Prospect Info: Alex Tuch (RW) - 18th Overall, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Russo:
Flahr said the #mnwild got several opportunities to move down, some real late, but this is the kid they targeted.
Tuch was stunned #mnwild took him, said they hid in the shadows. Wild don't interview players draft week bc of, well, the media stalking em

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Some folks who have actually seen him play seem quite excited by his potential.

He can skate, shoot, and is big. Coyle, Niederreiter, Lucia, now Tuch. That is a nice stable of sizeable talented wingers.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Yup your right. Leddy, Granlund, Brodin, Phillips, and Dumba are all big bodied two way forwards.

Well said, with all the Suter's, Brodin's, Oloffson's not hitting but smart defenseman we need somebody who will hit bodies and crash the net.

Granlund, Haula, Fontaine, Pominville guys with skill, like adding size along with skill in Coyle, Nino, not Tuch to that list.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Not the guy that I wanted, but GMCF has good track record, so I trust him.

I was sure that Alex was Jarmo's pick (GM of CBJ). He likes his players big. And mean :yo:

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
He's got hands, a quality shot, knows how to get to the net, and of course his frame and work ethic makes him a horse on the wall. Best of all he most certainly isn't a slug on his feet. Don't know what's not to like. Given his character, drive, and game; he's got a real chance to be a player in this league. And it was pretty clear he was going to be the Wild's pick given what he's shown to this point, IMO.

If he, Coyle, and Nino can all pot 20-30 goals in their prime to go along with their entire games, that is some serious value.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
would love it if we could get him to develop into a lucic type of role with maybe haula by then being a kreicje type with either nino lucia or possiably coyle on the other side.:yo:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Yeah I get it. I just don't like safe picks for a team that's fairly well stacked. It's going to take a really special player to crack the lineup with players like Parise, Koivu, Granlund, Nino, Pominville, maybe Vanek. So a bottom sixer with a first rounder isn't that sexy.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Power forwards are in demand in the western conference if you want to compete with the Kings. Do the Wild have a legit power forward? Coyle doesn't really pass for one yet because I'm not sold as him being a top 6 forward.

I think scouting and hype is important and Tuch was projected between 10-20. I'm happy I was quite familiar with him and I think there's the possibility of a home run. I thought he would go a little earlier.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo said:
Michael Russo @Russostrib · 7m

Flahr said the #mnwild got several opportunities to move down, some real late, but this is the kid they targeted.
If they wanted him that bad... I'm glad they stood by their convictions and took him... even if I wanted someone else instead.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Some folks who have actually seen him play seem quite excited by his potential.

He can skate, shoot, and is big. Coyle, Niederreiter, Lucia, now Tuch. That is a nice stable of sizeable talented wingers.
Don't confuse indifference to the choice as people expecting him to fail.

I think it's more that people wanted something brought into the system that the team is LACKING both in the system and on the team.... dynamic offensive ability. We have Granlund and... well... Granlund.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Yeah I get it. I just don't like safe picks for a team that's fairly well stacked. It's going to take a really special player to crack the lineup with players like Parise, Koivu, Granlund, Nino, Pominville, maybe Vanek. So a bottom sixer with a first rounder isn't that sexy.

I get this isn't a sexy pick but the scouting report indicates good hockey sense with above average hands and shot. Way to early to fear Gillies/Sheppard 2.0.....

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not sure if the Wild really targeted him, or if their more skilled options were off the table, but I am looking at him as insurance for when Coyle and Nino are going to be free agents and in their prime. The team might not be able to keep both of them 4-5 years down the road.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Tuch a bottom sixer at this point. He should end up in the top 6 in his prime, and by the time he gets there, not all of those players you listed will be around.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis

Tuck isn't projected as a bottom six forward I understand that maybe his floor but his skill set, size and skating is projected higher.... in 2-5 yrs. By that time one of Nino or Coyle could be gone as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

So he's a bottom sixer already?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I get this isn't a sexy pick but the scouting report indicates good hockey sense with above average hands and shot. Way to early to fear Gillies/Sheppard 2.0.....

I haven't seen anything about his puck skills. I keep reading great height, great weight, great size, great strength, great ability to protect the puck, win board battles, cycle, and then good touch around the net. Nothing much about his vision or puck handling or creativity. Which is fine, I guess.

Not saying it's a bad pick, I don't know anything about the draft. And I guess it's better than drafting another Zack Phillips. Would just rather try and draft more poor-man's Patrick Kanes than poor man's Milan Lucic's.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Don't confuse indifference to the choice as people expecting him to fail.

I think it's more that people wanted something brought into the system that the team is LACKING both in the system and on the team.... dynamic offensive ability. We have Granlund and... well... Granlund.

Haula I'd say is pretty dynamic. Koivu is a big guy who plays a more passive and passing game. Granlund's not alone.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Thank you Jarick and Talon for describing how some of us feel. Minnesota hasn't shown a great track record of developing offense. Getting a guy like Kapanen or Fabbri would have offered something different to the wild. It feels like the Bjorkstrand over Gabriel pick last year.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
I haven't seen anything about his puck skills. I keep reading great height, great weight, great size, great strength, great ability to protect the puck, win board battles, cycle, and then good touch around the net. Nothing much about his vision or puck handling or creativity. Which is fine, I guess.

Not saying it's a bad pick, I don't know anything about the draft. And I guess it's better than drafting another Zack Phillips. Would just rather try and draft more poor-man's Patrick Kanes than poor man's Milan Lucic's.

Some links found just by googling him.

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2014-n.../2014-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-27-alex-tuch

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=178526

The issue with drafting a poor man's patrick kane is that they carry more risk than a poor mans lucic. I do wish the wild would take more risks to inject some skill into this organization though.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Haula I'd say is pretty dynamic. Koivu is a big guy who plays a more passive and passing game. Granlund's not alone.
Dynamic = Kane, Crosby, Datsyuk etc.

Haula does not create in that nature. Haula creates via hard work and speed... he's a very blue-collar type player, not dynamic.

Granlund is the ONLY player on this team that sees the game and has the puck handling skills to play in a dynamic way.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Thank you Jarick and Talon for describing how some of us feel. Minnesota hasn't shown a great track record of developing offense. Getting a guy like Kapanen or Fabbri would have offered something different to the wild. It feels like the Bjorkstrand over Gabriel pick last year.

But then you would be complaining about taking another undersized guy that is easy to push around, no?

Obviously everybody would love a guy who is 6'5" and can put in 40 goals but those guys just don't grow on trees and never drop to #18.

A 6'3" guy who could potentially pot 25-30, however, might be the next best thing.

I do agree, however, that Fabbri would have brought something different in an interesting way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad