Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Wall has a very good opportunity with the Rangers. He can split games with Huska in Hartford just down the road from where he’s played his college hockey. There will be a back up spot in the nhl avail soon. And gets to work with allaire. No brainer for him

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
who cares...they would have an even split next year, in a year or 2 when one emerges as the legit #1 we can trade the other then if needed...the options aren't limited to trading georgiev or having them split time forever

That's all fine and good conceptually. I just see a lot of people thinking this is the long term solution. two good young goalies? keep em both. It's not that simple.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That's all fine and good conceptually. I just see a lot of people thinking this is the long term solution. two good young goalies? keep em both. It's not that simple.

I’m sure everyone here is smart enough to know that all good young players eventually become good veterans that need to be paid Real money and that’s when decisions need to be made

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves thinking about this being a potential issue down the road...right now its more about not putting all your eggs in the igor basket after only 3 games. if you get a great return thats a different story, but if you are just unloading one cause there is no room i'd rather have a bigger sample size to know we are keeping the better one.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’m sure everyone here is smart enough to know that all good young players eventually become good veterans that need to be paid Real money and that’s when decisions need to be made

by saying that you have proven that statement to be false cause you apparently aren't that smart to think that LOL

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If you’re sticking to a long term plan and ignoring the accelerated rebuild that you started by bringing in Trouba and Panarin here’s what you do.

you trade the pending ufas. Kreider Fast McKegg

you trade Georgiev (and in the process make room for Wall and Huska to be in the fight for a back up job in 2021-2022)

you let Staal smith and Lundqvist play their final years next season maybe even get something at the deadline maybe not. Make some decisions on what you have with Buchnevich and Strome

you spend another season pushing for the playoffs hoping kids take the next steps.

then you are geared up for 2021-22 a year and a half from now. Maybe you add in free agency that summer maybe you pull off a trade for someone going into UFA. Maybe everyone takes off and you have to pay them all.

I’m not saying I agree with that all but that’s the slow walk to 2021-2022

JD said be patient so that scenario is possible. I’m ok with it and could see the Rangers taking a step back with another influx of kids looking to develop. The backlash however will be the aging vets not contributing and obstructing the kids from more development time,

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think the odds of Wall signing are better than not.

There's going to be an immediate opening in Hartford next season, and the track record of UFA college goalies going out and landing great gigs is not very well-established.

You also have to figure that a lot goalies break in when they are a little older, and typically after a stint in the AHL, so there's not quite the same "fast track" to the NHL that there is for skaters. So there's not as much of allure of being able to step right in.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I have to say Georgiev's fundamentals look very good. I know, I'm a huge Hank fan and I don't like this internal mess, but now it's about Georgiev and I have a soft spot for the goaltending position.

He's very solid positionally and is of the "making difficult saves look easy" kind of goalie. He doesn't seem rattled and that he manages to look so calm, playing behind this mess, is impressive. He can definitely become a consistent elite starter and that he has had both Allaire and Hank as teachers and mentors promises very well.

He doesn't do things flashy, he does the bare minimum required to the effort. That also means he's very technical. NYR shouldn't trade Georgiev, they should force Hank to leave. And I say that as a Hank fan. It's for Hank's own best, he still has a time frame to do impressive things on better teams.

It's already pretty obvious the NYR management is trying to force Hank to leave as well. I can't blame them, but in context it's still sad this is how that era ended.

Last edited:

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Georgie similarly to Hank needs to play consistently to get into a rhythm and stay sharp. With Igor here there's no way that'll ever be possible unless there's an injury.

Cut bait with him and let him try to latch onto a 1/1A type situation elsewhere. Keith can't do any worse than Georgie and he's a fraction of the cost.

LoveGoons

Mar 3, 2021
If our defense keeps allowing goalies to get runned, then better have two nhl goalies.

LeprechauninBlue

Nov 8, 2021
The amount of hate this guy is getting is ridiculous. I guess we are just use to pure elite insane goalie perfomances. The next backup will have a hard task to please our crowd, needs to be nominated for Vezina or something :laugh:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The amount of hate this guy is getting is ridiculous. I guess we are just use to pure elite insane goalie perfomances. The next backup will have a hard task to please our crowd, needs to be nominated for Vezina or something :laugh:
Too many softies and too many breakaway goals frustrate the fanbase. He's made some big saves even in his stinkers and stopped that breakaway in OT against NJ but needs to clean up his technique. It's tough to do that as the backup though.

Shesty has given up his fair share of softies too especially recently, but he also makes impossible saves to make up for them even when he's not playing his best. He's almost never out of the play due to his insane athleticism.

Reactions: LeprechauninBlue

LeprechauninBlue

Nov 8, 2021
Too many softies and too many breakaway goals frustrate the fanbase. He's made some big saves even in his stinkers and stopped that breakaway in OT against NJ but needs to clean up his technique. It's tough to do that as the backup though.

Shesty has given up his fair share of softies too especially recently, but he also makes impossible saves to make up for them even when he's not playing his best. He's almost never out of the play due to his insane athleticism.

Good take. Its strange cause he has shown good technique before but I think its alot about confidence. I have no doubt he will do good at a new team.

Reactions: romba

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
iu

iu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad