Alexander Kerfoot Discussion Thread

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
So you're suggesting he needs to take a run at Hughes to throw a hit, on the power play, when they have control and setup?

It's poor play to turn it over but as you say it happens, Petterson's shot gets deflected away instead of just getting past Mikheyev's stick and we probably never mention it.

Kerfoot is a decent player, good speed, good passer, good defensive positioning and work but he is undersized and not strong on the draw which takes away some of his defensive value. Versatility to be used as complimentary top 6 winger or 3C and a 3.5 cap hit.

Would I love to get a legitimate shut down 3C with size and snarl who can chip in some offense (ideally a right shot too)? Absolutely, but that's a tough player to find especially considering cap realities.

I’ll say it again
Anzi Kopitar as a rental at trade deadline !!!
Now that’s 3 top centres

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You just say that because it’s woven into your Kadri bias, try actually watching him. He’s miscast as a shutdown center, but it’s what we have. It’s the same as you guys constantly pumping Barrie last year, for same reasons, even though he was absolute dogshit here. It was comical to see the intellectual pretzels people would go through just so they didn’t have to admit we lost that trade.

Kerfoot isn’t good defensively, he’s a serviceable NHLer, who is over paid and just okay at every facet of the game. Seems obvious at this point, but keep pumping and you’ll get your shots in because he will be on the team all year, getting opportunities. I’ll stick with the totality, until I see different.

The poster you replied to has a contrarian history, you say up, he will say down, you give an accurate assessment of a players skill he wont.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We'd all be better off if people realized speed, positioning and puck movement were more important defensively than toughness.

If you want to say "people" then you're just pulling your punches. Why don't you just type:

"We'd all be better off if ottomaddox realized speed, positioning and puck movement were more important defensively than toughness."

?

Reactions: NikoEhlers

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Having a Selke winner as our 3rd line C would be sick!
It would, but he has a 10 million cap hit so unless we're sending back Taveras/Marner/Matthews it's not gonna work. Even if they ate up to half the contract we'd still need to send back Nylander to make it work, and then LA is basically paying 10-12 million a year for Nylander instead of 10 million for Kopitar which seems silly for them to do.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It would, but he has a 10 million cap hit so unless we're sending back Taveras/Marner/Matthews it's not gonna work. Even if they ate up to half the contract we'd still need to send back Nylander to make it work, and then LA is basically paying 10-12 million a year for Nylander instead of 10 million for Kopitar which seems silly for them to do.

Rain cloud meet parade ... :) ;)

A man can dream can't he?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
All the Trade Dermott talk is nonsense. Kerfoot is the guy we should trade or expose in the expansion draft. All the UFA’s that we have and want back will get signed after the draft and adds a couple protection spots for both Dermott and Holl. I would grab a asset for Kerfoot if possible. We have Spezza,Thornton,Brooks,Engvall etc to replace the guy. I would ship him to Calgary for Bennett quicker than you can blink. Have a read on this expansion draft everyone is talking about. We are in awesome shape and it all boils down to sign Ufa after the draft. Who will Maple Leafs lose in Seattle Kraken expansion draft?

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Kerfoot needs to be replaced by a legit #3 center with above average faceoff & two way ability. This experiment is over.

hes also great defensively being a +/- of 0 having a 55+% defensive zone start, meanwhile every other center on this team is starting in the OZONE almost 55 to 60% of the time. he makes 1 mistake on the PK and everyone goes crazy.

hes been fine his wingers have been the problem. although i agree his Biggest problem is faceoffs and you kind of need that for a 3rd and 4th line center.

also who is available to be 3c ?? all the garbage teams are shit down the middle, this is the list i could make from the bottom 10 teams i the league of guys who are probably going to move.
glendenning, namestikov, filipula , lias andersson, sutter, beagle, gaudette, huala, richardson, bleuger, jankowski, eakin, turris, johan larrsson, bonino,

frankly those guys are not upgrades and the only guys i would consider getting would be bleuger or huala. Huala seems to be great as Faceoffs so
having kerfoot-huala-soup .... would be a great 3rd line

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Perhaps it's the lack of chemistry with the third line, which seems to be an ongoing issue, that's causing Kerfoot more issues than it should

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Perhaps it's the lack of chemistry with the third line, which seems to be an ongoing issue, that's causing Kerfoot more issues than it should
Who would you expect to score a goal on the 3rd line? There's no real strong shooter on that line. Would like to see Vesey/Robertson perhaps switching 3rd/4th line rolls depending on the situation. Maybe even try Adam Brooks in there?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Percentage of Shifts started in the Offensive zone:

1. Thornton 22.9%
2. Brooks 22.2%
3. Barabanov 16.7%
4. Anderson 16.7%
5. Marner 15.7%
6. Matthews 15.7%
7. Nylander 15.0%
8. Petan 14.8%
9. Engvall 14.6%
10. Tavares 14.4%
11. Boyd 14.1%
12. Spezza 12.6%
13. Simmonds 11.8%
14. Vesey 9.7%
15. Hyman 9.6%
16. Mikheyev 5.4%
17. Kerfoot 3.1%
18. Robertson 0.0%

Reactions: Teeder Keon

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

1. Thornton 22.9%
2. Brooks 22.2%
3. Barabanov 16.7%
4. Anderson 16.7%
5. Marner 15.7%
6. Matthews 15.7%
7. Nylander 15.0%
8. Petan 14.8%
9. Engvall 14.6%
10. Tavares 14.4%
11. Boyd 14.1%
12. Spezza 12.6%
13. Simmonds 11.8%
14. Vesey 9.7%
15. Hyman 9.6%
16. Mikheyev 5.4%
17. Kerfoot 3.1%
18. Robertson 0.0%
Gee, if I’m a coach in the offensive zone, would I rather have my two offensive centers who win draws with the best of them or stone hands that will give the puck up. What a revelation, he must be great defensively.

Meh. Kerfoot is okay defensively, he’s in the “shutdown” role because he’s all we got, doesn’t mean he’s that effective, he really isn’t. Pretty simple.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Gee, if I’m a coach in the offensive zone, would I rather have my two offensive centers who win draws with the best of them or stone hands that will give the puck up. What a revelation, he must be great defensively.

Meh. Kerfoot is okay defensively, he’s in the “shutdown” role because he’s all we got, doesn’t mean he’s that effective, he really isn’t. Pretty simple.
Nice takes

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019

1. Thornton 22.9%
2. Brooks 22.2%
3. Barabanov 16.7%
4. Anderson 16.7%
5. Marner 15.7%
6. Matthews 15.7%
7. Nylander 15.0%
8. Petan 14.8%
9. Engvall 14.6%
10. Tavares 14.4%
11. Boyd 14.1%
12. Spezza 12.6%
13. Simmonds 11.8%
14. Vesey 9.7%
15. Hyman 9.6%
16. Mikheyev 5.4%
17. Kerfoot 3.1%
18. Robertson 0.0%
Hey Zeke , are you accepting new clients ? If you are sign me up brotha , you sure fight for your client , no matter what ! Ha ha
Or you may be of the Kerfootian variety ?
All good man
Go Leafs Go !
Sorry but AK is still the weakest link of the regular forwards ;()

Reactions: zeke

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

You're right his ozs% don't show anything about his defense.

It does make his solid 3rd line offensive production more impressive, though.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting spot on 590 with Chris Johnston and how Kerfoot is completely miscast as a shutdown guy. Then you come here and he’s Peter Zezel.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I have no problem with Kerfy. Seems like a good guy and he competes hard. Having him transition to a PKer has made him more valuable to us. That said, much the same as the guys we lost this off-season in trade, Kerfoot and his 3.5 make it seem likely he won't finish out his contract here

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Another point Johnston had I liked, move Kerfoot back with JT and Bill on the second line, it worked before. Thornton moves to 3rd line and leave the potent 1st line alone. Kerfoot might be just fine with those two. He is an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad