Alex Nylander

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The photos in this thread do not depict the body of a workout freak.

Still accurate and actually not disputed in this thread.

Workout freak? Who? What? Where?

e543492a7cf9564a583cb274bdf1104823d429f0.jpg

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This obsession with what a guy looks like off the ice is so f***ing strange.... You don't have to be a "workout freak" or look like a f***ing body builder to be a great hockey player. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Nylander's build. On the contrary, he's actually built like roughly....90% of pro hockey players. But not everyone can bench 1.5x their body weight, I guess.

I also find it hilarious that the same guys that defended Seabrook's pudgy ass constantly, are the ones here criticizing Nylander's build. Being chubby and having a second chin didn't stop Seabrook from being a hell of a hockey player. :laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
This obsession with what a guy looks like off the ice is so f***ing strange.... You don't have to be a "workout freak" or look like a f***ing body builder to be a great hockey player. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Nylander's build. On the contrary, he's actually built like roughly....90% of pro hockey players. But not everyone can bench 1.5x their body weight, I guess.

I also find it hilarious that the same guys that defended Seabrook's pudgy ass constantly, are the ones here criticizing Nylander's build. Being chubby and having a second chin didn't stop Seabrook from being a hell of a hockey player. :laugh:
Also, the same guys that said Teravainen will be playing in Europe in a couple years a few years ago when we traded him.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Somehow, in the "new" hockey world, the 2 largest muscle groups needed for acceleration are no long needed.

Oy.

unnamed (2).jpg

The fastest guy in the NHL looks NO different. This is just more nonsensical bullshit. Extremely ironic considering it's coming from a bunch of fat asses sitting on their couch, who likely haven't put on a pair of skates in decades. If ever. Strength is but one component of acceleration and speed on the ice....

Reactions: Giovi

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Take a gander at Oshie, Crosby, Seguin, Klingberg for starters... what a shame they spent all that effort building their legs.

Oshie and Croby for sure. Seguin is diced but he went beach body look imo. Klingberg?

McDavid and Matthews are both elite skaters but look at the difference.

You don't have to be quadzilla to be a explosive skater, 100% a myth. Personally I had big quads and ass but it wasn't needed. Ryan Miller and Bob are skinny as shit but Lehner is a monster.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Oshie and Croby for sure. Seguin is diced but he went beach body look imo. Klingberg?

You don't have to be quadzilla to be a explosive skater, 100% a myth. Personally I had big quads and ass but it wasn't needed. Ryan Miller and Bob are skinny as shit but Lehner is a monster.

Strength to weight ratio, stride, and edge work are infinitely more important. Not to mention skating utilizes your entire core, and not just your legs. There's a reason most hockey players don't look like other athletes. Muscle mass has diminishing returns.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Yes, Klingberg
tumblr_inline_pimqx3TRG61ssvrb4_540.jpg

Point is AN isn't the fastest guy ala McJesus, he's not shredded like anybody, has no legs. IMO, his lack of trying to build up his strength is reflective of how he has played. Inconsistent and unfocused.

Hopefully the light has gone on for him as he could be a good, cheap asset to have.

(of course one doesn't have to be Quadzilla to skate fast but for those not blessed like a McDavid or Coffey it sure helps.)

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes, Klingberg
tumblr_inline_pimqx3TRG61ssvrb4_540.jpg

Point is AN isn't the fastest guy ala McJesus, he's not shredded like anybody, has no legs. IMO, his lack of trying to build up his strength is reflective of how he has played. Inconsistent and unfocused.

Hopefully the light has gone on for him as he could be a good, cheap asset to have.

(of course one doesn't have to be Quadzilla to skate fast but for those not blessed like a McDavid or Coffey it sure helps.)

:laugh:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Strength to weight ratio, stride, and edge work are infinitely more important. Not to mention skating utilizes your entire core, and not just your legs. There's a reason most hockey players don't look like other athletes. Muscle mass has diminishing returns.

As the would be kinesiologist of the group, perhaps you could explain why most hockey players end up with bad backs.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
For goalies, it has a lot to do with the twisting and turning in net.

Klingberg was news to me but he looks like Nylander in his shorts.

Klingberg is a f***ing twig. Yeah, he's got some ripped looking thighs. But his calf muscles are like my forearms... His upper body is Ethiopian... Tiny little arms. It's a ridiculously strange player to reference. He's built like a center in basketball, not a hockey player.

Reactions: MileHighHawksFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad