Alexander Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I was looking back at Ovechkin's past seasons and was reminded of something peculiar. His drop in Assists and points over the years. How would Capitals fans explain his drop in A and Pts production after his 2011 season, where the next season even his goals were way down?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I was looking back at Ovechkin's past seasons and was reminded of something peculiar. His drop in Assists and points over the years. How would Capitals fans explain his drop in A and Pts production after his 2011 season, where the next season even his goals were way down?

Why did Ovi score less goals in 2011 and 2012 ?

Boudreau completely changing the system and Hunter defensive hockey reduced Ovi's goal totals. Hunter went as far as benching Ovi when defending leads in the 3rd period. I remember Ovi had 13 min of ice time in a playoff game.
Also, keep in mind that Backstrom had a concussion in 2012 and Ovi had to play with scrubs on his line.

Why did his assist totals drop ?

This guy left :
AP11041315993.jpg

Ovechkin became the only goal scoring threat on the team, and players like Marcus Johansson or Troy Brouwer were unable to convert on his brilliant passes.

He is still the best at what he does, and with Oshie or Williams on his line now, look for his assist and point totals to go up again.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

He had a bad couple years after the Russian Olympics...it was a combination of things but it was certainly mysterious/troubling...

Also, have you been watching the most recent Art Ross races?

Scoring champs in general are scoring less...

One more thing...

Have you ever watched Jay Beagle center a top line or Marcus Johansson finish a lay up?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
His go to ES move was solved when LDs started coming over aggressively, and Cs started coming back and all collapsing on him. The moved had to be played 1 on 3.

And very oddly, he seemed to have struggled with his release for almost a year.

He never needed Nick nor Crabb to pot his fiddy.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks guys.

I clearly see now why everything went down in 2012. Just 303 individual shots, and only a mere 863 shots for while he was on the ice. Compare that with his 09 campaign where he had 528 individual shots and was on the ice for 1287 shots for from the entire team. His TOI was definitley down, but more so the rate at which he created shots/goals etc. was way down.

As for the the last two years, similar story. Less on-ice shots for and significantly lower on-ice shooting percentage = no other lethal shooters like Semin.

Despite being a Ra(n)g(er)s fan, I'm actually a big fan of Ovi and his game, except when we face him of course. Those goals he scored against us in PO last year, especially game 2 were unreal. It's too bad for you guys that no one else outside of him, Holbty and maybe Ward showed up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks guys.

I clearly see now why everything went down in 2012. Just 303 individual shots, and only a mere 863 shots for while he was on the ice. Compare that with his 09 campaign where he had 528 individual shots and was on the ice for 1287 shots for from the entire team. His TOI was definitley down, but more so the rate at which he created shots/goals etc. was way down.

As for the the last two years, similar story. Less on-ice shots for and significantly lower on-ice shooting percentage = no other lethal shooters like Semin.

Despite being a Ra(n)g(er)s fan, I'm actually a big fan of Ovi and his game, except when we face him of course. Those goals he scored against us in PO last year, especially game 2 were unreal. It's too bad for you guys that no one else outside of him, Holbty and maybe Ward showed up.

Yeah, but Ovi is as good as he's ever been (save for his 2008-2010 peak). 2015 Ovechkin is better than rookie Ovechkin, despite not scoring 100 pts.

He's a consistent 50 goal scorer, generational player and by far the best at what he does. His issues are overblown, even his defensive play, they are only minor blemishes.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, but Ovi is as good as he's ever been (save for his 2008-2010 peak). 2015 Ovechkin is better than rookie Ovechkin, despite not scoring 100 pts.

He's a consistent 50 goal scorer, generational player and by far the best at what he does. His issues are overblown, even his defensive play, they are only minor blemishes.

id rather have rookie ov. imo

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
Rookie Ovi could at least stick handle.

Oof, that and his skating took a step back.

This. It's strange how his stick handling has seemed to take a big step back. He still pulls off some nice moves, just not as consistently, and I'm sure part of that has to do with him getting slower.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
This. It's strange how his stick handling has seemed to take a big step back. He still pulls off some nice moves, just not as consistently, and I'm sure part of that has to do with him getting slower.

Maybe the rest of the league just got better at not giving him the time and space to stick handle?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Maybe the rest of the league just got better at not giving him the time and space to stick handle?

i dont think thats it, ov when he was coming into the leauge had some a pretty good set of hands , now its as if he couldnt beat a pylon on his hands alone.(exageration, but not by much).

also thats for 1v1. his shooting aspect is still elite

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Rookie Ovi could at least stick handle.

Oof, that and his skating took a step back.

He's slower than he used to be at top end speed but he is still as explosive as before. His acceleration hasn't declined at all. Ovi is bigger than he was at 20, he's gained 30 lbs.

Yes. The clutch and grab is back, he didn't have to face that when he was younger. If the hooking and interference were called once again, you'd see Ovi stick handling and skating his way around defenders. Defensemen and systems have gradually improved too.

i dont think thats it, ov when he was coming into the leauge had some a pretty good set of hands , now its as if he couldnt beat a pylon on his hands alone.(exageration, but not by much).

also thats for 1v1. his shooting aspect is still elite

He still has those great hands, he just doesn't use them very often. His shot has improved though, it keeps getting harder and more accurate over the years. He hits long shots with more consistency and his release became even more powerful.

As a rookie, Ovechkin got most of his goals on odd-man rushes, 2 on 1s, breakaways and individual efforts. These indicate a very fast and skilled winger.

These days, Ovechkin scores one-timers, deflections, rebounds, long shots and some other goals of the previous categories. These indicate a smart player.

Ovechkin might not be as fast/reckless as he used to be, but he's a lot more experienced and has improved a lot on his 2-way game. Still scores 50 goals, but makes smarter decisions all over the ice to compensate for the little bit of speed he lost. Ovi is still faster than 95% of the league anyway.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's slower than he used to be at top end speed but he is still as explosive as before. His acceleration hasn't declined at all. Ovi is bigger than he was at 20, he's gained 30 lbs.

Yes. The clutch and grab is back, he didn't have to face that when he was younger. If the hooking and interference were called once again, you'd see Ovi stick handling and skating his way around defenders. Defensemen and systems have gradually improved too.

He still has those great hands, he just doesn't use them very often. His shot has improved though, it keeps getting harder and more accurate over the years. He hits long shots with more consistency and his release became even more powerful.

As a rookie, Ovechkin got most of his goals on odd-man rushes, 2 on 1s, breakaways and individual efforts. These indicate a very fast and skilled winger.

These days, Ovechkin scores one-timers, deflections, rebounds, long shots and some other goals of the previous categories. These indicate a smart player.

Ovechkin might not be as fast/reckless as he used to be, but he's a lot more experienced and has improved a lot on his 2-way game. Still scores 50 goals, but makes smarter decisions all over the ice to compensate for the little bit of speed he lost. Ovi is still faster than 95% of the league anyway.

Agreed. But, 'reckless' ovi to me was much more dominant. The impact he could have on the game from his wing position was unbelieavable.

I remember this game, prime example of the 'reckless' ovi. BTW, where does this rank amongst his greatest performances, is this his magnum opus? Hat-trick game vs pit?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He still stick handles and dazzles. It's just not his bread and butter anymore. I think he's molded his game to both the current NHL and to his aging. He hasn't slown down considerably since his rookie year, but he definitely isn't as quick. He is still one of the most aggressive and hardest skaters in terms of explosiveness that there is in the NHL. I remember that one chart that marked the force behind a player's stride and their acceleration, comparing all the best skaters in the league, and Ovechkin's looked like he was from another breed. He towered above the rest.

He's molded into a sniper instead of a stick handling free-range player. That's fine. It's harder to do anything special with how the NHL is constructed. He kept trying to do his old moves around the 2011-2012 season and it wasn't working. Defensemen caught on to them, and his numbers suffered. The past three years he realized he probably has the best one timer in the league, and no one can stop it when it is set up properly. All a goalie can do is pray the puck hits him, but with the way Ovi picks corners, it's a lot less likely they do.

What scores in today's NHL? Deflections, point shots, one-timers, or extra creative stick handling and free range tactics? The answer is obvious. The way that the defensive structures work now is, clog your man, interfere up the boards, stay in the shooting lanes, and hope the other team's shots deflect off you into the stands. Just look in that highlight video from 08-09. Both the Rangers players tried to take Ovi with the body WHILE he had the puck. When does that happen anymore? Rarely, because Ovi will burn them. It rarely happens over the entire NHL nowadays. The big hits and trying to throw the body in open ice doesn't work in the defensive zone. That highlight reel goal doesn't exist if those players don't put themselves in that position. And good defenders rarely do anymore for that reason exactly. The high percentage play is to stick check or to clog, not to rush the body. Personally I think it is amazing the transformation Ovi has had through the years because he was able to adapt like this. He's a world class athlete and the best in the game in so many different facets.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Agreed. But, 'reckless' ovi to me was much more dominant. The impact he could have on the game from his wing position was unbelieavable.

I remember this game, prime example of the 'reckless' ovi. BTW, where does this rank amongst his greatest performances, is this his magnum opus? Hat-trick game vs pit?

The hat trick vs the Pens is the best game of his career. All 3 goals were unbelievable.

The peak of his career spans from October 2007 to February 2010. Ovi destroyed the league before the Olympics (89 pts in 54 games). After that, the slump began. It ended 3 years later during the lockout season in which he was named MVP.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Last year he was fine. There were a few years where he kind of lost confidence and still tried to stickhandle through 3 guys and kept losing it. Last year he got much smarter getting rid of the puck -- and actually when he did stickhandle, say his patented through the legs move, I think his success rate was as high as ever.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Man...time flies....this is a must read reflection:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=155609

Its amazing...Ovechkin was touted as the best prospect since Mario Lemieux at the time of his draft.

To think...he has most likely EXCEEDED expectations...

If we only had BMac as GM instead of McPhee...I'm convinced he would have surrounded him with better talent (especially on D)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Its amazing...Ovechkin was touted as the best prospect since Mario Lemieux at the time of his draft.

If we only had BMac as GM instead of McPhee...I'm convinced he would have surrounded him with better talent (especially on D)

Seeing Octopi in that thread...makes me sad. :(

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Most people were expecting 50-60 pts in his rookie year.
Only the second player ever to score 50 goals and 100 pts in a rookie season, after Selanne.

10 years later, Ovi and Sid have cemented their legacy as generational players and proved to everyone that they're a cut above the rest.

I think a lot of great things could happen in the second half of Ovi's career (winning the Cup, matching Gretzky's record for most 50 goal seasons by a single player, scoring 750+ goals, getting close to 1500 pts...)

Ovi has made 10 years of Caps hockey enjoyable, despite the shortcomings. Man, what a legend.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

McPhee did what he was supposed to do for the rebuild. He surrounded Ovechkin with the youth and energy the team needed to transform into a contender. He built the core of a team that could contend via the draft and trades. Green, Laich, Fleischmann, Varlamov, and Carlson were all acquired via McPhee's trades. It's only really from 2009/2010ish and onwards that he failed to put together the type of rosters we needed, by failing to fill the gaps in the roster to support that core.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Seeing Octopi in that thread...makes me sad. :(

Has there been any update for that situation? I recall seeing a thread not too long ago wondering and nobody knew.

Love that NYR goal. What a special player. Nobody else in the league could pull that off. Nobody. I don't think anyone could score the goal he had against them this past playoff series either.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad