Player Discussion Alexander Edler | Pending free agent, possible TDL commodity. What should be done?

What should be done with Alexander Edler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We had a window to move this player 18 months ago but it closed and we are now completely at his mercy....we have no leverage and he seems disinclined to uproot his life to accommodate the wishes of the fan base. If he was willing to waive his NTC and we could get a return, i'd be first in line to drive him to the airport, but what are actually expecting here?

Well according to some Benning Bro's, the Canucks were starting the rebuild 18 months ago, so there's no excuse for them not to have traded him back then. They didn't (because this isn't a rebuild). Beyond that, management should have been working on convincing Edler to waive his NTC this year since day 1 of the season. But again, we're not in a rebuild so they're more focused on re-signing him than anything. Benning hasn't been able to bring in any quality pro level defensemen in his 5 seasons here, and since he's entering a contract year next season he knows he has to start winning so he clearly has no willingness to build towards any future.

The fact that some people think Benning has done a good job here, deserves to still be GM, and that this team is trending up makes me think I should be in the bridge selling business.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
@bobbyb2009 @Canadian Canuck

Here’s what my hope for next years defense is:

Edler-Myers (possibly)
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher

If Juolevi flourishes in Utica, he bumps Hutton from the line up. Hutton trade. Guds and Stecher rotate.

Well, I believe the chart you describe would be a much much better defense than the one we have today or than the one that I was arguing against earlier.

But then you say Hutton trade and he is in the chart. And you can't keep a Gudbranson around in a role like that with his contract, so Benning would have to be better than he has shown to date to get these guys signed for reasonable deals (Edler/Myers), and to remove the contracts/roster spots like Gudbranson/Pouliot while still finding us some depth. Probably not going to happen but might be an interesting attempt at a top 6. If Myers could not play with Edler and do that job, Tanev and he could switch and potentially Myers could help bring Hughes along slowly. I just don't see the GM work being done to make it happen, but who knows.... Blind squirrel and all...

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
Well according to some Benning Bro's, the Canucks were starting the rebuild 18 months ago, so there's no excuse for them not to have traded him back then. They didn't (because this isn't a rebuild). Beyond that, management should have been working on convincing Edler to waive his NTC this year since day 1 of the season. But again, we're not in a rebuild so they're more focused on re-signing him than anything. Benning hasn't been able to bring in any quality pro level defensemen in his 5 seasons here, and since he's entering a contract year next season he knows he has to start winning so he clearly has no willingness to build towards any future.

The fact that some people think Benning has done a good job here, deserves to still be GM, and that this team is trending up makes me think I should be in the bridge selling business.
If the player doesn't want to leave and has a NTC, how are you going to "convince" him that he should....(particularly when the team is currently in the mix for a wildcard spot)?

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Been pointed out already but "What should be done?" and this options listed in the poll are entirely contingent on Alex Edler waiving so entertaining any of this looks a lot like wishful thinking.

Should the team be fortunate enough for him to waive and trade him for a first - fantastic.
Should we then be lucky enough to get him back in the summer for a 2-3 year deal - fantastic.

But both of those are just luck at this point because he can clearly stay put. He earned it when he negotiated his deal so he's got every right to stay here. If he does go though, he's a dude of a defenseman and I'd love to have him back.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If the player doesn't want to leave and has a NTC, how are you going to "convince" him that he should....(particularly when the team is currently in the mix for a wildcard spot)?

What did they do to Hamhuis again? Garrison?

Further, no player with an NTC has ever waived it to be traded. Fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
What did they do to Hamhuis again? Garrison.

Further, no player with an NTC has ever waived it to be traded. Fact.

To be fair this is a bit different. With Hamhuis we still had Edler as the "vet" for all the incoming Benning pieces so we weren't looking to sign him. Now it's clear to everyone that without Edler this team is f***ed. Our #2 LD is Hutton, a guy the majority of the fanbase wanted dumped for anything they could get last year.

I would try to communicate to Edler and his agent that if he accepts a trade he'll get a bump in his contract, but honestly thinking about it Edler has us. We're under no "obligation" to sign him and could tell him to take a hike if he doesn't accept a trade, given how bad he wants to be here, but in reality we cannot afford to lose him.

We got rid of Garrison because we told him we didn't want him anymore, but whether management admits it or not they need Edler. If Edler says no to a trade, realistically what will management do? NTCs actually do matter when a management is so inept they can't afford to lose that player as a UFA.

I wonder how embarrassing it will be if we don't sign Edler after not trading him and next year we have Hutton/Hughes(who may or may not be ready)/Juolevi/Pouliot as our LD

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
To be fair this is a bit different. With Hamhuis we still had Edler as the "vet" for all the incoming Benning pieces so we weren't looking to sign him. Now it's clear to everyone that without Edler this team is ****ed. Our #2 LD is Hutton, a guy the majority of the fanbase wanted dumped for anything they could get last year.

I would try to communicate to Edler and his agent that if he accepts a trade he'll get a bump in his contract, but honestly thinking about it Edler has us. We're under no "obligation" to sign him and could tell him to take a hike if he doesn't accept a trade, given how bad he wants to be here, but in reality we cannot afford to lose him.

We got rid of Garrison because we told him we didn't want him anymore, but whether management admits it or not they need Edler.

I wonder how embarrassing it will be if we don't sign Edler after not trading him and next year we have Hutton/Hughes(who may or may not be ready)/Juolevi/Pouliot as our LD

This is not about management's incompetence forcing them to re-sign a decent-good player. This is about the GM's ability to push someone out of the organization if he wants to, and what is in the player's best interest to do at that point.

Benning wanted Hamhuis out, even though Hamhuis wanted to stay. Hamhuis had an NTC and it was waived. Benning then botched the deadline.

Benning wanted Garrison out, even though Garrison wanted to stay. Garrison had an NTC and it was waived. Benning botched the sequence of the first deal to STL, and then Garrison was eventually traded to TBay.

Disgruntled players waive NTCs. Even this low-level manager has gotten 2 players to do exactly this in the past. Two hometown players no less!

Edler is not a special snowflake. I have no doubt in my mind that a competent GM could get him to waive. Benning? Probably not. That's what I think of Benning's ability to get things done.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Sounds to me we will lock Edler up but open to trading Tanev.

In a perfect world we'd trade Edler and resign him after the season but sounds like that isn't going to happen.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I doubt they will trade Tanev . Looks like it is going to be a boring Trade Deadline
Honestly don't have a problem with that if they can move on from Sutter and Gudbranson. Then at least the base to start next season is better, plus the ~$8.5m cap that moving those guys for futures would provide.

That said, not holding my breath on Benning being willing to move them.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
He's going to block any trade attempt, so any discussion about that is pointless.

My bet is that we ink him to a 2-3 year front end loaded deal come the off season. Since he doesn't want to move, the Canucks have a bit of a bargaining chip to sign him for less... but he gets another NMC.

I'm okay with him sticking around as a veteran presence on our D until he gets too old and slow to play; which should be in about 3 years.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
The only question remaining is how freaking awful the Edler contract will end up. Are we doomed to 4+ years at $7M+ AAV?

Honestly all Edlers agent should have to do is point out how much Benning has given in money and term to inferior players. That alone makes me question how they can expect to sign him at a reasonable Avg and Term.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Honestly all Edlers agent should have to do is point out how much Benning has given in money and term to inferior players. That alone makes me question how they can expect to sign him at a reasonable Avg and Term.

They can't. The only rationale I've seen for Edler signing some sweetheart deal is how much he loves the city. That assumes a couple things I think are unlikely: a) Edler is willing to forfeit in excess of $6M in career earnings to stay in Vancouver; b) Our management team has the capability to leverage a bargaining position versus just opening the cheque book and giving Edler pretty much exactly what he demands in salary and term.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
He’s already made it clear he wants to play in van.... Really not a wild concept

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I'm more than ok with Edler and Tanev sticking around. They form a good foundation for our young D prospects to study under. My hopeful TDL targets are, as others have stated, Gudbranson and Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad