Alex Nylander

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
BK, CH10, I can go on and on. I usually agree with those guys about players but not in this case. @BK me and you saw something out of Teravainen for example when many here were ripping him. We'll just have to agree to disagree on Nylander. I'd be floor if he even turned into half the player his brother is.

I am fine with that. I will continue to point out the little things and the mistakes I see but that is fun part about talking hockey. To be clear, he is further behind TT.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I loved and 'defended' Teuvo (I put it in quotes, cause he didn't need defending, he was playing great here), and I'm pretty down on Nylander.

I don't think they're comparable frankly. Teuvo's brain was arguably his greatest asset, it's what made him such an effective two-way player so early in his career despite his relatively diminutive size. It's Nylander's biggest weakness.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I loved and 'defended' Teuvo (I put it in quotes, cause he didn't need defending, he was playing great here), and I'm pretty down on Nylander.

I don't think they're comparable frankly. Teuvo's brain was arguably his greatest asset, it's what made him such an effective two-way player so early in his career despite his relatively diminutive size. It's Nylander's biggest weakness.
TT was very weak on the puck in Chicago and that is what I criticized about him but I agree with the rest of your post. Something needs to change between Nylander's ears. Coming from a hockey family one would think he can think the game but he's got to want it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

The comp is based on age and when it truly clicked not their pure skill sets.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The comp is based on age and when it truly clicked not their pure skill sets.

That's fair, though I think skillset is more important than age in terms of a players potential.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

Yeah exactly. TT's IQ was plenty apparent.

Nylander's problem isn't effort. Ok it is too, but more often than not he tries, he does what he's told, he tires to be responsible. It's just it's not 100% if the time.

But that too imo is just the consequence of the bigger problem, and that's his hockey IQ. Like all those small brain farts sometimes he forgets what to cover, he doesn't click fast enough to stand around the net, he doesn't try to use his body to crash the inside but rather pulls back out. He doesn't see the pass fast, he doesn shoot it that second but hesitates.

It's like brain lag. Maybe it's not his hockey iq, maybe it's lack of confidence that makes him doubt the play or his ability. But I only super rarely saw him be the smart heady player - usually it's the impression that he has the tools but not the box.

I dunno let's give him another year, but his hockey iq isn't something the Sabres took away, or that needs to develop. Usually it's there or not.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Nylander’s biggest problem is Kubalik developed so quickly. That spot he was supposed to slot into on toews line was overtaken by Kubalik and developed enough chemistry where it’s difficult to move him(Kubalik) off the first line and he (Nylander) really is redundant piece in the middle six because the flaws in kane, debrincat and strome’s respective games.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I expected more out of Strome. This one reason why I am personally harder on him. I think the Sabres royally bitches Nylander’s development and it shows. He shows glimpses of what he can be which gives me hope. Nylander in my opinion will be a late bloomer.

Nylander is the one who screwed over Sabres not other way around

The entitled prick stopped trying when team told him roster spots are earned and not given to you simply based on who your father and brother are

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I agree that hockey IQ is something you either have or you don't, but I'm not sure that is Nylander's issue. I think it might be more about confidence. He knows what the right play is, but just second guesses himself too much. He's so used to being able to get away with forcing plays in lower levels that he can't get away with in the NHL. Not that Colliton is the authority on this, but that's what he says. Nylander plays like a guy whose confidence has been crushed. Benching him isn't going to fix that. A person who has no confidence in themselves and their ability might as well be a person who is dumb.

I still struggle with confidence issues to this day, and mostly because I don't see other people believe in me, so I can empathize with that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also Nylander better comp is Skille

Skille speed + hitting were only reason people kept hope for kid and why he stuck around bouncing around NHL

Nylander has speed and nothing else so he cant play a bottom 6 gritty game and become an AHL/NHL tweener like Jack to prolong his career

And Skille certainly put in more effort on ice in all facets of game then Nylander has been willing to whic his another reason Nylander career will be short once people stop giving him excuses because of his last name

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

The entitled prick stopped trying when team told him roster spots are earned and not given to you simply based on who your father and brother are

:huh:

This never happened. Provide a source if you are going to make some ridiculous claim like that.

Buffalo botched his development. They're terrible when it comes to developing players. They tried for three years straight to force him into the NHL lineup when he needed development at lower levels first. That's how you ruin a kid's confidence. Force him into the NHL, then when he's not good enough, you send him back down... over and over and over again.

They did that 3 seasons in a row.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Skille speed + hitting were only reason people kept hope for kid and why he stuck around bouncing around NHL

Nylander has speed and nothing else so he cant play a bottom 6 gritty game and become an AHL/NHL tweener like Jack to prolong his career

And Skille certainly put in more effort on ice in all facets of game then Nylander has been willing to whic his another reason Nylander career will be short once people stop giving him excuses because of his last name
Skille was/is a far, far less talented player. What an odd comp.

Reactions: migi and ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

He is probably better than half this roster, defensively. If not more.

He's a far better defensive player than both Strome and Cat...

Skille... :laugh:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nylander has shown very little of this "Talent" when facing men not children

And your right it is odd comparable as Skille gave an honest effort on ice something Nylander rarely does

So wrong. I watched his effort plenty through these playoffs, and commented on it in the GDTs numerous times.

You just fall into that 1 of 3 people that I described yesterday in the GDT thread. You hate Bowman, so you automatically don't give Nylander a chance. Your mind was made up about him before he ever put on a Hawks jersey.

Reactions: d rake and Mrfenn92

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
I agree that hockey IQ is something you either have or you don't, but I'm not sure that is Nylander's issue. I think it might be more about confidence. He knows what the right play is, but just second guesses himself too much. He's so used to being able to get away with forcing plays in lower levels that he can't get away with in the NHL. Not that Colliton is the authority on this, but that's what he says. Nylander plays like a guy whose confidence has been crushed. Benching him isn't going to fix that. A person who has no confidence in themselves and their ability might as well be a person who is dumb.

I still struggle with confidence issues to this day, and mostly because I don't see other people believe in me, so I can empathize with that.

I’d agree with that. A lot of his problem this year is him trying to do too much. He needs to simplify his game but the glaring problem for me is he doesn’t seem to have enough finish to be anything more than a good 3rd liner when he reaches his ceiling.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't love Nylander, but it's way too early for anyone to write him off. He's shown potential. If he can develop into a steady 40 point player, I take that over Jokiharju any day of the week.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I asked for you to show me evidence of this yesterday. Still waiting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad