Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Looks god awful ... Why do people always overvalue NHL prospects ... It's the same thing in fantasy baseball. A prospect crush A ball the Gm who owns him wants a MLB player for him lmao.

I remember the Louis Leblanc era days many people were saying wowww first line player !

Dalton Thrower ? What a steal!

Jarred Tinordi ? Future General of the defense!

Or, our prospect pool is sooooo deep David Fischer will be a 1st pairing D ... Michael Mccarron ? Future top 6 !

Zach Fucale ? Trade Price he is ready at 20!

As opposed to those who brilliantly say

Subban... bust
Pac... bust
Price... bust
ect?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
All for hitting if you can answer. People would love it if he knocks somebody out with a check until, he gets a concussion for being punched in the face. This is what the NHL is.
Emelin rarely ever had to fight. People would get pissy and cry in the media about it (Lucic.. Marchand.. lol) but rarely would he ever have to answer. People would try but it rarely ever happened.

Physically, to me, is still a coveted trait. Separates men from boys in the playoffs.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Fighting doesn't even cause many concussions anyways. Far more concussions are caused by illegal hits to the head, which Romanov doesn't do. He also hits in a that doesn't give you the slightest idea it might've been unclean. He plants two feet, doesn't use his hands or stick, and extends through the body rather than up.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Fighting doesn't even cause many concussions anyways. Far more concussions are caused by illegal hits to the head, which Romanov doesn't do. He also hits in a that doesn't give you the slightest idea it might've been unclean. He plants two feet, doesn't use his hands or stick, and extends through the body rather than up.

Beautiful technique indeed!

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
It only looks god awful cause you think prospects from before = our future prospects. It's not the same hope man. You are ignoring draft plus develop years and progress tracks.

Poehling > Leblanc
Romanov > Thrower
Brook > Tinordi
Olofsson > McCarron
Juulsen > Fisher
Fucale = Primeau

I have been fool way too many time with overvaluing prospect. When Sebastian Collberg was drafted it was a STEAL. Danny Kristo ? Soo much upside.

I still remember the first time I got into fantasy hockey on the internet I was like 12 years old. The guy offered me PAVEL ROSA and a 3rd round pick for Jere Lehtinen. He told me Rosa is the next big thing so much upside. Look for him on the internet, read about him and I was sold! Stupid young guys I was. He never did anything llollll

I remember the days we had Kostitsyn and Hockeys Future website was still a thing, we were TOP 5 in the whole NHL as some point based on overall talent. Nothing pan out lol

Majority will flop thats why I temper my expectations BUT Romanov and Poehling does look ready good and IMO are a lock. The rest, the usual hypetrain

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In today's NHL, just like it was before, if he keeps hitting like that, he'll have to fight. Not sure if he knows how to...but even if he does, not sure that he needs to be that physical because of the toolset he has elsewhere. I hope he tones it down. We don't want another EMelin on our hands. We want a new Markov.
He fought yesterday

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I have been fool way too many time with overvaluing prospect. When Sebastian Collberg was drafted it was a STEAL. Danny Kristo ? Soo much upside.

I still remember the first time I got into fantasy hockey on the internet I was like 12 years old. The guy offered me PAVEL ROSA and a 3rd round pick for Jere Lehtinen. He told me Rosa is the next big thing so much upside. Look for him on the internet, read about him and I was sold! Stupid young guys I was. He never did anything llollll

I remember the days we had Kostitsyn and Hockeys Future website was still a thing, we were TOP 5 in the whole NHL as some point based on overall talent. Nothing pan out lol

Majority will flop thats why I temper my expectations BUT Romanov and Poehling does look ready good and IMO are a lock. The rest, the usual hypetrain

Don’t be fooled and look at draft plus 1 and two years of development when you create your hype or hope on a prospect then?

How prospects are trending after being drafted means a lot!

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
As opposed to those who brilliantly say

Subban... bust
Pac... bust
Price... bust
ect?

What ect ... ? There's way more bust than success stories. Our prospect now are always milesss better than the past until 90 % of them bust when they play against real competition. I have been reading the same overjoy for the past 20 years and the end result is practically the same.

Of course some will pan out but I don't get overly excited like I used to, I have been on the hypetrain way too many times

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Emelin rarely ever had to fight. People would get pissy and cry in the media about it (Lucic.. Marchand.. lol) but rarely would he ever have to answer. People would try but it rarely ever happened.

Physically, to me, is still a coveted trait. Separates men from boys in the playoffs.
Unless I'm remembering it incorrectly, Emelin actually couldn't really fight due to having a plate in his head or something similar from a surgery. That was why people would get on his case, Knuckles in particular. He'd throw nasty and questionable hits than not have to answer which Knuckles considered to be gutless cowardliness.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What ect ... ? There's way more bust than success stories. Our prospect now are always milesss better than the past until 90 % of them bust when they play against real competition. I have been reading the same overjoy for the past 20 years and the end result is practically the same.

Of course some will pan out but I don't get overly excited like I used to, I have been on the hypetrain way too many times

True, bust potential > hit potential. However, the key ingredient you seem to overlook is draft plus development years and how prospects are trending

Reactions: Acadien86

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Well he's 18 playing against men, so not worried.

Next year he will be 19 years old playing against men. Just saying, I want him to be tough. But looking at homerun hits like that, the kid will be a target and will have to answer.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Next year he will be 19 years old playing against men. Just saying, I want him to be tough. But looking at homerun hits like that, the kid will be a target and will have to answer.
Like Subban was ? Come on, thats pretty much BS. Subban fought like four times in his career and he's been known to be one of the most aggressive body checker in the league. Same goes for Kronwall and Emelin.

Reactions: cphabs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Romanov's team won a nail-biter in a shoot-out that should have never happened. Romanov played well, IMO. I've gone from optimistic about the pick to in love with the pick. He's got something for everyone: fantastic skater, super aggressive, not just with his checks, but the way he plays in general. Always pinching, always trying to stretch the opponent out, always wanting to punish the opponent in some way.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Who looked better at the WJC? Hard to compare KHL stats vs OHL

WJC is a just a short tournament though, Collberg looked very good at the WJC's at 17, 18 and 19, racked up the points yet never could progress enough in the SHL. I watched a good bit of Subban and Romanov and I don't think it's really close as Subban showed unreal confidence and offensive ability at 19, he had the kind of season Brook looks to be on his way to having.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
In today's NHL, just like it was before, if he keeps hitting like that, he'll have to fight. Not sure if he knows how to...but even if he does, not sure that he needs to be that physical because of the toolset he has elsewhere. I hope he tones it down. We don't want another EMelin on our hands. We want a new Markov.
As long as his hits are clean, he wont have to fight much, did Emelin have to fight after a big hit? No, if a guy go after him following a clean hit, he puts his own team in trouble... Hitting at the blueline like Romanov does isnt easy, it takes pretty good mobility and synchronism, not many defensemen can do that and having a guy or 2 (Romanov Fleury) that can punish the opponents at gaining our zone. thats a pretty valuable and underrated asset to have since it makes the other teams fowards more careful and more hesitant at gaining our zone... I say lets keep hitting kid, thats an integral part of your game and I like it alot!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
WJC is a just a short tournament though, Collberg looked very good at the WJC's at 17, 18 and 19, racked up the points yet never could progress enough in the SHL. I watched a good bit of Subban and Romanov and I don't think it's really close as Subban showed unreal confidence and offensive ability at 19, he had the kind of season Brook looks to be on his way to having.

So how do we accurately compare KHL vs OHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So how do we accurately compare KHL vs OHL?

you don't, you use the eye test. Don't overrate short tournaments, watch them over long periods of time to see how they progress on their strengths and weaknesses. When I watched Subban in the OHL I thought we had a stud on our hands and I took a ton of heat because I ranked him over McDonagh and people said how can he be better then the guy we drafted 12th OA? When I watched Brook last year I said we have something really special on our hands. Only time will tell if he can be close to Subban or not but I could see him being not too far off especially if he can take a big leap physically in strength like Subban did.

Romanov I watch and while there's clearly a lot of things to like about him, I still struggle to figure out what he is as I don't know how much of an offensive game he'll have. Top pairing offense?, 2nd pairing offense, bottom pairing offense? I like the shot and how he's aggressive especially since he plays for a team that doesn't want him to be aggressive in the offensive zone. So it's hard to say with him how good can he be. Can he be close to Subban, I would be shocked if that's the case, they just don't seem anywhere close to me. That said we'll see how much he can improve next year as that's where Subban really started to shine imo.

Reactions: Habs76

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you don't, you use the eye test. Don't overrate short tournaments, watch them over long periods of time to see how they progress on their strengths and weaknesses. When I watched Subban in the OHL I thought we had a stud on our hands and I took a ton of heat because I ranked him over McDonagh and people said how can he be better then the guy we drafted 12th OA? When I watched Brook last year I said we have something really special on our hands. Only time will tell if he can be close to Subban or not but I could see him being not too far off especially if he can take a big leap physically in strength like Subban did.

Romanov I watch and while there's clearly a lot of things to like about him, I still struggle to figure out what he is as I don't know how much of an offensive game he'll have. Top pairing offense?, 2nd pairing offense, bottom pairing offense? I like the shot and how he's aggressive especially since he plays for a team that doesn't want him to be aggressive in the offensive zone. So it's hard to say with him how good can he be. Can he be close to Subban, I would be shocked if that's the case, they just don't seem anywhere close to me. That said we'll see how much he can improve next year as that's where Subban really started to shine imo.

Name me players who were top talent at this short world juniors that busted? Pretty sure the promising sample size trumps the disappointment sample size.

When did I start believeing in Subban? It was when I got to see how he looked against the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world. I have the same Hope in Subban as I Do with Romanov.

It’s just undetermined how much better Romanov will get. I get it, you mention PK and it seems like a streatch. I think he can be a mini Subban. I see that potential in him

Reactions: Goldenhands
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->