Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
With the 10% cushion they could afford to give Petro 10m per. I don't think he'll get that much so they actually do have room to sign him right now without making a move first.

Even if they were able to sign him under the 10% (which they currently can't, they still need to drop some according to what has been reportedly offered) Do you want to be the team sitting 8 mil over the cap with every other team in the league knowing you have to drop cap quickly to be in compliance? Hell, even this free agency season we are seeing teams that actually have cap space less reluctant to take on other teams' cap because of the revenue uncertainty. That's a sure fire way to get yourself fired if you're a gm, imo.

Reactions: robertocarlos

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Even if they were able to sign him under the 10% (which they currently can't, they still need to drop some according to what has been reportedly offered) Do you want to be the team sitting 8 mil over the cap with every other team in the league knowing you have to drop cap quickly to be in compliance? Hell, even this free agency season we are seeing teams that actually have cap space less reluctant to take on other teams' cap because of the revenue uncertainty. That's a sure fire way to get yourself fired if you're a gm, imo.

They currently can sign him under the 10% cushion. They're at 79m. The 10% cushion would allow them to go to 89m. There is no way they are trading Schmidt before Petro is a done deal. It would literally be career suicide for Kelly Mcrimmon to trade his only top pair D and then not have anything to show for it.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I think the most he can sign for in Vegas is $6.7 million and then Vegas is at 10% over cap. Not good. So Vegas needs to clear cap but they are having a hard time for various reasons. There's probably a lack of trust and the possibility of changes of heart.
If Vegas goes over the cap by 10% the vultures will rip them to shreds.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
They currently can sign him under the 10% cushion. They're at 79m. The 10% cushion would allow them to go to 89m. There is no way they are trading Schmidt before Petro is a done deal. It would literally be career suicide for Kelly Mcrimmon to trade his only top pair D and then not have anything to show for it.

I made the mistake of looking at STL cap being over.
You are right the Vegas GK can sign him now but them Vegas is still in troubles.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

I think the most he can sign for in Vegas is $6.7 million and then Vegas is at 10% over cap. Not good. So Vegas needs to clear cap but they are having a hard time for various reasons. There's probably a lack of trust and the possibility of changes of heart.
If Vegas goes over the cap by 10% the vultures will rip them to shreds.
The 6.7M would explain why there is a holdup but CapFriendly indicates they have quite a bit more than 6.7M if you account for the 10% so I'm not sure which is right.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. No wonder a deal isn't done yet.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’ve read that teams have to cover ALL their contracts in the offseason by that 10% number, not just a 23 man roster. I think this is the distinction, and the reason Pietro maybe cant sign the offer until after the trade. It’s pretty obvious from the responses I’ve received, people here are confused by how this works too.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I’ve read that teams have to cover ALL their contracts in the offseason by that 10% number, not just a 23 man roster. I think this is the distinction, and the reason Pietro maybe cant sign the offer until after the trade. It’s pretty obvious from the responses I’ve received, people here are confused by how this works too.

Yes that’s my understanding too, you can’t just pick and choose which contracts when talking the overage.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Ahhhhhhh there's the kicker.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

There's no way that it could be ALL players as everyone outside of Ottawa would already be over the cushion.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
In the offseason, there is no Active Roster or 23-man limit, so the CBA defines a system of cap hits that count towards the cap. Those are: All players on one-way contracts, regardless of where they have played the prior season; all players on two-way contracts, prorated by the number of days in the NHL, the qualifying offers given to all RFAs, prorated or not depending on one-way or two-way status; and then all the rest of the things like retained salary. That total has to be below next season’s cap ceiling plus a 10% cushion.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It's all how it is phrased though. By presenting it in a "we are doing this for you" way, you make a pretty solid case. Next year the Blues will have a good amount of money drop off the books, the expansion draft is going to make it possible to clear more (ex Faulk), and if you still don't like the offer we make you, the FA market should be significantly better then it is currently. You can use Taylor Hall as an example. Not saying I'm in the mind of Armstrong, but that would be how I pitch it. What do you have to lose?
Supposedly (according to some fans) Pat Maroon did exactly this: take a 1-year, $1.75M deal with the Blues that was below market value, but helped them with the cap with the promise that he'd get an extension that would make up for it. A year later, despite being a key role player on that Cup run with a 2OT goal in Game 7 vs. Dallas that will live forever in the memories of Blues fans, he played on a $900K contract in Tampa. (Where he won the Cup again, so ... he's probably not terribly upset about how that went.)

Not to mention, that "good amount of money drop[ping] off the books" is going to get plowed back into several of those same players and potentially used on younger players who now need more expensive contracts that what they currently have. It's really easy to picture AP getting promises of more money a couple years out, then watch teammates get extended again before him and then get told "oops, sorry - not much money left. Oh, and you're 2 years older now and starting on the downward slide of your career, no way in hell we're giving you $8M per much less more than that to make up for the great bargain you gave us. If you don't like it, go f*** off."

The point being: any verbal promise is like a clean baby diaper in a room of a dozen toddlers. It can be shit on at any time.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Now that we know the rules maybe the poster who claimed that Vegas can only offer $6.7 million knows what he is talking about and that is a chicken egg problem as Vegas can't sign AP until Schmidt is traded and Schmidt can't be traded until AP is signed. Or it's catch 22.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
I don't get why Vegas should be scared of trading Schmidt if AP really wants to sign a deal. VGK and AP just sign a binding prelim contract that is conditional to VGK trading Schmidt or whoever. As soon as the conditions are met, the parties are obligated to advance into signing the actual contract.

Or is there something in the CBA that prohibits such contract structures?

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
Supposedly (according to some fans) Pat Maroon did exactly this: take a 1-year, $1.75M deal with the Blues that was below market value, but helped them with the cap with the promise that he'd get an extension that would make up for it. A year later, despite being a key role player on that Cup run with a 2OT goal in Game 7 vs. Dallas that will live forever in the memories of Blues fans, he played on a $900K contract in Tampa. (Where he won the Cup again, so ... he's probably not terribly upset about how that went.)

Not to mention, that "good amount of money drop[ping] off the books" is going to get plowed back into several of those same players and potentially used on younger players who now need more expensive contracts that what they currently have. It's really easy to picture AP getting promises of more money a couple years out, then watch teammates get extended again before him and then get told "oops, sorry - not much money left. Oh, and you're 2 years older now and starting on the downward slide of your career, no way in hell we're giving you $8M per much less more than that to make up for the great bargain you gave us. If you don't like it, go f*** off."

The point being: any verbal promise is like a clean baby diaper in a room of a dozen toddlers. It can be shit on at any time.

The big money is Steen and Bozak coming off next year, I doubt they will be resigned as Steen is getting old and breaking down and Bozak is taking a spot from some of the younger talent. Its completely feasible to see a deal like this working as it clears up over $10 mill which leaves room to sign Petro, give Schwartz and Binnington an deal, with money left over from Gunnarsson to take care of Thomas and Barbashev. It can work, Petro just has to be open to it.

I also wouldn't consider the Maroon situation the same, as they aren't the same caliber of player.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Renting can save you money if you are frequently traded. Or you could buy a nice house and if you get traded you could rent it to another NHL player.

I bet AP stays now and the whole organization wishes this misunderstanding never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce