Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Pretty embarrassing look for Vegas at this point. Have to think a lot of players league-wide are watching this unfold in disgust, especially players who are part of the Golden Knights core, brought them far into the playoffs in 3 straight years and are in danger of being moved.

If I were Pietrangelo I’d be pulling the chute and looking elsewhere. What a mess.

How is it embarrassing? This is a business, not a social club.

Yes, three straight years of not getting over the hump. AP can help with this, or do you disagree??

The GMs job is to make the team better. The Knights would be a better team with him on it.

Period.

Feelings have no place in business.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

Yes, three straight years of not getting over the hump. AP can help with this, or do you disagree??

The GMs job is to make the team better. The Knights would be a better team with him on it.

Period.

They would be better if you were adding AP to the current team. Problem is they are subtracting a key piece if they trade Schmidt to fit him in. Thats a slight improvement and you are relying on Lehner to repeat his success.

hellvetet

Oct 2, 2015
I don't know the specific rules pertaining to it, but I know you must sign a bonafide standard players contract, just like you must sign an entry-level contract upon entering the league.

NHL CBAs can be found here.
Collective Bargaining Agreement

Rules for Standard Player's Contracts starts on page 310 on the 2012 version.
Thanks!

Clause 11.1.a on page 40 is structured in a fashion that basically buries my idea or at the very least pushes it into very risky territory.

Reactions: Korg

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They would be better if you were adding AP to the current team. Problem is they are subtracting a key piece if they trade Schmidt to fit him in. Thats a slight improvement and you are relying on Lehner to repeat his success.

Whaaat they're relying on their #1 goalie to be a #1 goalie?

Next thing you'll tell me they expect Stone to be a selke candidate again

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane

Period.

Feelings can play into it when they are free agents or players that may get or have NTCs. If team X is known to be busting out trades all of the time and the player wants to have security, I imagine feelings do play into it.
So, yeah, money may trump feelings in most cases, but for sure feelings about a city/team are a factor. C'mon man.

And I guess VGK will see if it is worth it. Apparently they have decided it is worth it. I am sure feelings are playing into Pie's decision.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box

He’s making the team better, period.

I for one applaud him, too many GMs sit on their hands hoping things will get better.

The facts are the team has not gotten over the hump the last three years, with Schmidt on the team. Time to try something different.

Im not going to agree that adding a legit #1D is making the team slightly better. Give me a 50 point D man over a 30 point one anyway, while remaining defensively responsible.

Reactions: hn777

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

This is how I feel. You’re subtracting Schmidt, who is clearly not AP, but I’m also not sure he’s 3M per season worse. You also moved Stastny, who had a bad year (still .5 ppg in the playoffs), but now a kid has to fill a role. They also will likely end up paying someone to take Fleury, maybe retaining as well, so they can have flexibility for call ups and injuries. AP added to last years Knights obviously makes them a serious contender, but adding AP at the cost of Schmidt, Stastny and either a good prospect or pick to get rid of Fleury is questionable.

Reactions: snowkiddin

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Feelings can play into it when they are free agents or players that may get or have NTCs. If team X is known to be busting out trades all of the time and the player wants to have security, I imagine feelings do play into it.
So, yeah, money may trump feelings in most cases, but for sure feelings about a city/team are a factor. C'mon man.

And I guess VGK will see if it is worth it. Apparently they have decided it is worth it. I am sure feelings are playing into Pie's decision.

So you’d not be for bringing in AP and moving Girard??

You’d be worried about the teams feelings?

I think winning the Cup is the ultimate goal of any NHL team......not making sure everyone is happy.

Reactions: hn777

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Pretty embarrassing look for Vegas at this point. Have to think a lot of players league-wide are watching this unfold in disgust, especially players who are part of the Golden Knights core, brought them far into the playoffs in 3 straight years and are in danger of being moved.

If I were Pietrangelo I’d be pulling the chute and looking elsewhere. What a mess.
Embarrassing looks are when teams give out long term contracts with NTC/NMC clauses to get cheaper deals for their players then, once the player is aging and is no longer worth the cap hit, pressure them to waive their clauses or waive them. Vilifying them all the way.

It is a GMs job to improve the team. If players hear rumblings about getting moved, tough teats. It’s part of the deal. If a team intentionally leaks names to mess with guys, that’s a different thing, but I doubt it’s the case here.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The big money is Steen and Bozak coming off next year, I doubt they will be resigned as Steen is getting old and breaking down and Bozak is taking a spot from some of the younger talent. Its completely feasible to see a deal like this working as it clears up over $10 mill which leaves room to sign Petro, give Schwartz and Binnington an deal, with money left over from Gunnarsson to take care of Thomas and Barbashev. It can work, Petro just has to be open to it.
I don't care if the Blues have $40 million in cap space available and the cap goes up $10 million on top of that, HF doesn't have nearly enough emoticons to laugh at the idea that Doug Armstrong is going to give an Alex Pietrangelo that's closer to 32 years old an 8 year, $64 million contract as a thank you for taking a discount for one season. As Armstrong has been want to say from time to time, everything is a business decision; this isn't some charity where you dole out money out of the kindness of your heart and because you get emotional and misty-eyed about what once was.

The same thought applies if it's "only" 7 years, $56 million. It's not happening.

I also wouldn't consider the Maroon situation the same, as they aren't the same caliber of player.
The point is that I promise we'll take care of you is nothing more than an unwritten remark that can be subsequently ignored at any time, for any reason. The caliber of player alluded to in the illustration changes nothing in that point.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Strickland: Nate Schmidt will be traded to Florida
Also Strickland (1 day later): Vegas players are getting angry that their names are out there, and how they've handled things.
Strickland tomorrow: "Several Vegas players seen hugging teammates at the airport."

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
I don't care if the Blues have $40 million in cap space available and the cap goes up $10 million on top of that, HF doesn't have nearly enough emoticons to laugh at the idea that Doug Armstrong is going to give an Alex Pietrangelo that's closer to 32 years old an 8 year, $64 million contract as a thank you for taking a discount for one season. As Armstrong has been want to say from time to time, everything is a business decision; this isn't some charity where you dole out money out of the kindness of your heart and because you get emotional and misty-eyed about what once was.

The same thought applies if it's "only" 7 years, $56 million. It's not happening.

The point is that I promise we'll take care of you is nothing more than an unwritten remark that can be subsequently ignored at any time, for any reason. The caliber of player alluded to in the illustration changes nothing in that point.

I didn't say anything about offering him a 8yr/$64 mill contract or even speculate what a contract might look like after the bridge contract was over. I pointed out a way that we could possibly bring back Petro. Personally I would be getting concerned as a player that entered free agency as the best available and on day 4 there hasn't been a lot of movement. The team I am currently visiting is struggling to move the salary to sign me. My old team decided to grab the next best available rather then roll the dice and hope I choose them. My wife is angry because she doesn't want to move away from her family and have no help with the 4 kids while I spend 9 months out of the year in and out of the house. Anything is possible. Armstrong won't panic, but I can see Petro panicking before long. Just my opinion, doesn't have to be yours. I do enjoy debating this with you though.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Embarrassing looks are when teams give out long term contracts with NTC/NMC clauses to get cheaper deals for their players then, once the player is aging and is no longer worth the cap hit, pressure them to waive their clauses or waive them. Vilifying them all the way.

It is a GMs job to improve the team. If players hear rumblings about getting moved, tough teats. It’s part of the deal. If a team intentionally leaks names to mess with guys, that’s a different thing, but I doubt it’s the case here.

Yeah that really burned Tampa didn’t it...

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Period.

I think Vegas would be better off keeping their players than jumping through all these hoops for Pietrangelo. It would be good for them to dump Fleury, but I'm not sure they're gonna want to pay the price. In any event, the Fleury contract wasn't great from the moment it was signed

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Only a few years ago Vegas rinsed GM's all over the league in the expansion draft, had immediate success, and now they're looking for favors to unload contracts so they can sign another shiny toy. Not surprised in the slightest that nobody is lining up to make Vegas' life even easier than it's already been. I'd be squeezing them for every sweetener I could get to even consider picking up the phone.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Only a few years ago Vegas rinsed GM's all over the league in the expansion draft, had immediate success, and now they're looking for favors to unload contracts so they can sign another shiny toy. Not surprised in the slightest that nobody is lining up to make Vegas' life even easier than it's already been. I'd be squeezing them for every sweetener I could get to even consider picking up the phone.
Or it might be some owners have taken a hit due to COVID and have a self cap in place. They still don’t know if they will have fans in the stands next year.

quityerwhinin

Feb 9, 2017
He’s making the team better, period.

I for one applaud him, too many GMs sit on their hands hoping things will get better.

The facts are the team has not gotten over the hump the last three years, with Schmidt on the team. Time to try something different.

Im not going to agree that adding a legit #1D is making the team slightly better. Give me a 50 point D man over a 30 point one anyway, while remaining defensively responsible.

He definitely makes you better. I just question if that’s the biggest need. Without some real improvement up the middle, I’m not sure Pietrangelo cures what has ailed Vegas.

Reactions: LokiDog

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
anigif_sub-buzz-31348-1484827652-7.gif

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He is using Vegas as a negotiating tactic. I really believe that. Just sign him Blues. Enough is enough.

Reactions: Morrison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad