Player Discussion Alexander Edler | Pending free agent, possible TDL commodity. What should be done?

What should be done with Alexander Edler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah you’re right this is so much better:

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Pouliot-Gudbranson

Like what..

This is much much much better.... Yes!

In this group, there is one pairing who can play against good players and one pairing that can manage against second line opponents (but should be a really good third pairing), with one that is of AHL level....

In your first one, there is one paring who can manage against second line opponents (but should be a really good third pairing), one who will get destroyed against good players and may not be able to defend against second line players for a couple of years, and one who will be AHL level.

See how that works?

Why on earth would you want to throw Hughes, our most Valuable defensive piece of the future, into a situation where he gets eaten alive?

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
Can easily sign a left handed dman in free agency.

Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
FA-Gudbranson

I guess I should have been more specific... is there a capable and realistic replacement who is cheaper that is available for our number one left dman who could handle the same tough minutes? Our defence is bad enough this year. Without a proven #1 on the left side things would be disastrous.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
okay once again, putting gas on the fire .... for all of you...

1. who do you think we could sign in free agency cheaper than Edler.

2, What do you think a) a NTC is worth annually to Edler, and b) a NMC is.

I actually think (myself) that Edler wants to stay here and will give us a very good home town discount.

And i think a NTC is worth about $.75 - 1 M. A NMC ... hmm add ... say 20%.

Reactions: pgj98m3

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Seriously Bill? Why do you try to turn it into a hate for Swedes? It has nothing to do with him being Swedish, and if you were paying attention you would see over the past few years I've been screaming for them to trade Tanev. Did he get a Swedish passport that apparently only I know about? Enough with that stupidity. It's about actually kicking off a rebuild for this team! It's about tying to turn this team into a good young team that has a legitimate chance of developing into a Cup contender. You might be okay with this junk, but I sure as hell are not.

Loyalty is worth diddly squat in this league. But hey, we wasted Tanev's trade utility. Got nothing for the Sedins. Got nothing for Hamhuis. So why not waste Edler's trade utility too? Not like this team could use more quality assets.

You think we will make the playoffs next year??? :laugh: This team is still junk. Wake up man.

:shakehead

I think EP alone make us close. I think we make the playoffs next ¥ear. I have no problem with trading Tanev.I think that boat has sailed in terms of a decent return, but who cars.

Hamhuis was just stupid, agreed. The Sedin's were going nowhere, and you have bitched about them for 40 or 50 years. Want to put a minor bet on the playoff next year? I will wager up to $1000 if you give me 2 : 1 odds. Enough money my wife will make me miserable, but i suspect it will make you reconsider.

I actually think we will be there next year. Oh on another site you suggested Teyamkin has 2 more years. I assume you mean 1 more after this one.

And loyalty means something. I was very negative about Gillis (when he was hired, thought he did a fantastic job), but someone in the Canucks system told me that they all really liked him, and hated Aquaman.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I think EP alone make us close. I think we make the playoffs next ¥ear. I have no problem with trading Tanev.I think that boat has sailed in terms of a decent return, but who cars.

Hamhuis was just stupid, agreed. The Sedin's were going nowhere, and you have *****ed about them for 40 or 50 years. Want to put a minor bet on the playoff next year? I will wager up to $1000 if you give me 2 : 1 odds. Enough money my wife will make me miserable, but i suspect it will make you reconsider.

I actually think we will be there next year. Oh on another site you suggested Teyamkin has 2 more years. I assume you mean 1 more after this one.

And loyalty means something. I was very negative about Gillis (when he was hired, thought he did a fantastic job), but someone in the Canucks system told me that they all really liked him, and hated Aquaman.

Well then clearly you haven't learned from Edmonton. McDavid alone doesn't make the Oilers close, so why would EP alone make us close?

Trading Tanev is fine, except we won't get as much for him now as we could have 2-3 years ago. That's why we have to trade Edler now. He's valuable and can bring back a decent return. But instead you would rather this team stay bad and hold on to their old veterans.

My opinion of the Sedins has nothing to do with my views on asset management. I will always maintain it's better to get something for players who aren't going to be here than to just let them rot and leave for nothing. But hey, the Sedins retiring here has done so much for this team...I mean, the extra draft picks we got for them staying here...that's been a huge help. Oh wait.

And the same can be said about Edler. You would rather he rot on a bad team than trade him and get something for him. That's the problem I have.

I would take that bet but I want to wait and see what this team looks like after this season. For all I know Benning could be fired and ownership could bring in someone competent. But let's table that for now and revisit it in a couple months. I'll gladly take $1000 from you. What's with you wanting 2:1 odds though? If you're so certain they will make the playoffs then let's do it straight up.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Well then clearly you haven't learned from Edmonton. McDavid alone doesn't make the Oilers close, so why would EP alone make us close?

Trading Tanev is fine, except we won't get as much for him now as we could have 2-3 years ago. That's why we have to trade Edler now. He's valuable and can bring back a decent return. But instead you would rather this team stay bad and hold on to their old veterans.

My opinion of the Sedins has nothing to do with my views on asset management. I will always maintain it's better to get something for players who aren't going to be here than to just let them rot and leave for nothing. But hey, the Sedins retiring here has done so much for this team...I mean, the extra draft picks we got for them staying here...that's been a huge help. Oh wait.

And the same can be said about Edler. You would rather he rot on a bad team than trade him and get something for him. That's the problem I have.

I would take that bet but I want to wait and see what this team looks like after this season. For all I know Benning could be fired and ownership could bring in someone competent. But let's table that for now and revisit it in a couple months. I'll gladly take $1000 from you. What's with you wanting 2:1 odds though? If you're so certain they will make the playoffs then let's do it straight up.
Some of us can remember Scotty Bowman's asset mgmt.....people howled but the Habs were a dynasty.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Some of us can remember Scotty Bowman's asset mgmt.....people howled but the Habs were a dynasty.

It shocks me how this concept is lost on people.

The Canucks, if they are rebuilding, should value the young assets/picks they could get from trading Edler over keeping him around for another 3-4 years on a contract that will be a bad contract midway through. Edler is also someone who is very prone to injury, and that's not something that will reverse itself as he gets older. We can either sign him to what will be a bad contract and let his value erode, or trade him now for something good.

Sadly, the concept of asset management seems to be just as lost on Jim Benning as it is a lot of Canucks fans.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Zero chance edler gets traded. Zero. Its not in Bennings best interest. Isnt it a contract year for him next year? He wont be trading his best defender when his contract is coming up for renewal. Canucks will probably be a buyer this deadline.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
Sadly, the concept of asset management seems to be just as lost on Jim Benning as it is a lot of Canucks fans.

Edler is on the downword slope of his performace curve. His performance is only going to get worse and the slope steeper. They need to renew the cycle and get picks, young prospects back as opposed to letting his value be marginilized.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Edler is on the downword slope of his performace curve. His performance is only going to get worse and the slope steeper. They need to renew the cycle and get picks, young prospects back as opposed to letting his value be marginilized.

Be careful...this kind of talk might make @ChilliBilly accuse you of hating Swedes too.

100% agree with everything you say.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Zero chance edler gets traded. Zero. Its not in Bennings best interest. Isnt it a contract year for him next year? He wont be trading his best defender when his contract is coming up for renewal. Canucks will probably be a buyer this deadline.

Elder is a UFA July 1.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Elder is a UFA July 1.
He's a UFA that doesnt want to move. I really doubt he'll waive to be traded to a contender as a rental.

Best case scenario is a 1st+ as a playoff rental then resign a reasonable deal back here July 1. So we all know whatll happen is no trade then signing here for 2 years too long at $2mil per too much

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Provide a link then. You said many. One person is not many. Again, stop making things up.

I’ll admit that I embellished the “many people” thing (lol), but one of the Pierre’s made that comment. Given that you seem to idolize CanucksArmy for flat out making things up (ie 9th for Miller rejection), I figured that you would have enjoyed that Hughes comment.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
@bobbyb2009 @Canadian Canuck

Here’s what my hope for next years defense is:

Edler-Myers (possibly)
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher

If Juolevi flourishes in Utica, he bumps Hutton from the line up. Hutton trade. Guds and Stecher rotate.

Still waiting for you to provide the "many" sources who said Hughes would go number 2 in a re-draft of the 2018 draft, as well as the sources who claim he's barely behind Dahlin.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Scotty Bowman was the coach though.
Sam Pollock was the GM. And his asset management was amazing.
I stand corrected..but the cold-blooded decision making ran thru the organization. Similar to the Patriots...a team I hate but grudgingly respect.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I’ll admit that I embellished the “many people” thing (lol), but one of the Pierre’s made that comment. Given that you seem to idolize CanucksArmy for flat out making things up (ie 9th for Miller rejection), I figured that you would have enjoyed that Hughes comment.

Embellished? You made it up.

See, when I make a claim I can provide a link to a source. All you've done is say someone said it on the radio and you don't even know who. Big difference.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I stand corrected..but the cold-blooded decision making ran thru the organization. Similar to the Patriots...a team I hate but grudgingly respect.
Yeah he ran it like a business.
My favourite move was when the Habs had the Oakland Seals first pick and Guy Lafleur was slated to be the first overall that year. When it looked like LA might challenge Oakland for last place Pollock traded Ralph Backstrom to the Kings to make sure they finished ahead of the Seals.
And of course Montreal drafted Lafleur!

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
It shocks me how this concept is lost on people.

The Canucks, if they are rebuilding, should value the young assets/picks they could get from trading Edler over keeping him around for another 3-4 years on a contract that will be a bad contract midway through. Edler is also someone who is very prone to injury, and that's not something that will reverse itself as he gets older. We can either sign him to what will be a bad contract and let his value erode, or trade him now for something good.

We had a window to move this player 18 months ago but it closed and we are now completely at his mercy....we have no leverage and he seems disinclined to uproot his life to accommodate the wishes of the fan base. If he was willing to waive his NTC and we could get a return, i'd be first in line to drive him to the airport, but what are you actually expecting here?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad