Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Im shocked if Pietrangelo ends up somewhere else and the Blues still have Bozak on the roster.

Wouldn’t feel like they did everything they could to free up space and that’s surprising.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Im shocked if Pietrangelo ends up somewhere else and the Blues still have Bozak on the roster.

Wouldn’t feel like they did everything they could to free up space and that’s surprising.

Blues had time to work on clearing more cap with tank on LTIR for a long while. If Petro is walking I’m fine with not having to trade Bozak.

Armstrong probably knew where we stood cap wise and was confident another deal could be made after unloading the Allen contract, or we never truly were going to pay Petro so no need to move other useful assets to clear cap.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Blues had time to work on clearing more cap with tank on LTIR for a long while. If Petro is walking I’m fine with not having to trade Bozak.

Armstrong probably knew where we stood cap wise and was confident another deal could be made after unloading the Allen contract, or we never truly were going to pay Petro so no need to move other useful assets to clear cap.

I envy cup winners, with no thought of your #1 just simply walking cause in the end of the day they've already won it all.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

If the Blues come to an agreement with Petro, they'll find a way to get somebody off the roster to make room (and yeah I think it'd be Bozak). But they're not going to dump a contract ahead of time in case it turns out Petro doesn't return. Then they've sent a player packing they probably still actually want.

It really seems like the roadblock is the Blues organizational stance on contracts. Armstrong doesn't want to give Petro a NMC or include signing bonuses in the contract. Nobody on the Blues has a NMC, and only O'Reilly has bonuses since his contract was signed with Buffalo. Petro wants those, and he'll likely get them from other teams.

I can understand the signing bonus issue, especially in a post-Covid NHL. Small-market teams might not always be in a great position to hand out large chunks of cash all at once. But not including the NMC just seems stubborn to me. He's one of the best defensemen in the league. He was the first guy to lift the Stanley Cup in team history. Let him have the job security.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

It's almost certainly not about space, but contract structure - Specifically, the signing bonus. I feel like the NMC is a smaller factor that wouldn't keep the deal from getting done.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I envy cup winners, with no thought of your #1 just simply walking cause in the end of the day they've already won it all.
There will be a lot of pissed off blues fans if he signs for a reasonable price elsewhere.

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
A good goalie is patient and waits for the opposing forward to make the move. A good gm is patient and waits for other gms to make moves.

Pietro stays and probably 2 or 3 teams will have made a bunch of trades for nothing. Say bye to the playoffs and hello to a rebuild VGK

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This Taj guy is great for info, but man does he hype/sensationalize some things. I don't gather how Benning is hinting at Petro at all in that last tweet, he could literally be hinting at any player in the NHL via trade or signing.
I highly doubt Canucks are in on Pietrangelo. However maybe Benning is finally getting smart and using the idea he is to put pressure on Coyotes in OEL negotiation. We need to move out dollars for adding these types of players and OEL trade at least gives us an opportunity to send a contract or two back.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
A very poignant take, and much more serious than your emojis would indicate.

I understand the bond that teams try to develop with members of their community, especially in much publicized cases like St. Louis with Laila during their Cup run last year.

At the same time, though, you can't have emotion dictate every decision made by the team.

How many kids in New York, with the same medical condition as Laila, watched Tavares walk away? Too many to count, I imagine. :help:

It probably happens far more often than we'd like to think, but that's just the nature of the business. For every kid that gets a fairytale moment with their favourite team, there's about a million that don't. In the end the team just has to do what they feel is best.

psully31

Aug 20, 2018
St. Louis
I understand the bond that teams try to develop with members of their community, especially in much publicized cases like St. Louis with Laila during their Cup run last year.

At the same time, though, you can't have emotion dictate every decision made by the team.

How many kids in New York, with the same medical condition as Laila, watched Tavares walk away? Too many to count, I imagine. :help:

It probably happens far more often than we'd like to think, but that's just the nature of the business. For every kid that gets a fairytale moment with their favourite team, there's about a million that don't. In the end the team just has to do what they feel is best.

Well, assuming a perfectly spread distribution amongst the US population, anywhere between 180-380 kids in New York. [1/50k or 1/100k * 324mil * New York pop/US pop] If the Rags and Isles split New York evenly with fans (not a good assumption) you could be looking at less than 100 kids. Seems countable. :sarcasm:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Leafs fans are setting themselves up for disappointment. I expect one hell of a meltdown when Pietrangelo signs in Vegas.
Not really. If it's not AP it will be other defensive D men on the market but AP would be the first choice. If Vegas got him I would say congrats to the Golden Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad