Player Discussion Alexander Edler | Pending free agent, possible TDL commodity. What should be done?

What should be done with Alexander Edler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Simple....Eddy we will give you 3 year deal if you waive your NTC clause and get us an asset. No? Ok, well we aren't signing you so get packing either way.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Simple....Eddy we will give you 3 year deal if you waive your NTC clause and get us an asset. No? Ok, well we aren't signing you so get packing either way.
Sounds good Jim, enjoy committing 7 years and $7m+ to Myers and losing me for free....I'll probably give Tampa or Pittsburgh the discount I'd have given you guys....if I win the Cup, I'll bring it to Van.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Sounds good Jim, enjoy committing 7 years and $7m+ to Myers and losing me for free....I'll probably give Tampa or Pittsburgh the discount I'd have given you guys....if I win the Cup, I'll bring it to Van.

You honestly think that's what Jim would do is strong arm Edler? He will offer Edler another 4 -5 year BS term. I have no issue with Edler, however, forcing him into our lineup over $5 million at 4 years is going to be a problem.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Do you have the exact quote on this? "Move on" doesn't necessarily mean "go to another team". There's a good chance it means he'd retire.

I don't have one handy, but I know it was being mentioned a lot in the media a short while ago.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You honestly think that's what Jim would do is strong arm Edler? He will offer Edler another 4 -5 year BS term. I have no issue with Edler, however, forcing him into our lineup over $5 million at 4 years is going to be a problem.
Maybe I just jumped into the convo late....your post made it seem like Jim was saying waive the clause or you don't get an offer from us even in July. Edler's agent would laugh in their face.

Jim won't even pretend they don't want him, they know they need him, Edler's camp knows they need him.

I can't vote in the polls for some reason, but I'd never go into the 4 year range....I can't even view the results of the poll...what option is winning?

member 290103

He won’t do that though. His number 1 objective is to stay. He’s like Hamhuis. If they want him back he will resign if the contract is reasonable.

Even if he doesn’t resign...who cares? He will rapidly deteriorate over the next two years anyway.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He won’t do that though. His number 1 objective is to stay. He’s like Hamhuis. If they want him back he will resign if the contract is reasonable.

Even if he doesn’t resign...who cares? He will rapidly deteriorate over the next two years anyway.
Because Edler even at that deteriorated rate is better than anybody Elmer has acquired. That's ok, Demko is used to playing in front of a **** blueline.

member 290103

Because Edler even at that deteriorated rate is better than anybody Elmer has acquired. That's ok, Demko is used to playing in front of a **** blueline.

I’d rather trade Edler, acquire young assets and attempt to resign him rather than keeping him in case he doesn’t resign..

This team sucks with or without Edler.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’d rather trade Edler, acquire young assets and attempt to resign him rather than keeping him in case he doesn’t resign..

This team sucks with or without Edler.
You're forgetting who the GM is. I hope I'm wrong but I ain't holding my breath on us getting anything more than the value of a 2nd round pick if he's dealt.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
First, I’m glad you understand that players can be forced out. This is the main thrust of my argument. Now that this is out of the way, we can move onto the other part of the argument which is: The viability of moving Edler from this D corps.

Should they move him? Probably not. While it’s not a good idea to sign a 33 year old to a long-term deal, Benning is so inept at building the defense outside of Edler that Edler bimself becomes irreplaceable. The same is true of Tanev.

Then again, I would argue that under good management even Edler would not have been a need, like your examples of Hamhuis and Garrison. So while I understand that it is not viable for this management team to let Edler walk, I reject the paradigm by which this decision was made. Edler isn’t critical in isolation, he’s critical with Benning as GM.

Oh OK we're on the same page then.

Yeah this same discussion has been going on for a while, and it's quite bizarre. NTCs screwed the team so we couldn't trade anyone! *trades several players with NTCs including ones who didn't even want to leave*.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Chicago is not Vancouver. We have no idea if Keith likes living there, but his contract is horrible.

Edler likes VCR. Assuming he plans to continue playing hockey, as I have previously stated, give him his choice of no NTC, a NTC and a NMC. Put a big number on the protection. Like close to a million for each.

He has been our best D man this year, and for pretty much for the last decade. We will not be able to replace him for less than we are paying him. Personally I want to sign him for 2 years @ $4M (+/-) and give him a NMC.

I suspect if all he cares about is money, he can sign with someone for $ 6 - 6.5 M for 5 years.

But at some point you stop caring only about money. I quit working when I was 53. Cost me lots of money, but screw it, life is good.

Chicago is a better city than Vancouver lol. Edler has his future open to him and it's not like he went to management early to sign an extension... he's using that leverage to at least some extent. Keith has actually agreed to a contract and will now be asked to be moved despite signing an agreement (at a discount relative to his value at the time) to keep him in Chicago for the rest of his career.

He is by a mile their best defenseman, and as the top-100 comments alluded to, has been a HHOFer for the entirety of the last decade, leading to 3 Cup Championships. If the Blackhawks can move that player instead of just honouring him and handing him a legacy contract for organizational purposes, then so can the Canucks with Alex Edler. And Keith is 35!! Literally nobody would fault them if they just let him run out his contract on his terms, but they're actually proactively trying to rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad