Alex Ovechkin hits 700 career NHL goals!

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
It's not as simple as that. Guys come back with higher ppgs after lock outs and getting som much needed rest. That has been the case after every lock out. It exploded in 95-96 and also after the 04 one (definately partly due to rule changes, and let's not pretend those rule changes didn't boost Ovie's gpg.)

Ovie had two full seasons in a row with 32 and 38 goals before the last lock out, which then completely rejuvenated him, and to extrapolate his career gpg on a rookie season that would have been when he was 19 doesn't work either.
It may as well be that simple. Even if we bitch and complain about all the things that you brought up to take away 10--maybe even 20!--goals away, that's still a significant number of goals missing from his career total.

Reactions: Randyne

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie had two full seasons in a row with 32 and 38 goals before the last lock out, which then completely rejuvenated him, and to extrapolate his career gpg on a rookie season that would have been when he was 19 doesn't work either.

Lets be fair here. That 32 goal season he had 85 points. The assists may have been a result of a wrist injury. The 38 goal season was all about Dale Hunter. There's no way around that.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Lets be fair here. That 32 goal season he had 85 points. The assists may have been a result of a wrist injury. The 38 goal season was all about Dale Hunter. There's no way around that.
I've been told his 33 goal season 16-17 was due to a wrist injury? Is there a "wrist injury" every year Ovie scores under 40? I don't think it's far fetched to say lock outs rejuvenate a lot of players. It is definately not correct to claim another 82 game season in the midst of everything would have given another 50 goals while the rest of the career would have been exactly the same.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I've been told his 33 goal season 16-17 was due to a wrist injury? Is there a "wrist injury" every year Ovie scores under 40? I don't think it's far fetched to say lock outs rejuvenate a lot of players. It is definately not correct to claim another 82 game season in the midst of everything would have given another 50 goals while the rest of the career would have been exactly the same.

I think we are looking at a hockey player that has almost never missed a game. A slash on the wrist that does damage is not outrageous. If you don't believe that, then he had 50 assists because he decided to change his game and become a playmaker.

As you mentioned he only had 33 in 16 17 and there wasn't any rejuvenation time after that and he bounced back a little.

You know.....It might be that he had an off season occasionally.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I think we are looking at a hockey player that has almost never missed a game. A slash on the wrist that does damage is not outrageous. If you don't believe that, then he had 50 assists because he decided to change his game and become a playmaker.

As you mentioned he only had 33 in 16 17 and there wasn't any rejuvenation time after that and he bounced back a little.

You know.....It might be that he had an off season occasionally.
Definately. But many players have said how lock outs prolonged their career, and if not for the 04-05 one, there still would be obstructions like in the dead puck era, and many of those 50 goal campaigns would prob be 40 goals campaign. Hence it's not as simple as saying "Ovie would have another 77 goals IF..."

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Definately. But many players have said how lock outs prolonged their career, and if not for the 04-05 one, there still would be obstructions like in the dead puck era, and many of those 50 goal campaigns would prob be 40 goals campaign. Hence it's not as simple as saying "Ovie would have another 77 goals IF..."

My attitude is that a player gets a certain amount of mileage and that Ov will probably get those lockout games that he didn't play, later. Ive said that the NHL forcing players to quit slashing a player's hands and wrists is lengthening his prime. Not sure why breaking a guy's hand or wrist with a slash was ever not a priority to stop.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
My attitude is that a player gets a certain amount of mileage and that Ov will probably get those lockout games that he didn't play, later. Ive said that the NHL forcing players to quit slashing a player's hands and wrists is lengthening his prime. Not sure why breaking a guy's hand or wrist with a slash was ever not a priority to stop.
I kind of agree with you on that. He lost some games there and probably gained a few games due to less wear and tear later on. I was opposed to that other poster that stated the exact amount of goals Ovie would have no IF there were no lock outs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I kind of agree with you on that. He lost some games there and probably gained a few games due to less wear and tear later on. I was opposed to that other poster that stated the exact amount of goals Ovie would have no IF there were no lock outs.

I think you can have some by projecting what Ov's goal total would look like had he started a year before he did and had he not missed that partial lock out season. Even if he gets all the those goals back later, you have to wait for them.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I think you can have some by projecting what Ov's goal total would look like had he started a year before he did and had he not missed that partial lock out season. Even if he gets all the those goals back later, you have to wait for them.
You can, but it would be no more right than speculating a non lock out 12-13, would have kept Ovie at his 35 goal pace he had the two seasons prior.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden

He's only scored under 40 twice and one of those was a wrist injury yes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Ovie played when Gretzky was scoring 200 pts in the 80's, and it was fire wagon hockey 24/7. I think he would have scored 800 goals by now and probably even more. The great 8 is probably the best goal scorer in terms of consistency and longevity all time.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It's a shame this season went the way it did. He was on the verge of moving into a tie for first place for the most 50 goal seasons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad