Speculation: Alexander Radulov Thread | Successfully Swam The Atlantic | Where Will He Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Varly isn't a random Russian. Eh, I don't know that he's incapable without Russians but it sure makes things easier. It's a lot easier to relax, just speak your language and have a beer with someone. I don't think a team needs to be full if Russians but one or two helps.

A team going on a deep playoff run doesn't need him and isn't looking at next year right now. I don't think it would be any of them.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think GM's are always looking to improve their team, that's their job. 99% of the time they're not spending that much time working on next year at this point of the season with their team still in it, but if the situation requires it, like there's a small bidding war going on for a premier talent who's services became available on May 1st instead of July 1st, then it's their job to pursue that player if they're at all interested.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I wasn't talking about Varly as a random one. He is one that has played with Rads before, and makes sense that he would help draw him. Grigo on the other hand has never played with Rads, so I doubt he would have much influence. Most teams have at least one Russian for him to have a beer with, but I think the ones that are friends are the only ones that might convince him....and I have no idea who those might be.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
A team going on a deep playoff run doesn't need him and isn't looking at next year right now. I don't think it would be any of them.

The people that negotiations should be if they are doing their job. There is nothing more the GM and company can do for this season except evaluate what they have and what they possibly could have

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Perhaps if the "Russian" factor is that big a draw it might be worth looking at whose communities may have a significant Russian presence or at least comparable to what he is comfortable in.

I just don't see Rads coming over for what is likely the final stage of his career and worrying as much about having a fellow country mate as I do him finding the spot that he thinks will bring him the highest chance at success; first individually and second organizationally

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Perhaps if the "Russian" factor is that big a draw it might be worth looking at whose communities may have a significant Russian presence or at least comparable to what he is comfortable in.

I just don't see Rads coming over for what is likely the final stage of his career and worrying as much about having a fellow country mate as I do him finding the spot that he thinks will bring him the highest chance at success; first individually and second organizationally

I think this idea of "highest chance of success" by itself is totally overrated. Good luck picking who's gonna make the playoffs, let alone who's gonna win the cup next year. I don't think players are trying to gamble on that anymore. It's a factor, but they're not eliminating that many teams because of it.

IMO, if Rads signs in Washington, it's just as much to play with Ovi as it is they have a better chance at the cup than the Avs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know GMs have to conduct business while their teams are still in the playoffs. It's more not a good fit than they don't have the time to do it. The on their terms part of it. Of course if some playoff team is super high on him they probably ran right over with an offer. Just saying it's more unlikely.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wasn't talking about Varly as a random one. He is one that has played with Rads before, and makes sense that he would help draw him. Grigo on the other hand has never played with Rads, so I doubt he would have much influence. Most teams have at least one Russian for him to have a beer with, but I think the ones that are friends are the only ones that might convince him....and I have no idea who those might be.

Why wouldn't Greg & Rads be friends? They're both Russian, and they're both the same age.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Cgf is joking about the speculations about Grigo's age. Some dummies were saying he doctored his documents so that he would appear younger than he really is.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think this idea of "highest chance of success" by itself is totally overrated. Good luck picking who's gonna make the playoffs, let alone who's gonna win the cup next year. I don't think players are trying to gamble on that anymore. It's a factor, but they're not eliminating that many teams because of it.

IMO, if Rads signs in Washington, it's just as much to play with Ovi as it is they have a better chance at the cup than the Avs.

That is why I listed the team success secondary to the individual success, but it was my impression it was rumored to be one of his criteria.

I just don't see Radulov choosing any team without his personal success being the number 1 priority, especially on a short term deal. This isn't a farewell tour, or a test drive just for the fun of it. This is likely his last shot to prove that he truly is one of the best players in the world and can be while playing in the best league in the world.

Sakics Snowblower

Aug 16, 2011
Saint John, NB
Is it possible the league is keeping any signing from being announced till after the playoffs? I recall them blocking certain announcements and news in the past so as to not overshadow the playoff games.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Is it possible the league is keeping any signing from being announced till after the playoffs? I recall them blocking certain announcements and news in the past so as to not overshadow the playoff games.

Leafs signed Zaitsev and made it official yesterday.

Sakics Snowblower

Aug 16, 2011
Saint John, NB
Very well then.

giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The league may not like it but they can't do anything to prevent it.

I think that's more in regard to the finals anyway, not the playoffs in general.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The league may not like it but they can't do anything to prevent it.

I think that's more in regard to the finals anyway, not the playoffs in general.

Exactly.

For instance, there's nothing that is stopping teams from trading right now, even playoff teams (though for those, the incoming player wouldn't be allowed to play, so it's not really worth it)...but the sense is that the NHL would rather the focus be on the playoffs.

Still, something might happen, Chris Nichols tweeted this after the draft lottery:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey · Apr 30
While bulk of deals will happen closer to draft, I believe there's decent chance we'll see first significant NHL trade domino fall in May.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
So when is that? When is it over

So nobody answered my question. Don't know when this WC ends if someone can respond.

Also the more this carries out the more I think he is signing with a team still in the playoffs and that is the only reason it hasn't been announced. I can't think of any other good reason as to why. This WC argument isn't a good argument imo unless he for some reason doesn't want to announce it until it's over.

So I am thinking it's TB now honestly. Dark horse nobody saw coming and fits the bill. All the pieces fit and they let Stamkos walk to FA so they have room.

Guess if I am right and depending on the time frame of the WC ending, we won't know until either that date or when TB is out of the playoffs which won't be until the finals I think as I think it's blues TB finals

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So nobody answered my question. Don't know when this WC ends if someone can respond.

Also the more this carries out the more I think he is signing with a team still in the playoffs and that is the only reason it hasn't been announced. I can't think of any other good reason as to why. This WC argument isn't a good argument imo unless he for some reason doesn't want to announce it until it's over.

So I am thinking it's TB now honestly. Dark horse nobody saw coming and fits the bill. All the pieces fit and they let Stamkos walk to FA so they have room.

Guess if I am right and depending on the time frame of the WC ending, we won't know until either that date or when TB is out of the playoffs which won't be until the finals I think as I think it's blues TB finals

It's like you're new to how the Avs do business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad