Birthyear: 1996-05-10
    Birthplace: Baldwinsville, NY, USA
    Nation: USA
    Position: C/RW
    Shoots: R
    Height: 191 cm / 6'3"
    Weight: 98 kg / 216 lbs
  • NHL.com/Wild.com Feature on Alex tuch
    Right wing Alex Tuch of the United States National Team Development Program Under-18 team was in high demand at the 2014 NHL Scouting Combine.

Tuch is the top-rated American-born skater on NHL Central Scouting's final list of the top North American skaters for the 2014 NHL Draft, and No. 12 among all skaters.

The 6-foot-3, 213-pound right-handed shot had interviews with all 30 NHL teams at the Combine. He comes off a season that saw him round out his game over the second half.

"He's always been a big body and has skated well, but I think he's just starting to realize how big and strong he is," USNTDP U-18 coach Danton Cole said. "He imposes his will on the game sometimes, and that's a good compliment. If he makes it to the second round of the draft, a lot of [NHL] people made a mistake because I feel Alex is a legit first-round candidate."

Tuch is a prototypical power-forward. He skates surprisingly well for a big man and had 29 goals, 64 points and 70 penalty minutes in 61 games. He finished tied for second with eight power-play goals and was tied for first with seven game-winners.
  • Russo blog on Alex Tuch selection
    The Wild took Alex Tuch, a 6-4 right winger who played for the U.S. national development team, with the 18th pick in tonight’s NHL Draft in Philadelphia.

Tuch has committed to Boston College, which is expected to again be a college powerhouse next season.

The Wild had Tuch in for a couple of interviews, and was known to be very high on him. His advisor, Steve Bartlett, is also Thomas Vanek’s agent. Ahem.

"He's a big, strong winger with quality hands and an NHL shot," assistant GM Brent Flahr said in a text. "We feel that he has tremendous upside and we are very excited to add a potential power forward to our group of prospects."
    FAVORITES

NHL team: Buffalo Sabres
    Shootout move: “Forehand, kick it off the skate, forehand, backhand, shot”
    Goal celebration: “Fist pump on one knee”
    Video game: NHL 14
    Movie: Anchorman
    TV show: Breaking Bad
    Actor: Will Ferrell
    Most played song: ‘City of Dreams’ by Alesso and Dirty South
    Sport (other than hockey): Lacrosse
    Athlete (non-hockey): LeBron James
10410505_10154287748270223_4358038249171514644_n.jpg
  • Hockeydb.com Player Profile
  • The Hockey Writers Player Profile
    Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Alex Tuch:

Mr. Big - The first you notice about Alex Tuch is his size – he’s a powerhouse at 6’3, 215 lb.

Power forward – Alex is starting to ramp up his physicality to make use of his god-given size. He is already a strong forechecker and uses his strength and good balance to protect the puck well.

Skills – More than decent skills for such a big guy – a good goal scorer with soft hands around the net, a hard shot, skating which is very good with a heavy stride. Top that with good vision and you are starting to see why so many teams really like this guy.

Draft placement – With the dearth of Mr. Big’s in this draft, Alex is only likely to go up.

BrLdjTKCEAAkJ_j.jpg

• Brent Flahr:
    #mnwild asst GM Brent Flahr on Tuch: He's a big strong winger with quality hands and an NHL shot. We feel that he has tremendous upside...
    Flahr: ...and we are very excited to add a potential power forward to our group of prospects. #mnwild

BrLeQcPIIAAiGZN.jpg

Last edited:

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
Couldn't believe Kapanen was there and we didn't pick him. We'll see how Tuch does at BC, but damn, I was excited for Kapanen.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
right because he didn't put up godly numbers means he lacks offensive skill.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Don't hate the pick, as I think he'll be a good player... just was hoping for more dynamic skill since there was some skill available.

I don't hate the pick, I don't love the pick... it will turn out well, but I think other options could have helped a bit more, such as Pastrnak.

Oh well... Go Tuch!

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Don't hate the pick, as I think he'll be a good player... just was hoping for more dynamic skill since there was some skill available.

I don't hate the pick, I don't love the pick... it will turn out well, but I think other options could have helped a bit more, such as Pastrnak.

Oh well... Go Tuch!

I'm along the same lines with you, but at the same time, while not the player I wanted, I'm still in love with the pick. Tuch gives an impressive combination of size, skill, and mobility.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
right because he didn't put up godly numbers means he lacks offensive skill.

Coyle has size and skill but he hasn't made the best of them yet. This pick is redundant of what we have in the system and what we have on the ice. I'll reserve further judgement but he seems very redundant of what we have and we haven't even developed them properly.

For all I know, Fletcher is going to trade Coyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad