Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Well, you know, maybe you are right, but the thing is, if you enter Markov into the comparable it would be nice to remember how Markov was after 5-6 NHL games...
To be honest I was to young but this things are thing that you have are you don’t. I don’t think you can develop it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They should look at how Romanov changes the angle to get by the first wave of shot blockers with his point shots.

Always frustrated me watching Habs Dmen consistently get their point shots blocked.

You touched a nerve with me! 1000% agree. Romanov's lateral movement helps him get the puck through and others have their shots blocked a lot!

Reactions: cphabs and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be honest I was to young but this things are thing that you have are you don’t. I don’t think you can develop it.

The point is we don't know if he has it cause he might be coached to play a certain way. He's not some 60 pts D man yes. But he certainly can be a 40+ guy who can also shut you down

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The point is we don't know if he has it cause he might be coached to play a certain way. He's not some 60 pts D man yes. But he certainly can be a 40+ guy who can also shut you down

Ooooh he will be really good. I'm taking a guy like him before a guy that is only good offensively. I think he will be sort of Charlie McAvoy who I take in my team at any price anytime but they won't be your PPQB and it's ok.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
They should look at how Romanov changes the angle to get by the first wave of shot blockers with his point shots.

Always frustrated me watching Habs Dmen consistently get their point shots blocked.
I think we could be more dangerous if we used 3 men high in the ozone more. We're deadly on the counter, but once established in the offensive zone, it's the same old volume shooting.

There was a sequence in Edmonton when Tatar came up high and we just shredded them as the passing lanes opened. We don't do this often enough.

Reactions: Toene and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think we could be more dangerous if we used 3 men high in the ozone more. We're deadly on the counter, but once established in the offensive zone, it's the same old volume shooting.

There was a sequence in Edmonton when Tatar came up high and we just shredded them as the passing lanes opened. We don't do this often enough.
Lightning are big on this.. they do it all the time

Last edited:

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
It's been a while since the team had a rookie defenseman that fits in so smoothly in the top four. He's going to be a real workhorse. Hopefully he has a better agent than Mete.

Reactions: 26Mats

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Already a stud top 4 dman with top pairing potential. Going to be a workhorse for a long time for us.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Petry can do it to a certain extent, and kulak has the tools to do it, but Romanov walks the line better than any other dman on the team. I think the way he wrists his shots on met reminds me alot of Duncan Keith.

Guys like Weber, chiarot and edmundson are not made for that.

Reactions: canucklover123

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Another erratic game from Romanov.
He's had a rough 4-5 game stretch. Being paired with the headless chicken tonight doesn't help things much either.

He'll have ups and downs all season, just needs to work through it and gain experience along the way. He's a beauty

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don't mind if they sit Romanov a game or 2. He's playing well for a rookie but he is still a rookie and it's a condensed schedule I'm sure he'll play again by Saturday.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
When Romanov plays he is getting the minutes. No problem for me if he platoons with a couple of guys and keeps fresh over the year. Remember KK had a solid 1st year but he faded as he wasn't used to an NHL grind and schedule.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
When Romanov plays he is getting the minutes. No problem for me if he platoons with a couple of guys and keeps fresh over the year. Remember KK had a solid 1st year but he faded as he wasn't used to an NHL grind and schedule.

agreed... in a regular season, a sit down this early in the season would be questionable given how well he's adjusted overall to the NHL game...

but in a condensed year like this, with no real pre-season and much less time for practice? having him sit occasionally to watch and learn & get some space from the game-to-game grind is probably a good thing for a rookie.

Reactions: yianik

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not a fan of the fact they plan on rotating him with Kulak and Mete from here on out while they’re healthy.

He’s better than both already IMO.
I like the idea. Will keep him fresh for the playoffs and he'll get plenty of games in.

Reactions: Oryxo

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I suspect they will play Mete and Kulak tomorrow. Part of it is keeping players fresh, part of it will be giving a break to Romanov. He is doing well, but sitting and watching will help him.

Good Call. Nothing wrong with a rookie sitting and having to watch his teammates play well or make mistakes. The kid appears to eat sleep and breathe hockey, so I doubt hes on his phone during the game not paying attention.

Reactions: Oryxo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad