Alex Ovechkin scores 40 goals for the 10th season

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I know they would've, but McDavid did. He is not far off as a player from what they ever were, if you believe otherwise you're just wrong. He's a consistently dominant force out there. and has been since his rookie season.

He has not reached Crosby's offensive peak and perhaps never will. Another thing he may not reach is Crosby's elite all around game that accompanied his offensive peak or Crosby's level of play in the playoffs.

You, like many others, seem to think that his age allows for baseless speculation as to how good he can get and that will automatically translate into the playoffs.

He absolutely deserves to be considered in the same tier of Crosby and OV after four the first four years of their respective careers but he has not reached their peaks.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I swear to god John Carlson has the easiest damn job in hockey.
Except he hasn't been great at it for most of the year and the PP has suffered. Only recently has he started looking off defenders and juking to just freeze the PK long enough, Carlson has been pedestrian for the most part, hope he's just saving it.

Also, it's incredible how much Ovechkin is carrying this Capitals team. 42 goals and the only player on his team in the top 25 in points. Without him this isn't a playoff team, how many players are carrying the offensive load as much as Ovechkin is? I doubt there's 3 in the league.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
That's you know your definition. The ones you call "generational" I would call elite or maybe all time greats, to me generational is one step above that(someone that comes along once every 80~, you know an actual generation, years or so).

As I already said Ovechkin is a generational goalscorer, compare to Gretzky- a generational player(arguably as great of a goalscorer, even if I would probably put Ovi ahead just, but a way superior player in other aspects of the game.)

I don't think you understand what a "generation" is.

80 years ago today is 1939. Your parents, the previous "generation", probably weren't even born then. Hell, 1939 is before the timeline for baby boomers, which is 2 generations removed from millennials, and 3 generations removed from Generation Z (which you seem to be). That means someone playing in the league in 1939 and who is 20 years old was born in 1919.

By taking your definition of generational, before Gretzky, the previous generational talent would look like this guy:

tex-rickard-381x480.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: discobob

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Crosby symbolizes winning, which is the whole purpose of hockey:
By the age of 30, he already had a hall of fame worthy career (multiple individual awards, three Stanley cup, multiple gold medals...). If he didn’t had missed most of his peak, he would have a even bigger legacy, but that’s another topic for another day. Accomplishing all of that, in a short period of time, in a era of parity is enough to put him in the generational category. He really succeed to distance himself from the rest of the pack when it comes to team success and individual success

And I have no problem to place McDavid among the generational players. He is the face of the ''new NHL’’ and symbolizes the new fast pace hockey that’s its playing now around the league. And as of right now, he’s exceeding expectations of a generationnal talent. In fact, he won the Art Ross every healthy seasons he played and has the best ppg among players since 2015-16

The thing is, its probably easier to find the next Crosby than it is to find the next Ovechkin. Not that finding the next Crosby is easy, but just that the skill set of Ovechkin is so unique.

Reactions: Sam Spade

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
40 goals in 10/14 seasons, and 1 of those he has 32 in 48 and another with 38 in 78.

Crazy.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
If anyone wants to make an argument that OV isn't "generational"... you better post your list of players that are "generational" or no one is going to take you seriously.

If you want to say he's not generational, and your list is Gretzky, Lemieux, and Howe. Then fine...

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->