Alex Ovechkin scores 40 goals for the 10th season

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
38 more assists but in 114 more games. Joe also doesn't shoot the puck while Sid does. So that's pretty misleading....Thornton might be a slightly better pure passer but Crosby is definitely the better 'playmaker' if that makes sense.

No neutral or astute hockey fan would argue Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin could create offense or plays better than Sidney Crosby could/can.
agree. part of making a play is actually getting the puck. Thornton and Sedin may actually have softer hands and better accuracy (i cant really determine vision enough to rate it) but they were both pretty slow. Thornton’s game looks much worse in the playoffs without so many powerplays and with people putting into that extra gear taking away space.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For the first 5 years of his career, he was definitely a generational player. But after 2010, he had seasons of 65, 71 and 69 points while still being relatively young. That doesn’t scream generational to me.

The funny part. The 69 and 71 point seasons were consective. He lead the league with 50 goals in one and lead the league in goals combined. These are his off seasons. Crosby also had 3 seasons under 70 points. Ovechkin is apparently penalized for playing thru his apparent injuries or off seasons. No disrespect to 87 in any way

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Generational controller disconnected GiF that’s for sure.

WRaaqMu.gif

0Dwqhtz.gif

Always Ov vs Sid :sarcasm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That's just another mind boggling stat brought to you by Alex ovechkin.

10 40 goal seasons.... Who is next closest in terms of active players?

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'd argue Thornton as the better playmaker. Sid is better overall offensive player.

Backstrom and Thornton are both better playmakers than Crosby. But overall offensively, Crosby for sure.

10 straight 40 goal seasons.... Who is next closest in terms of active players?

Ovechkin doesn't have 10 straight 40 goals seasons.

For arguments sake though, IF McDavid, Laine or Seguin get it done, they will be working on TWO consecutive 40 goal seasons. ;)

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
None of those players yet rival Crosby and Ovechkin. Lets be honest. The first two haven't won a playoff series even.

I've been saying that for a couple years now. McDavid and Matthews are exceptional players, however I don't see them ever becoming what Sid and OV are.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

10 straight 40 goal seasons.... Who is next closest in terms of active players?

He didn't have 10 straight, 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 he scored below 40.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
For the first 5 years of his career, he was definitely a generational player. But after 2010, he had seasons of 65, 71 and 69 points while still being relatively young. That doesn’t scream generational to me.
The fact that he did that, and returned back to his natural form of making every other goal scorer look like an ahler speaks volumes to just how generational he is.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I just don’t think Ovechkin transformed the game like Richard, Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby and Mcdavid did.
It takes more than just goal scoring to be in that group of players IMO

What the f***? You say Ovechkin hasn't changed the game and have the nerve to say McDavid has? Wow.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Even as a diehard Pens fan, I love me some Ovi.

I had a relative, who was working in Russia for a few years, get me a Moscow Dynamp Jersey while they were there. Its awesome.

Congrats to Ovi. Hell of a fn player. Let's go for 15 seasons. Woo.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Ovechkins effect on the league won't be completely known until he's retired, like how everyone is talking about the greats in such nostalgia.

Ovechkin has changed the game. He's shown how important shooting is in hockey. He's naturally declined in speed and tenacity but he's the best definition of adaptibility in the modern age. He's getting rockets because his shot is amazing.

He's reworked his game to better suit to his abilities and his team.
McDavid hasn't done anything to even hold Ovis jock as of yet in his career.

Not only did Ovechkin show remarkable adaptibility in his career, but he's been a fantastic player, team mate, and icon for the sport. Ovechkin is universally loved by many except to those with some kind of an agenda.

I've met a ton of kids who look up to Ovechkin more than any other player.

This whole "hasn't changed the game" bs is amazing. Wait until he retires, then you will see the impact he has. Infectious personality and generational player.

That together is something that no player in the league today has.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Your intellectual dishonesty is at an all-star level.

I know they would've, but McDavid did. He is not far off as a player from what they ever were, if you believe otherwise you're just wrong. He's a consistently dominant force out there. and has been since his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad