Trade: Alex Smith to Washington for 3rd round pick + Kendall Fuller (And signs 4-year extension)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Many guys have better resumes and many guys have more potential than both Cousins & Smith. I think people still think of Cousins being younger than he is - the guy will be 30 when next season starts.

For me, a list of top QB's is essentially who I would want as my starting QB for the next season. I would rather have Ryan or Newton, and it's not really close. Smith and Cousins are pretty close, but neither would fall in my top ten.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Last 3 years:

Cousins-81 TD's 36 picks 13,176 yds 67% 7.8 YPA

Ryan 79 TD's 35 picks 13,630 yds 67% 8.1 YPA

Newton 76 TD's 40 picks 10,648 yds 57% 7.1%

Exactly. There is an argument to be made that he's equal to them. I'm not trying to discount eithers MVP season but the fact is he's comparable despite playing on a weaker team. Cousins' teams haven't had the same success as Atlanta or Carolina thus he does not get as much recognition.

Ryan has thrown for 30 TD's twice in 10 seasons so I think Kirk has some time to match that or do better. He's only got three full seasons as a starter.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
If you give Cam weapons like DJax, Garcon, Crowder and Jordan Reed and offensive coaches like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay, he'd set records. Kirk Cousins has lived a charmed QB life up to this point.

Reactions: What the Faulk

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Many guys have better resumes and many guys have more potential than both Cousins & Smith. I think people still think of Cousins being younger than he is - the guy will be 30 when next season starts.

For me, a list of top QB's is essentially who I would want as my starting QB for the next season. I would rather have Ryan or Newton, and it's not really close. Smith and Cousins are pretty close, but neither would fall in my top ten.

This.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If you give Cam weapons like DJax, Garcon, Crowder and Jordan Reed and offensive coaches like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay, he'd set records. Kirk Cousins has lived a charmed QB life up to this point.

Cam had three years with Steve Smith, better than anyone the Redskins had. Cam has had his whole CAREER with Greg Olsen, ALSO better than anyone the Redskins had. He also had pre-fat Kelvin Benjamin, who had more receiving yards in a year than anyone Cousins had, (except one year of Garcon)

Let's slow the roll on "Cam does it with no help".

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
QB's I would rather than Kirk Cousins

Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Russell Wilson
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton
Phillip Rivers
Matt Stafford
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Andrew Luck*
Derek Carr
(Kirk Cousins.. for now)
arguably Marcus Mariota
arguably DeShawn Watson
arguably Jimmy Garapolo

I would put him right at about 15 or so, which seems very fair and appropriate tbh. Mariota, Watson, and Garapolo I'm a little unsure of and at face value Cousins is obv better right now, but given their age and upside, it's tough tbh.

Would rather have Cousins than Smith, tho.

Cousins is right smackdab in the that middle of the deck range

Ryan has thrown for 30 TD's twice in 10 seasons so I think Kirk has some time to match that or do better. He's only got three full seasons as a starter.
Cousins has to do it once before he can do it twice lel
Maybe Year 7 is the year?

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Cam had three years with Steve Smith, better than anyone the Redskins had. Cam has had his whole CAREER with Greg Olsen, ALSO better than anyone the Redskins had. He also had pre-fat Kelvin Benjamin, who had more receiving yards in a year than anyone Cousins had, (except one year of Garcon)

Let's slow the roll on "Cam does it with no help".

Kelvin Benjamin was never that good. When teams realized he wasn't really going to beat them down the field or in a fight for the ball, he became easily defended. Olsen and Reed are comparable, but Reed is always hurt. Steve Smith is a hall of famer, but Cam didn't even have him for half of his career. Beyond those three, you're talking about guys like Brandon Lafell and Ted Ginn and Devin Funchess as the best that he's had. Beyond them, we're talking about guys like Jerricho Cotchery and Philly Brown playing prominent roles. With usually a below average offensive line and an elderly Jonathan Stewart who'd be lucky to give you 13 games a year. EDIT: Also LOL Mike Shula

Anyone evaluating Cam without mentioning his running ability should be flat out ignored, anyway (well, BWC for other reasons too). That's another 615 yards and 6-8+ TDs per year to his numbers.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Cousins is a top 10 QB in NFL

I would ask you to name 10 better then him
I think Kirk Cousins is a franchise guy and a good leader. I like him as a player.
But these are the Qbs I would probably take over Cousins in no particular order.

Even If we eliminated Trubisky, Watson, Jimmy G, & even Dak IMO Kirk falls just short of the top 10. I believe Jimmy, Trubisky, Watson and possibly Dak have higher ceilings.

Not looking to get into a pissing match. Just my honest opinion.
If this was near future Kirk is probably top ten.

Brady
Russel Wilson
Big Ben(if age is a consideration I'll take Kirk)
Matt Ryan(this is pretty close and may take Kirk)
Brees (Same as Big Ben)
Stafford
Wentz
Carr
Luck
Rodgers
Cam Newton
Phil Rivers
----------------
Dak Prescott(this is also close but I think Kirk is better now)
Jimmy G (higher ceiling then Kirk)
D. Watson(slightly higher ceiling than Kirk)
Trubisky (slightly higher ceiling)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cousins makes too many bad decisions in the red zone for my liking. He has more arm talent than Smith, but he makes more bad decisions. I recall that play before halftime a couple of seasons ago against Philly when Cousins took a knee rather than spiking the ball to stop the clock and the half ran out. One thing for a RB/WR to make that bad decision to either stay inbounds or get out, but this is your QB. He has to be the smartest and most aware player on the field.

For me, while his overall stats my be better than some, it comes down to trust. I trust Matt Ryan more than Cousins for example. And we'll see in the next 2 seasons if any of Goff/Jimmy G/Winston/Mariotta/ etc. rise to compare where Cousins is at.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Interesting thread to read back on with the struggles of Cousins. Smith didn't do great this year either, though with much less talent around him.

For those who considered Cousins a top QB, that's looking pretty questionable right now.

Sep 19, 2008
On Redskins reddit many people are bitter about smith but they also mock Cousins too. So they don't want either or what?

Smith did things that Cousins couldn't do here, mainly keep control of the damn football and not turn it over.

Cousins is doing the same thing he did in Washington. Untimely picks and interceptions. I saw him like fumble that football and the Seahawks picked it up and bam, 21-0. It was ALL on him. :laugh:

Reactions: Voight

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
On Redskins reddit many people are bitter about smith but they also mock Cousins too. So they don't want either or what?

Smith did things that Cousins couldn't do here, mainly keep control of the damn football and not turn it over.

Cousins is doing the same thing he did in Washington. Untimely picks and interceptions. I saw him like fumble that football and the Seahawks picked it up and bam, 21-0. It was ALL on him. :laugh:

Redskins are stuck with smith's deal. They either have to sign a cheap FA or draft someone

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Smith's cap hit is considerably less than Cousins, and the two teams were performing more for less the same (pre injury) despite MIN having a better all around team. Maybe theres a reason why they never wanted to give Cousins a massive deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad