps and experience, even better.

Throw in a pick that becomes Isaiah George as a bonus? Well, that is a tremendous return.

Reactions: doublechili

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The Romanov trade is probably Lou's best trade they picked up a defenseman that you already knew could play at this level in a draft year that really did not have any standouts that would even be available at the 13th pick.

Reactions: MYIslanders

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Kind of surprised this hasn't been bumped up

Lost in all the Dobson attention and Holmstrom's progress has been how far Romanov has come along this season

His play is far better and the mistakes are getting cut down.

His skating is top notch, break out passes are good and he gets pucks to the net, all while playing a ton of minutes in Pelech's place.

He and Dobson are great core pieces for years to come. That graphic from a few days ago about their pairing is not solely because of Dobson's play.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He steps up every time Pelech is out
He's still inconsistent. He went from blundering around chasing players behind the net or on the wing when it was his assignment to guard the low slot. Last few games, he's been a *lot* better. Like night and day.

Why? Just the inertia of the whole team's poor defensive team wearing off?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He's still inconsistent. He went from blundering around chasing players behind the net or on the wing when it was his assignment to guard the low slot. Last few games, he's been a *lot* better. Like night and day.

Why? Just the inertia of the whole team's poor defensive team wearing off?

Romanov has really impressed me lately, mostly because he has really simplified his game and has concentrated on his positioning and stopped looking to just light someone up. He is carrying the LD and playing the hardest minutes, but Reilly's addition has helped a lot. Dobson gets all the press, but Romanov has made big strides in his game as well.

I also like the chemistry between Romanov and Dobson, I think they could be a long term pairing as they complement each other very well. It's actually a bit reminiscent of the Kasparaitis and Malakhov pairing in styles and roles. Romo has no delusions of being an OFD so he defers to Dobber to handle the offensive stuff, he just handles his defensive assignments. I will say his "I've done this before" goal celebration is awesome.

I think Romo is a definite keeper and the yin to Dobson's yang.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Romanov has really impressed me lately, mostly because he has really simplified his game and has concentrated on his positioning and stopped looking to just light someone up. He is carrying the LD and playing the hardest minutes, but Reilly's addition has helped a lot. Dobson gets all the press, but Romanov has made big strides in his game as well.

I also like the chemistry between Romanov and Dobson, I think they could be a long term pairing as they complement each other very well. It's actually a bit reminiscent of the Kasparaitis and Malakhov pairing in styles and roles. Romo has no delusions of being an OFD so he defers to Dobber to handle the offensive stuff, he just handles his defensive assignments. I will say his "I've done this before" goal celebration is awesome.

I think Romo is a definite keeper and the yin to Dobson's yang.
They were born a day apart too, which is kinda cool.

Reactions: PWJunior

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
1702867674582.jpeg

Really wish we didn't have to thrust him up this early, but he's been solid with Dobson. Need to really get our defense back on track, especially when you consider how many shots we give up.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
View attachment 785515
Really wish we didn't have to thrust him up this early, but he's been solid with Dobson. Need to really get our defense back on track, especially when you consider how many shots we give up.

What does Dobson's card look like?

I've noticed that Dobson always acknowledges Romanov with a head tap during goal celebrations, their chemistry is also developing nicely. I was a bit down on Romanov to start the season and the Romo-Dobber pairing didn't look great last year, but they look really good together now. Romanov's game has matured quite a bit and that's why his pairing with Dobson (who has also improved to Norris level) looks so good now. When fully healthy, I think you keep them together as the top pairing and reunite Pelech and Pulock.

Romanov-Dobson
Pelech-Pulock
Reilly-Mayfield

Bolduc, Bortuzzo
Aho launched into space, traded, waived, I don't care.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The other side of this is that Pulock is replaceable.
Doubtful with Lou as he values guys like Pulock (most GMs do). Pulock is just a guy that was expected to be an offensive d-man, but has rounded his game into an overall top 4 guy.

The one thing here is the Isles know what they are getting from Pulock. I’m not a fan of his price tag, but I’d rather keep him vs shipping him out w/o an adequate replacement.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Doubtful with Lou as he values guys like Pulock (most GMs do). Pulock is just a guy that was expected to be an offensive d-man, but has rounded his game into an overall top 4 guy.

The one thing here is the Isles know what they are getting from Pulock. I’m not a fan of his price tag, but I’d rather keep him vs shipping him out w/o an adequate replacement.
The only problem with Pulock is that he's not paired with a higher-end offensive, puck-moving LHD. Trade him to VC and pair him with Hughes and it would be Toews part 2 around here and on the main board (Isles gave up a stud!!!).

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

Pulock also is a much better DEFENDER than an actual offensive defenseman, whereas pelech has been kinda shit for the past two seasons, health and offensive wise.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Pulock also is a much better DEFENDER than an actual offensive defenseman, whereas pelech has been kinda shit for the past two seasons, health and offensive wise.
The issue with Pelech is he’s becoming Mr. Glass, which means his actual cost/cap hit is HIS plus his injury replacement at $1-2M to cover him, making him expensive.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad