Alex Ovechkin hits 700 career NHL goals!

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Lemieux never lost a rocket to any of these players so who cares. It's the lamest excuse in the book, just listing off the guys without taking 2 minutes to look it up.
I don't really get what you mean? He lost rockets to Gretzky, Hull, Selanne, Mogilny, Bure. Fair enough, without injuries you could probably take away Mogilny/Selanne.

Those players are in another dimension than Corey Perry. NHL was very weak 2003-2015. I know modern fans think guys are more talented than ever, but those years were worse than the previous 30 years.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I don't really get what you mean? He lost rockets to Gretzky, Hull, Selanne, Mogilny, Bure. Fair enough, without injuries you could probably take away Mogilny/Selanne.

Those players are in another dimension than Corey Perry. NHL was very weak 2003-2015. I know modern fans think guys are more talented than ever, but those years were worse than the previous 30 years.

Lol you can exclude all of those players (which is some seriously desperate reaching) and Lemieux gets a whopping 1 extra rocket.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Ovechkin's goal scoring is a lot more impressive than Lemieux and Gretzky who literally played against the worst goalies and total bums would score 50 goals a year.

OV is wayyy better than both men at goal scoring. Just look how crappy their wrist shot and slap shot abilities are compared to Ovechkin's.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Ovechkin's goal scoring is a lot more impressive than Lemieux and Gretzky who literally played against the worst goalies and total bums would score 50 goals a year.

OV is wayyy better than both men at goal scoring. Just look how crappy their wrist shot and slap shot abilities are compared to Ovechkin's.
You can't so casually paint Lemieux with this brush, he put up insane numbers into the dead puck era.

Reactions: Angelonius

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

I don't know about that , Mario set up in his office on the boards near the goal line and chucked pucks in like candy.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
On the contrary. Lemieux and Gretzky played against much better goalies than Ovechkin. Luongo, Lundquist, and Price will not overtake Smith, Fuhr, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, and Brodeur in the list of all-time goalie greats. Roy won as many Vezinas as those three combined, three more Conn Smythes than those three combined, and three more Cups than those three combined.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

Plus Gretz was using wooden or alunimum sticks. Ever use an alunimum stick?
Mario had carbon sticks near his final playing days.
Neither was going to over power goalies but dudes could pick holes.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
For sure the goaltending and defensive structures in general were far below today’s level. No argument can be made against that. Same with fact that players of yesteryear didn’t have the same skates, sticks especially and training methods of today’s players.

But in terms of the conversation above, Gretzky had an accurate, if not hard slapshot. But, Lemieux? His wrister was an absolute howitzer with pin point precision. Mario could let it rip.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015

Ovechkin isnt even good at hockey you dare to compare him to Gretz/Lemieux:laugh: Ovechkin is worse than Leo Komarov objectively when we talk about hockey skills or atleast lot closer to Komarov than Lemieux:thumbu:

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Ovechkin isnt even good at hockey you dare to compare him to Gretz/Lemieux:laugh: Ovechkin is worse than Leo Komarov objectively when we talk about hockey skills or atleast lot closer to Komarov than Lemieux:thumbu:

Not true at all. Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. Lemieux wasn't even the best of his era, he was a bum compared to Gretzky.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Not true at all. Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time. Lemieux wasn't even the best of his era, he was a bum compared to Gretzky.
You say he is better than Lemieux okay sure.. You consider standing still and slapping goals more impressive than dominating game's with puck on your stick? I would say Kovalchuk was more impessive than Ovechkin skill/talent wise and he is nothing compared to Mario. Datsyuk was easily greatest player of this Rus generation he was equal to Crosby at his prime he could score 130 points easy if he would skip defense like Ovy did, but he was real hockey player.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
You say he is better than Lemieux okay sure.. You consider standing still and slapping goals more impressive than dominating game's with puck on your stick? I would say Kovalchuk was more impessive than Ovechkin skill/talent wise and he is nothing compared to Mario. Datsyuk was easily greatest player of this Rus generation he was equal to Crosby at his prime he could score 130 points easy if he would skip defense like Ovy did, but he was real hockey player.
Ovy does hammer home goals from his office but your selling him a bit short ,which im guessing your aware. Kovy had better wheels than Ovy but both supremely talented ,and both have possibly the best one-timers ever ,there that close as far as the one-time goes. I love Kovys highlights...PING and in.

dcmeatloaf

Oct 8, 2003
Washington, DC
On the contrary. Lemieux and Gretzky played against much better goalies than Ovechkin. Luongo, Lundquist, and Price will not overtake Smith, Fuhr, Roy, Hasek, Belfour, and Brodeur in the list of all-time goalie greats. Roy won as many Vezinas as those three combined, three more Conn Smythes than those three combined, and three more Cups than those three combined.
Just for the record: Ovechkin scored against Hasek (1 goal in 2 games), Belfour (4 goals in 6 games), and Brodeur (7 goals in 23).

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Ovy does hammer home goals from his office but your selling him a bit short ,which im guessing your aware. Kovy had better wheels than Ovy but both supremely talented ,and both have possibly the best one-timers ever ,there that close as far as the one-time goes. I love Kovys highlights...PING and in.
Kovy was amazing at his prime just played mostly with bad team's last 5 years he's been just shadow of what he was, but still Datsyuk was even greater than Kovy and clearly: Kovalchuk was invidual who excelled with his raw physichal talents/skills and Ovechkin is also same kind of quite primitive player ofc Ilya is more skill oriented than Ovy, but still they are more a like. Players like Datsyuk Forsberg Gretzky Lemieux Larionov and Jagr have amazing invidual skill/talent, but what seperates them from players like Kovalchuk is hockey sense they make others better around them and not just shine as inviduals making solo rushes or great shots.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Goaltender talent is debatable, but the disparity in the 80s and earlier 90s was absurd. A quick expansion and no salary cap resulted in dynasty teams 10x better than average, and for every Roy there were 10 goaltenders who regularly had .850 stats and used the technique that is deservedly extinct today. Same for the glorified defensemen: for every Ray Bourque there were dozens of players who could barely skate and play the puck. Scoring was much easier in that era than in the post-lockout/pre-McDavid era.

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
Zero goals for Ovi next game against Tampa, Rutta has shut him down every game so far.

Bad luck for this game, best of luck for the rest of the season.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
You're Gennady Ushakov I presume?

Spacey

Feb 2, 2015
How can you guys compare Ovi and Mario? Mario played in era >~3.5 goals per game, Ovi in ~2.8 goals per game. Mario's stats today will be ~550 goals for his 915 games. Mario was extremelly talented, massive forward, but now average lvl of defense is much higher than on late 80s.
Ovi is just a machine for goal scoring. The best machine.
Sorry for bad english

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007

Yeah, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur were such bums. They could never compete with the legends playing today...

I think Oveckhin has a more impressive goalscoring career than Lemieux. BUT, if I had to pick one of them in their prime, and I needed a goal which they had to score themselves, I'd pick Lemieux. That tells you something.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
The difference in average goalie save% over Lemieux's career compared to Ovi must be dramatic. Like 0.900 to 0.915?

Reactions: Vijo Morganstein

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
While I firmly believe that Ovechkin will not break this record, I think it’s going to be a lot of fun to see him try. I’ve been excited for these upcoming goals in particular because he’s going to pass so many legends in quick succession.

And I’ve said this before, this daily reinforcement of being associated with names like Selanne, Lemieux, Yzerman and Messier and then climbing up the list to at least #3 (and of course his own legend that he has made throughout his career to this point) is going to do wonders for where he is looked at historically in the future.

I’ve seen it from before Crosby even played his first game in the NHL, this quest for him to be crowned #5 behind the Big Four no matter what.

That may hold for a little while, but I don’t see how Crosby is ranked over Ovechkin 20-30 years down the road, if he doesn’t add any more individual hardware or he picks up another couple of Conn Smythes that are more uncontested, while Ovechkin has his own trophy case and has some sort of chance at dethroning the Great One.

Being associated with and breaking such a huge Gretzky record is going to carry a ton of historical value and impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad