Player Discussion: Alexander Romanov

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am confused to see so many posters down on Romanov with only 185 games played in the NHL. We have seen plenty of times here on the island defenseman come through and struggle until around that 300 game mark. Dobson still is 92 games away from 300.

Romanov may not currently be a middle pairing defenseman night in and night out but he will be. His game becomes even more important in playoff type games. This is why in my opinion earlier on in the season it felt like he was making more of an impact.

So what's the viewpoints of you all? Why or why not is Romanov going to be a middle pairing defenseman? And for those of you who think the 13th pick should have gotten a current middle pairing guy, who should that have been?

Reactions: xECK29x

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I think romo has been slightly disappointing, but he’s got more time in my book before I write him off.

Reactions: Mike C

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I am confused to see so many posters down on Romanov with only 185 games played in the NHL. We have seen plenty of times here on the island defenseman come through and struggle until around that 300 game mark. Dobson still is 92 games away from 300.

Romanov may not currently be a middle pairing defenseman night in and night out but he will be. His game becomes even more important in playoff type games. This is why in my opinion earlier on in the season it felt like he was making more of an impact.

So what's the viewpoints of you all? Why or why not is Romanov going to be a middle pairing defenseman? And for those of you who think the 13th pick should have gotten a current middle pairing guy, who should that have been?
Our 2023 version of Darius Kasparaitis is doing fine . If anyone expected much more he will be a disappointment. For me he is about as expected and will improve .He is a roll player who will shine more when / if the team is doing better. I would do the trade again … LGI

Reactions: Big L

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I think he still has offensive upside, he is still really young as D tend to really roung into their game around 25-26. First year on a new team with a 1st year coach. I like what he has brought more than most. Yea he has been on the ice for a lot of goals against and he still puts himself out of position on hits.

Reactions: Big L and Tahoeblue

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

We've already decided that Romanov isn't worth the bother after 52 games? That sounds about right.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think he has been fine for his age, experience and not reaching the 300 game Potvin rule. But I'm also a little old school, in that I don't really care if my defensive defensemen score points. Just clear the net and break up the cycle down low and make the puck move out of the defensive zone. He's got a pretty solid outlet pass too.

Reactions: Big L

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They traded a first round pick for him and he isn't a generational talent like the one the team definitely would've drafted so of course he stinks.

He's been fine. Physical, mobile, blocks shots, he just needs to work on his breakouts (no more off the glass and out, like Pelech used to do) and if he provides a little more offense it'll be great. Still like the deal for the Islanders.

Reactions: Seph, Big L and Lek

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Romanov = Zadorov 2.0

Love the style of these types of defenders but he'll have to improve a lot for it to be a good deal for us.
Funny you say that since Zadorov was the #16 pick in the 2013 draft, which was a pretty good draft. And Romanov was traded for the #13 pick in a draft where the quality is TBD. So it's actually kind of proving the point that a pick in the teens might net you a middle pairing defenseman, or lower.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
There's no question that part of fans' perspective on Romanov is the price Lou paid to get him.

If he was the Isles 2nd round pick in 2018 and he was at the same development point he is now the heat on him would be much less.

The reality is that Romanov has been average at best this season, and at some points pretty darn bad. Doesn't mean he cannot improve and get better, but he maxes out as a 2nd line defenseman...And it is my opinion that Lambert is hurting rather than helping (the entire team as well).

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
They traded a first round pick for him and he isn't a generational talent like the one the team definitely would've drafted so of course he stinks.

He's been fine. Physical, mobile, blocks shots, he just needs to work on his breakouts (no more off the glass and out, like Pelech used to do) and if he provides a little more offense it'll be great. Still like the deal for the Islanders.
Yeah, a lot of this fans projecting what they believe a pick will net, never seeing the downside risk (oh, they’ll just complain about that later).

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There's no question that part of fans' perspective on Romanov is the price Lou paid to get him.

If he was the Isles 2nd round pick in 2018 and he was at the same development point he is now the heat on him would be much less.

The reality is that Romanov has been average at best this season, and at some points pretty darn bad. Doesn't mean he cannot improve and get better, but he maxes out as a 2nd line defenseman...And it is my opinion that Lambert is hurting rather than helping (the entire team as well).

Since when do we expect more than a middle pairing defenseman out of a mid round first round pick?

Reactions: Seph

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Meh, he’s alright but if I’m a win now team and I’m trading a top 12 pick I’d like the guy I’m acquiring to be somewhat polished and not need much more seasoning.

Reactions: periferal

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Since when do we expect more than a middle pairing defenseman out of a mid round first round pick?

Because usually if you trade a 1st you get a bonafide one...Not one that literally could be bottom pairing or worse.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Because usually if you trade a 1st you get a bonafide one...Not one that literally could be bottom pairing or worse.

Really? Do you have examples of mid first round picks being traded for middle pairing defensemen in their early twenties? Honestly think you are valuing these picks way too much.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Well, people are shitting on AHO and he just hit 100 games played. Horvat took ages...sedin twins took a full generation to become good...like more than 40-50 point players.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I mean he may work out but he has been a major liability thus far and not close to being worth what we gave up for him. I do think we'll appreciate his game more as he matures. So far though his game has been pretty sub-par.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Romanov has been OK AND he has been pressed into far bigger minutes than expected, due to the Pelech injury.

If not for Romanov, imagine a version of Chara/Greene or a $4 million AAV Gundbranson in the same position? That would be a damn nightmare.

The Isles also received the draft pick that was used for Isaiah George. George has looked very good in juniors and is out producing his draft spot.

Reactions: Seph

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I don't think Romanov is as bad as people think he is. He's playing a ton of minutes and kind of reminds me of a young Mayfield. Remember when Mayfield couldn't handle more than 16 min a game? If he played more, he'd be making mistakes all the time. I bet that if Lambert reduced his minutes, he'd be a better player for us. Then, after a while, he'd get more, but right now, he's getting over 20 min per game when he's not ready for it. Do not tell me you don't remember Mayfield being the whipping boy and how we all wanted him off the team.

Reactions: danteipp

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
He has been ok but It's that First Outlet pass that he often turns over. The turnovers kill his game. Let's see where he winds up at the magic 300 game mark. His game kinda reminds me of Rich Pilon (as someone mentioned here before) but he will have more offense I would imagine, because Rich was legally Blind in one eye limiting his Offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad