Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Did you read the article?

Its actually saying that analysts suggesting how Ovi has become defensively responsible this year aren't correct, that he was at this level under Bruce as well.

BS article from a guy who probably doesn't watch Caps games and just reads numbers. It fails the eye test. Ovi has improved leaps and bounds defensively. I know it is trying to defend his past play but it's wrong.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He was defensively responsible under Bruce for one season, I'd say (2009-10). The rest of Bruce's time (until that tenure unraveled), opposition simply didn't dare play aggressive offensively while Ovie was on the ice, for fear that he'd burn them in transition.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Nice dig at the very end. People have a very, very, very hard time saying nice things about the Caps for whatever reason. :shakehead

Washington Capitals: Philipp Grubauer is just the fifth goalie in nearly 80 years to win games in both the AHL and NHL playoffs in the same year. Which would be cool if wins were a statistic anyone should care about. But it's not so oh well.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The article is more of a condemnation of the lazy storyline's shoved down our throats by the national-level hockey media (TSN/CBC/NBCSN). I really don't get what the complaints from Caps fans are. We all obviously know those narratives have largely been BS.

I also don't see how it's stats abuse. The author used multiple seasons of sample size and evaluated multiple different stats. They all showed a similar story.

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
I read the article. I think when people are talking about an improvement in Ovie's defense they're talking about (1) a significant one vs. last year, which seems like it must be true, and (2) a slight improvement in general over the other years.

It's all hard to reduce to numbers for a number of reasons, but one of those reasons is that there is an element of overwhelming offense itself being good defense, I think. Under Boudreau there was some truly overwhelming offense happening at least for the first half of his time here.

And maybe Ovechkin's improved passing this year might be getting conflated with a commitment to team defense a little bit and maybe the article's not that far off when it says his defense isn't really all that much better than his previous best defensive years. But no one's gonna tell me he isn't more of an overall team player this year, while still potting 50, and no one's gonna tell me that this hasn't been the best year overall of his career.

Not saying the article is trying to tell me any of this--just saying that, y'know, we can quibble about whether his defense really improved or whatever, but it kinda doesn't matter to me. He's a better overall player right now, no one's ever gonna mistake him for Datsyuk or whatever other famous two-way guy you want to bring up, and I'd still rather have Ovechkin in any given season than any of those guys, especially the Ovechkin of this season.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
1.1 spot left

2.yes, as per team officials the spot is for Ovechkin, while pretty much everybody here would prefer them to do what is right for the team.

They're still hopeful that Ov plays in a couple of days. Ov should just tell them he's not coming this year. Commit 100% to the Caps and not have divided attention.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1848555&page=18

http://www.iihfworlds2015.com/en/games/

Russia plays Finland on May 12th. Finland should be tired since they play May 11th and Russia will be rested.

I hope Ov is focused on the Caps win and not distracted and is getting lots of sleep and not watching the games at all hours of the night.

Does Ted say anything? Team really needs OV to score.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good for Ovi. It's always been on his back to carry this team from the day he was drafted, he mind as well take the lead and show my fear.

For all to see.

Sandbag.jpg

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm glad Ovie said that. Someone needed to come out and be bold for once on this team.

This is his chance to make things happen. Great opportunity for him and the franchise.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm glad Ovie said that. Someone needed to come out and be bold for once on this team.

This is his chance to make things happen. Great opportunity for him and the franchise.

If we lose, we are the biggest chokers.
If we win but Ovi doesn't score, no one will bat an eye.
If we win in a blowout, Ovi will be a hero.

So, this is it. Next game is the biggest game of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad