Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Concerned about Juulsen as it affects our depth....but as the years progressed, never thought of him as a top 4 D. Surely a very good No5/No6 though. Romanov, if he continues, as all the making of a top 4.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
We're going to lose a good player in the expansion draft. Many good forwards will hve to be left unprotected.

But I think Petry will be a ufa, so he doesn't need to be protected. So as of now, we can protect Weber, Mete, Juulsen.
That's assuming we don't bring in any help on D until then though. I very much doubt that. I thought Petry had one more year on his contract. Good news then.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That's assuming we don't bring in any help on D until then though. I very much doubt that. I thought Petry had one more year on his contract. Good news then.

With whoever is brought in, the expansion draft will have to be considered.

Perhaps we should target a LD that is also a UFA in 2021?

As of now, imo, we have a better d corps than forward corps (3rd best goals against in the NHL since Jan. 1) and an abundance of good d prospects not even with the team (Juulsen, Romanov, Brook, Fleury, Harris plus Tyszka, Walford, etc...)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Concerned about Juulsen as it affects our depth....but as the years progressed, never thought of him as a top 4 D. Surely a very good No5/No6 though. Romanov, if he continues, as all the making of a top 4.

Actually, if you remove Weber (retirement) and Petry (might not re-sign), how does it look in a few years from now?

Romanov / Brook
Mete / Juulsen
Reilly or Kulak / Fleury

I think Juulsen and Romanov are top 4D potential but provide different things. Romanov seems to have a higher ceiling though.

Reactions: dralaf

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Actually, if you remove Weber (retirement) and Petry (might not re-sign), how does it look in a few years from now?

Romanov / Brook
Mete / Juulsen
Reilly or Kulak / Fleury

I think Juulsen and Romanov are top 4D potential but provide different things. Romanov seems to have a higher ceiling though.

Looks god awful ... Why do people always overvalue NHL prospects ... It's the same thing in fantasy baseball. A prospect crush A ball the Gm who owns him wants a MLB player for him lmao.

I remember the Louis Leblanc era days many people were saying wowww first line player !

Dalton Thrower ? What a steal!

Jarred Tinordi ? Future General of the defense!

Or, our prospect pool is sooooo deep David Fischer will be a 1st pairing D ... Michael Mccarron ? Future top 6 !

Zach Fucale ? Trade Price he is ready at 20!

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Looks god awful ... Why do people always overvalue NHL prospects ... It's the same thing in fantasy baseball. A prospect crush A ball the Gm who owns him wants a MLB player for him lmao.

I remember the Louis Leblanc era days many people were saying wowww first line player !

Or, our prospect pool is sooooo deep David Fischer will be a 1st pairing D ... Michael Mccarron ? Future top 6 !

It only looks god awful cause you think prospects from before = our future prospects. It's not the same hope man. You are ignoring draft plus develop years and progress tracks.

Poehling > Leblanc
Romanov > Thrower
Brook > Tinordi
Olofsson > McCarron
Juulsen > Fisher
Fucale = Primeau

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

It’s not god awful but your right when you say that where good for overvalue NHL prospect. I think we need to relaxe and put lower expectation for our prospect. Romanov look good yes, he is probably a futur top 4 but he can flop and never play in the league to. The real problem si think is that we forgot that the WJC is a 2 week tournament where anything can happen. They are alote of player that had an amazing tournament and that we never heard about them after.

Reactions: BeastMode420

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Romanov says no, you wont gain my zone without paying the price!!! Scott Stevens vibes..

Mini Subban. He is in your face, likes to join the rush, skates very well, and plays physical. Hard to predict how good his skills are and how this measures up to NHL talent cause it's too early

(Can't wait for some to say Romanov is not as good as Subban.. Well, what do you think Mini means?)

Reactions: dralaf

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
In today's NHL, just like it was before, if he keeps hitting like that, he'll have to fight. Not sure if he knows how to...but even if he does, not sure that he needs to be that physical because of the toolset he has elsewhere. I hope he tones it down. We don't want another EMelin on our hands. We want a new Markov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s not god awful but your right when you say that where good for overvalue NHL prospect. I think we need to relaxe and put lower expectation for our prospect. Romanov look good yes, he is probably a futur top 4 but he can flop and never play in the league to. The real problem si think is that we forgot that the WJC is a 2 week tournament where anything can happen. They are alote of player that had an amazing tournament and that we never heard about them after.

Correct, we should not put them on a pedestal where we think we know how they turn out for sure. However, we should not be comparing them to Thrower, Tinordi, McCarron, Leblanc though. Exaggeration to prove a point looks silly

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
In today's NHL, just like it was before, if he keeps hitting like that, he'll have to fight. Not sure if he knows how to...but even if he does, not sure that he needs to be that physical because of the toolset he has elsewhere. I hope he tones it down. We don't want another EMelin on our hands. We want a new Markov.
Maybe we’ll get a new species that has the Emelin physicality with the Markov skillset, it’ll be named the Romanov

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Maybe we’ll get a new species that has the Emelin physicality with the Markov skillset, it’ll be named the Romanov

Yet again, we need the skills. We don't need him with a target on his head. This is a NHL that fights guys that hits like that. It happened in the KHL, it will happen in the NHL. And unless he knows how to take care of himself, which we didn't see him do in that vid, we do not need him to do that.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
Mini Subban. He is in your face, likes to join the rush, skates very well, and plays physical. Hard to predict how good his skills are and how this measures up to NHL talent cause it's too early

(Can't wait for some to say Romanov is not as good as Subban.. Well, what do you think Mini means?)
He already looks much better than Jordan Subban. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yet again, we need the skills. We don't need him with a target on his head. This is a NHL that fights guys that hits like that. It happened in the KHL, it will happen in the NHL. And unless he knows how to take care of himself, which we didn't see him do in that vid, we do not need him to do that.

Did PK ever fight when he but checked Marchand and stopped him in his tracks on a dime? If it's a clean hit, that is not on Romanov and he should keep doing his thing. You don't need to be a fighter to lay out hits like that. You need to be smart about it though as it takes you out of the play and the center needs to be in position to take your spot in case the puck gets past you.

Re watch it... Romanov is smart enough to realize that he can make that hit cause the back pressure from the forwards was there.

Reactions: Acadien86

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Hitting is almost a dead art in the new NHL. I just hope he can stick handle and has good hockey sense. He clearly can skate.

When did we become anti-hitting? The NHL, the last time I checked, was still a contact league and stuff like that does matter, especially when you get into the grind of a 7 game series and wearing teams down. Just because it's not as frequent as it once was doesn't mean it's not important at all.

As for Romanov, keep doing your thing young man. Emelin with more skill would be beastly.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

In that play where Romanov hit the guy hard, he got jumped, he turtled and his team got a 3min PP. Romanov had 2 minutes (roughing) and the other 5 min for fighting and a 20min. I have no problem with him not fighting back after hitting a guy fair and square. Jumping a guy for this is stupid af imo, and Romanov should take advantage of it, just like he did.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
When did we become anti-hitting? The NHL, the last time I checked, was still a contact league and stuff like that does matter, especially when you get into the grind of a 7 game series and wearing teams down. Just because it's not as frequent as it once was doesn't mean it's not important at all.

As for Romanov, keep doing your thing young man. Emelin with more skill would be beastly.

All for hitting if you can answer. People would love it if he knocks somebody out with a check until, he gets a concussion for being punched in the face. This is what the NHL is.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
All for hitting if you can answer. People would love it if he knocks somebody out with a check until, he gets a concussion for being punched in the face. This is what the NHL is.

You also have to remember he is very young in a men's league. At this time most KHL players will be a lot stronger than him.

Reactions: 26Mats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad