Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if we'll see a Vegas vs St. Louis race to shed salary and see who gets there first...

So many reports of Vegas guys like Pacioretty, Fleury and Schmidt being offered around the league, but nothing on the Blues side of things.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
This line from Mirtle really stood out:

“Alex won’t be signing anywhere at a discount,” one source close to the player told The Athletic on Friday evening.

I think Alex needs to come to terms with the fact that the market has changed. He's coming off as being really entitled - expecting (or even demanding) to get the red carpet treatment that other top level UFAs got and refusing to accept the fact that things have changed.

Reactions: hn777

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Pietrangelo doesn't even address any of Vegas' weaknesses.

The team doesn't have any finishers. They score a lot as a team because they are so puck-dominant. But they don't have the type of pure goal-scoring talent that you need to beat a hot goaltender in the Playoffs.

They should have focussed on giving Taylor Hall a contract. Surely he would have rather played for $8 million on a 1 year deal with Vegas, rather than Buffalo.

Even Mike Hoffman addresses their needs more than Pietrangelo. The only question is if Stone has bad feelings towards Hoffman because of the Karlsson fiasco.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

“Alex won’t be signing anywhere at a discount,” one source close to the player told The Athletic on Friday evening.

I think Alex needs to come to terms with the fact that the market has changed. He's coming off as being really entitled - expecting (or even demanding) to get the red carpet treatment that other top level UFAs got and refusing to accept the fact that things have changed.
He probably wants a Karlsson or Doughty contract.

The problem is that the market has changed, like you said.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019

The team doesn't have any finishers. They score a lot as a team because they are so puck-dominant. But they don't have the type of pure goal-scoring talent that you need to beat a hot goaltender in the Playoffs.

They should have focussed on giving Taylor Hall a contract. Surely he would have rather played for $8 million on a 1 year deal with Vegas, rather than Buffalo.
Max Pac should be that guy though shouldn't he? the way hes being paid he should be the main trigger man for Vegas.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

This is where I get confused. Pietrangelo is obviously an attractive target and mutual interest gets both sides hot and bothered, but Pietrangelo isn’t such a massive upgrade over Schmidt and the overall defense (and team defense) that it really changes Vegas’ odds for me. Defense, team D and goaltending are all pretty top notch overall. They struggled to score. They’d be and would have been much better off targeting a strong offensive play driver.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019

That really burns you up, doesn’t it? That inconsiderate piece of shit, making you wait.

Reactions: Tryblot

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Max Pac should be that guy though shouldn't he? the way hes being paid he should be the main trigger man for Vegas.
Pacioretty isn't the guy you want as your #1 scorer in the Playoffs. He would be better in a complementary role.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Wasn’t he rumoured to start the ask around Josi 9M contract?

The issue is that teams don’t have cap space

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
This is where I get confused. Pietrangelo is obviously an attractive target and mutual interest gets both sides hot and bothered, but Pietrangelo isn’t such a massive upgrade over Schmidt and the overall defense (and team defense) that it really changes Vegas’ odds for me. They’d be and would have been much better off targeting a strong offensive play driver.
Pietrangelo doesn't really do anything substantial that gets them past Dallas.

They almost lost to Vancouver too.

In both series, they lacked the ability to finish, even though they were outplaying their opponent.

Reactions: LokiDog

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Totally forgot about the red carpet treatment given to the likes of Tavares and Stamkos.... definitely has to sting if your Pietrangelo....just wrong place at the wrong time. There seems to be hardly any coverage of him even. Or maybe it is just because the Leafs are finally not in this one for once.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Why is Boston not outbidding these guys? Their cap situation is clear after this season.

Cheveldayoff is a clown.
Sweeney does not know how to close a deal. Neely is a figure that just throws water bottles. Ownership cap or no cap is going penny pinch, jut like the old days before the cap when they were in the forefront leading the way to instituting the cap..............I would bet money they will stay as low as possible below the cap this season. No fans ,no hot dogs ,beer etc etc etc revenues.....Bottom line this ownership sucks ,if it was not for Tim Thomas standing on his head this ownership would be completely shutout in the " Lord Stanley ". They also own the shameless distinction of trading the greatest hockey player of all time..........

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Totally forgot about the red carpet treatment given to the likes of Tavares and Stamkos.... definitely has to sting if your Pietrangelo....just wrong place at the wrong time. There seems to be hardly any coverage of him even. Or maybe it is just because the Leafs are finally not in this one for once.

Leafs had no $$ and they let that be known to his agent. I am sure they were thinking of creative ways to get him signed and skimp on depth but signing Pietrangelo at age 31 to 7 years was always going to end badly no matter what the AAV is. That's why he's not getting that kind of treatment.

If a superstar C was in UFA right now at age 27 like Stamkos almost was and Tavares was, teams would be lining up to throw money.

Pietrangelo isn't your 27 year old UFA. He's 31 when the next season starts and the most recent cases of older D who signed long term contracts don't look great right now (Doughty, Karlsson).

Reactions: Antropovsky

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Strickland: Nate Schmidt will be traded to Florida
Also Strickland (1 day later): Vegas players are getting angry that their names are out there, and how they've handled things.
That's interesting because the only reason Vegas is a competitive team to begin with is their team chemistry. Outside of Max and Mark, they don't really have bonafide stars. Would be interesting to see how Petro's presence affects that.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

Honestly, you have to be a bit of a head case if all those window trappings matter to you. Wanting to be the guy? Wanting to go to a winner? Wanting big money/term/NTC? Wanting to know ownership is solid and facilities/staff are world class? That all makes sense. Needing the fanfare of being the top dog on the market? Pie always struck me as a kind of humble, team guy. I’m honestly super surprised he wasn’t re-signed at a reasonable deal before the off season even began.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
That really burns you up, doesn’t it? That inconsiderate piece of shit, making you wait.

I don't see how you get that from what he said...he has a point. Previous UFAs have almost literally had red carpets rolled out for them. I believe Tavares set up in his agent's office in California, and they invited 5-6 teams to fly out to California to make their presentations to him. He was the centre of attention, dictated the entire process, and basically had money just being thrown at him along with carefully curated 'this is why you should come play for us' pitches. This market has upset everything, and that's clearly not happening at the same scale anymore. Any other year and Taylor Hall isn't signing a one year deal in Buffalo, and Alex Pietrangelo would not have just been flown out to Vegas -- he would have had half the league offering that sort of treatment.

It sucks for this crop of UFAs, but they just aren't going to get the same money (or treatment, since so few teams have the cap to make a serious pitch).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->