Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
That might be setting expectation a bit high... more offense / less dirty kaparaitis or better skating Emelin probably a better comparable
I might be one of the few, but I very much appreciated what Emelin brought to the team and hearing Romanov described in that way is wonderful. If Romanov can have more offence to his game than Emelin then that'd put him squarely at 2nd-3rd Dman, which is exactly what I hope for from Romanov.

Reactions: Habs4Life

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I might be one of the few, but I very much appreciated what Emelin brought to the team and hearing Romanov described in that way is wonderful. If Romanov can have more offence to his game than Emelin then that'd put him squarely at 2nd-3rd Dman, which is exactly what I hope for from Romanov.
I think that's a good comparison. He seems like a better version of Emelin with better mobility, better puck handling and maybe more offensive potential. If he pans out that way it will be great.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Only played like 2 minutes in today's game after 12 minutes in the previous one-- anyone care to guess why? They were on the road so maybe a matchup thing?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Only played like 2 minutes in today's game after 12 minutes in the previous one-- anyone care to guess why? They were on the road so maybe a matchup thing?

they are on the road but it was likely due to the game being tied till later in the 3rd. When he played a lot in game 2, it was a 6-2 blowout. In game one I don't know if it was the penalty he took in the 1st when it was 0-0 but he only played one shift in the 2nd when his team finally opened the scoring and then made it 2-0. They ran away with it in the 3rd and then he played several shifts.

Reactions: Habs76

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
they are on the road but it was likely due to the game being tied till later in the 3rd. When he played a lot in game 2, it was a 6-2 blowout. In game one I don't know if it was the penalty he took in the 1st when it was 0-0 but he only played one shift in the 2nd when his team finally opened the scoring and then made it 2-0. They ran away with it in the 3rd and then he played several shifts.

o7 thank you for your service you're literally the best poster in this board.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly, They need to send Romanov, Ikonen, Ylonen, Brook, Suzuki, Poehling, ( and this year, Seider ) to Laval next year. This way they will develop chemistry and follow a similar development curve.

I know Romanov contract is a little bit trickier though.

All the Habs need to do is pay the KHL team money to get Romanov out of it. It's not like Molson is not saving a ton of money with our cap space.

The other issue here is how many rookies do you want to insert into the AHL in one season? Poehling, Brook, Suzuki, Teasdale. Evans and Fleury will be in year 2. Then if Romanov, Ikonen, Ylonen are added to this, I'm not sure how this works in terms of team depth and how this helps/hurts their development.

Might be best to have waives in insertion of prospects turning pro and playing AHL.

18/19: Evans and Fleury
19/20: Poehling, Brook, Suzuki, Walford
20/21: Romanov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Olofsson, McShane, Fonstad
21/22: Primeau and some of our 2019 picks.

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
All the Habs need to do is pay the KHL team money to get Romanov out of it. It's not like Molson is not saving a ton of money with our cap space.

The other issue here is how many rookies do you want to insert into the AHL in one season? Poehling, Brook, Suzuki, Teasdale. Evans and Fleury will be in year 2. Then if Romanov, Ikonen, Ylonen are added to this, I'm not sure how this works in terms of team depth and how this helps/hurts their development.

Might be best to have waives in insertion of prospects turning pro and playing AHL.

18/19: Evans and Fleury
19/20: Poehling, Brook, Suzuki, Walford
20/21: Romanov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Olofsson, McShane
21/22: Primeau and some of our 2019 picks.
ya either way it is exciting as hell!

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is just a personal hunch but I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the NHL out of Camp.

Depends on our ability to add a impact LD defenseman this summer through our cap space or a trade. If the roster stays put as is, then I would put pressure for Romanov to make the trip over seas. Deal I would have is he makes the NHL or goes back to the KHL. If he makes the NHL, he starts burning his ELC (attractive for Romanov) and we give transfer payments to the KHL team for the one year remaining in term. If he don't make the NHL, he goes back to the KHL for one more year. I don't believe Romanov is interested in AHL money where he is likely getting paid the same or more in the KHL which is a better league for him.

Romanov in the AHL next year is not something he would like. So you would have to work around that IMO. The other factor is put yourself in the shoes of the KHL team. They are likely to want to extend Romanov and protect their asset. They know that they have money coming to them from the Habs and they will do their best to ensure the Habs pay for Romanov vs losing him for nothing after next season.

Reactions: Be a Hab

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Romanov would want NHL or KHL. I doubt that he'd go through AHL

Exactly what I was thinking. AHL is not an option for Romanov. Bergevin needs to negotiate a NHL tryout or back to KHL type deal. Same as Lehkonen a few years back.

What does Romanov want?

1) He wants to start burning his ELC as soon as possible
2) If he is not NHL ready, he prefers KHL for two reasons...better for his development and he likely makes the same or more money vs the AHL

Reactions: Be a Hab

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Romanov would want NHL or KHL. I doubt that he'd go through AHL

I'm not entirely sure of that... it very well could be though. Not all players want the same thing; yes he's playing in the KHL in one if not the best team of the league... but does he enjoy playing 10 min/game?

The guy might just want to play. AHL means lower salary but 25 min/game, top PP & a chance of being recalled by Habs & start his NHL career sooner than later.

Reactions: Yoor

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don’t think so because he would probably be the 1st recall and would probably finish the year in the NHL

Possible but something tells me Romanov wants to play NHL or KHL. We just don't know how he would feel about playing AHL. Lehkonen for example had a NHL or SHL deal a few seasons back.

Also, I don't know Romanov's KHL contract (with his 1 year left) and how this would compare to a 70k salary in the AHL. Anybody know how much Romanov is making in his current contract?

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I'm glad to hear you can buy a KHL contract. Considering Bergevin's habbit of rushing players out of despair of making the playoffs, I bet the Tzar makes the 2019-2020 team.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Possible but something tells me Romanov wants to play NHL or KHL. We just don't know how he would feel about playing AHL. Lehkonen for example had a NHL or SHL deal a few seasons back.

Also, I don't know Romanov's KHL contract (with his 1 year left) and how this would compare to a 70k salary in the AHL. Anybody know how much Romanov is making in his current contract?

I’m talking in 2 years me not next year

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I'm not entirely sure of that... it very well could be though. Not all players want the same thing; yes he's playing in the KHL in one if not the best team of the league... but does he enjoy playing 10 min/game?

The guy might just want to play. AHL means lower salary but 25 min/game, top PP & a chance of being recalled by Habs & start his NHL career sooner than later.
good point. at 10 min per game, he might want to come to NA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad