Alex Ovechkin scores 40 goals for the 10th season

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Even if he hadn't, I don't see how that makes him less of a player individually. He already has as many Art Ross trophies as Crosby.
I think his playoff record is a very minor mark against him. It's a small sample size, but his strength is regular season at this point.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I have to disagree. The game has been gearing to speed for awhile now. That's why the "goon" role is also leaving. I don't think McDavid had anything to do with it. He is just benefiting from the fact that he is the fastest player now. Yes, he is also one of the best but the trend has nothing to do with McDavid. IMO.

Yah I’m not saying it’s all Mcdavid but you can’t tell me when he entered the league everyone wasn’t like whoaaa this guy can move. I need to get faster. Especially 16-19 year olds at the time who are in the nhl now. I think it would be unfair to say Mcdavid hasn’t had some influence on it but yet say Crosby has changed the game? In what way he’s 5’11 200+ about as heavy as a guy you see at the height. He has no game changing quality other than his edge work. And nobody is using their edges like him so how has he changed the game. Very few guys have changed the game in the nhl and I think Mcdavid is one of them who’s had some influence. And this is no shot at Crosby. He’s the most complete player and it’s going to take a lot for Mcdavid to pass Crosby’s legacy. I’m not even entirely sure he is better than Sid right now. It’s close

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Yah I’m not saying it’s all Mcdavid but you can’t tell me when he entered the league everyone wasn’t like whoaaa this guy can move. I need to get faster. Especially 16-19 year olds at the time who are in the nhl now. I think it would be unfair to say Mcdavid hasn’t had some influence on it but yet say Crosby has changed the game? In what way he’s 5’11 200+ about as heavy as a guy you see at the height. He has no game changing quality other than his edge work. And nobody is using their edges like him so how has he changed the game. Very few guys have changed the game in the nhl and I think Mcdavid is one of them who’s had some influence

First off, I never said anything about Crosby. And second, people have been saying the league is getting faster for years. McDavid just happens to be a great player that is fast. People around the league have been trying to get fast skilled players for years. McDavid is part of that group (yes, he's best and fastest so far). But to say McDavid transformed the game, I still don't buy it. Like I said before, it's JMO.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
First off, I never said anything about Crosby. And second, people have been saying the league is getting faster for years. McDavid just happens to be a great player that is fast. People around the league have been trying to get fast skilled players for years. McDavid is part of that group (yes, he's best and fastest so far). But to say McDavid transformed the game, I still don't buy it. Like I said before, it's JMO.

True, I actually meant to say I’m not saying you said anything about Crosby, my bad. And yeah I can definitely see your point of view. I just think he’s had some influence on it.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Please tell me how Crosby and McDavid have changed the game of hockey? I'm not taking away from their talent but they've done nothing the NHL hasn't seen before while there has never been another player like Ovechkin. The combination of size, speed, power and goal scoring the like the game has never seen, he's changed the game more than either Crosby or McDavid
You basically just described Gordie Howe though.

I am a huge fan of Ovechkin. Have been from day one. But he hasn't changed the game any more than Crosby. We've seen players of his ilk before. Howe, Lindros, Messier, big bruisers that score a ton and terrify their opponents. Ovechkin will (should) go down as the greatest goal scorer ever and is absolutely a generational player, but the game hasn't changed at all because of him.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Generational controller disconnected GiF that’s for sure.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Please tell me how Crosby and McDavid have changed the game of hockey? I'm not taking away from their talent but they've done nothing the NHL hasn't seen before while there has never been another player like Ovechkin. The combination of size, speed, power and goal scoring the like the game has never seen, he's changed the game more than either Crosby or McDavid.

There's a reason why Alexander Ovechkin continues even now to be the most popular player in the game and it isn't because he's more of the same.

Crosby symbolizes winning, which is the whole purpose of hockey:
By the age of 30, he already had a hall of fame worthy career (multiple individual awards, three Stanley cup, multiple gold medals...). If he didn’t had missed most of his peak, he would have a even bigger legacy, but that’s another topic for another day. Accomplishing all of that, in a short period of time, in a era of parity is enough to put him in the generational category. He really succeed to distance himself from the rest of the pack when it comes to team success and individual success

And I have no problem to place McDavid among the generational players. He is the face of the ''new NHL’’ and symbolizes the new fast pace hockey that’s its playing now around the league. And as of right now, he’s exceeding expectations of a generationnal talent. In fact, he won the Art Ross every healthy seasons he played and has the best ppg among players since 2015-16

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Here's how I look at it:

Ovechkin has shown to be one of the most lethal players of all time. He has shown that you can change your game and still dominate the league. He went from being the best player in the world, demon all over the ice, hitting everything in his way and scoring at absolute will at blazing speeds, to a more smart triggerman who picks his spots better. The ice was tilted when he was on, to the point where you on the other team were like "damn he's on again!" The fact that he is still putting up goal totals at this age is insane. He has shown to have great hockey IQ for being able to adapt his game as he ages. The most electrifying player at his peak of all time.

Crosby has shown that you can dominate pretty much all aspects of hockey. I mean the guy is insane. He is top 2 in goals, assists, and points since he came into the league. That is insanity. He is literally the definition of a jack-in-the-box. Need a goal? He's there. Need to make a play? He's there. Want him to defend? He's there. He is one of the greatest all-around players ever. Period.

They haven't changed the game like Stephen Curry has changed basketball with his shooting ability, but they have shown that they are special, special players who can adapt to any situation while using different play styles, and still dominate.

So happy to have watched them

Last edited:

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Crosby symbolizes winning, which is the whole purpose of hockey:
By the age of 30, he already had a hall of fame worthy career (multiple individual awards, three Stanley cup, multiple gold medals...). If he didn’t had missed most of his peak, he would have a even bigger legacy, but that’s another topic for another day. Accomplishing all of that, in a short period of time, in a era of parity is enough to put him in the generational category. He really succeed to distance himself from the rest of the pack when it comes to team success and individual success

And I have no problem to place McDavid among the generational players. He is the face of the ''new NHL’’ and symbolizes the new fast pace hockey that’s its playing now around the league. And as of right now, he’s exceeding expectations of a generationnal talent. In fact, he won the Art Ross every healthy seasons he played and has the best ppg among players since 2015-16
Many players have symbolized winning and done it better, Crosby adds nothing new in this respect, nor the other team accolades. Again, this isn't taking anything away from him but he's done nothing new in hockey, nothing.

McDavid may be one of the 2 to 3 best players, but other than speed we've seen this type of player before.

Reactions: varank

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You basically just described Gordie Howe though.

I am a huge fan of Ovechkin. Have been from day one. But he hasn't changed the game any more than Crosby. We've seen players of his ilk before. Howe, Lindros, Messier, big bruisers that score a ton and terrify their opponents. Ovechkin will (should) go down as the greatest goal scorer ever and is absolutely a generational player, but the game hasn't changed at all because of him.
Gordie Howe didn't skate like Ovechkin or hit like him and while he's one of the all time greats no one is going to say Howe was as great of a goal scorer as Ovechkin. I don't like bringing players that played so long ago into the equation either, it isn't fair to them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not really.

Joe Thornton has more assists than Crosby since '04-'05. Crosby has led the league in assists ONE time since '04-'05 (Thornton, H.Sedin have done it three times each for comparisons sake).

38 more assists but in 114 more games. Joe also doesn't shoot the puck while Sid does. So that's pretty misleading....Thornton might be a slightly better pure passer but Crosby is definitely the better 'playmaker' if that makes sense.

No neutral or astute hockey fan would argue Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin could create offense or plays better than Sidney Crosby could/can.

Reactions: Dingo

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
That's you know your definition. The ones you call "generational" I would call elite or maybe all time greats, to me generational is one step above that(someone that comes along once every 80~, you know an actual generation, years or so).

As I already said Ovechkin is a generational goalscorer, compare to Gretzky- a generational player(arguably as great of a goalscorer, even if I would probably put Ovi ahead just, but a way superior player in other aspects of the game.)

Do you just make up your own definitions?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
38 more assists but in 114 more games. Joe also doesn't shoot the puck while Sid does. So that's pretty misleading....Thornton might be a slightly better pure passer but Crosby is definitely the better 'playmaker' if that makes sense.

No neutral or astute hockey fan would argue Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin could create offense or plays better than Sidney Crosby could/can.

I'd argue Thornton as the better playmaker. Sid is better overall offensive player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad