Alexander Kerfoot Discussion Thread

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I mean, he has the same amount of 5v5 points as Hyman this year, while playing 50 less minutes and far inferior players.

I am always for upgrading if possible, but I don't really get the Kerfoot hate.

He's the kind of guy you can trust to do one thing absolutely mind-numbingly stupid each game. He zips around like a little water bug and nothing is really accomplished, except for a bad turnover or a bad PIM. He's like a one man momentum vacuum.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He is not a great defensive player and his gaffe on the PK last night almost cost us the game.

I think he is miscast as a 3rd line shutdown centre. He would be better as a top 6 winger.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Jack of all trades, master of none type of player. I'd like Kerfoot a lot more at 1.5m as opposed to 3.5m, we'll lose him at the expansion draft which is fine, not a hard player to upgrade on but I don't think that happens until the summer. I'd also prefer him on the wing.

Do you think he will get picked? One can dream...one can dream ... :)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is not a great defensive player and his gaffe on the PK last night almost cost us the game.

I think he is miscast as a 3rd line shutdown centre. He would be better as a top 6 winger.
He isn’t great defensively, people just say it because he gets some matchups obviously on the third line but that doesn’t mean he’s truly effective. What’s the alternative for the Leafs in the three hole? Spezza? Thornton? I think we may see that actually. You don’t move Willie down? He’s there because he’s there really, he’s what we got. It’s pure myth really that he’s good defensively from what I see.

He’s also mediocre as all get out on the PK, Engvall is much more effective on the second unit.

Kerfoot is vanilla, “just okay”. I actually called a goal for him last night, because he’s on the ice, eventually a good thing happens, but the totality is underwhelming. We ride the horses, Kerfoot is filler for now.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He isn’t great defensively, people just say it because he gets some matchups obviously on the third line but that doesn’t mean he’s truly effective.

He is very good defensively.

People just say he isn't because they don't know how to evaluate defense.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
He's the kind of guy you can trust to do one thing absolutely mind-numbingly stupid each game. He zips around like a little water bug and nothing is really accomplished, except for a bad turnover or a bad PIM. He's like a one man momentum vacuum.
Love to see Dan Daoust in the 3rd spot

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Usually certain posters love to come back to threads like this and say: "He scored a goal tonight. In your face ottomaddux!" I am pretty shocked it didn't happen.

Anyway yes. He scored a goal, but did you see him on that series where Vancouver scored on the Leafs?

Watch from 1:28 on. People want to tell me that he's a defensive forward? Ok he gives the puck away. That's fine. It happens to the best. Look at Kerfoot's recovery though. He is fly-by machine as far as I can see. Disorganized and a stick checking downie soft flag football player.

I'm mostly arguing that he is just not there when it comes to the responsibility of a 3rd line C. He's averaging 14:40 TOI and that is way too much for a marginal NHLer.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is very good defensively.

People just say he isn't because they don't know how to evaluate defense.
You just say that because it’s woven into your Kadri bias, try actually watching him. He’s miscast as a shutdown center, but it’s what we have. It’s the same as you guys constantly pumping Barrie last year, for same reasons, even though he was absolute dogshit here. It was comical to see the intellectual pretzels people would go through just so they didn’t have to admit we lost that trade.

Kerfoot isn’t good defensively, he’s a serviceable NHLer, who is over paid and just okay at every facet of the game. Seems obvious at this point, but keep pumping and you’ll get your shots in because he will be on the team all year, getting opportunities. I’ll stick with the totality, until I see different.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He is OK as our #3C but he is ultimately going to be another victim of the flat cap. Maybe Boyd slides up to #3C next year or Dubas goes shopping/trades for a cheaper one.

Reactions: DarkKnight

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You just say that because it’s woven into your Kadri bias, try actually watching him. He’s miscast as a shutdown center, but it’s what we have. It’s the same as you guys constantly pumping Barrie last year, for same reasons, even though he was absolute dogshit here. It was comical to see the intellectual pretzels people would go through just so they didn’t have to admit we lost that trade.

Kerfoot isn’t good defensively, he’s a serviceable NHLer, who is over paid and just okay at every facet of the game. Seems obvious at this point, but keep pumping and you’ll get your shots in because he will be on the team all year, getting opportunities. I’ll stick with the totality, until I see different.

He's a beautiful skater that is always in good position defensively and skates the puck out of danger effortlessly.

His production is also solid 3rd line production.

Reactions: stopclickbait

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We'd all be better off if people realized speed, positioning and puck movement were more important defensively than toughness.
Who said anything about toughness? Odd. Is he horrible defensively nobody is saying that, is he very good as you’re trying to argue with empty calorie verbiage, no he isn’t.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Watch from 1:28 on. People want to tell me that he's a defensive forward? Ok he gives the puck away. That's fine. It happens to the best. Look at Kerfoot's recovery though. He is fly-by machine as far as I can see. Disorganized and a stick checking downie soft flag football player.

For sure, same game Marner gave the puck away in a similar brain dead fashion but the difference is Marner worked his butt off to fix his mistake. Kerfoot once he makes a mistake loses his hockey sense and over plays the correction.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Usually certain posters love to come back to threads like this and say: "He scored a goal tonight. In your face ottomaddux!" I am pretty shocked it didn't happen.

Anyway yes. He scored a goal, but did you see him on that series where Vancouver scored on the Leafs?

I'm mostly arguing that he is just not there when it comes to the responsibility of a 3rd line C. He's averaging 14:40 TOI and that is way too much for a marginal NHLer.

So you're suggesting he needs to take a run at Hughes to throw a hit, on the power play, when they have control and setup?

It's poor play to turn it over but as you say it happens, Petterson's shot gets deflected away instead of just getting past Mikheyev's stick and we probably never mention it.

Kerfoot is a decent player, good speed, good passer, good defensive positioning and work but he is undersized and not strong on the draw which takes away some of his defensive value. Versatility to be used as complimentary top 6 winger or 3C and a 3.5 cap hit.

Would I love to get a legitimate shut down 3C with size and snarl who can chip in some offense (ideally a right shot too)? Absolutely, but that's a tough player to find especially considering cap realities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad