Alex Nylander

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
A Finn and a Swede walk into a bar.........

The Finn turns to the Swede and says:
"I'll give you $200, if you let me smash ten beer bottles on your head."
The Swede thought for a while and finally agreed, partly because of the peer pressure. The Finn smashed the first bottle on the Swede's head, then the second and so on, but he stopped after smashing nine bottles.
"So, when are you going to smash the tenth bottle?," asked the Swede.
"I am not a total idiot," the Finn replied, "then I would have to give you that $200."

migi

Feb 25, 2015
The Finn turns to the Swede and says:
"I'll give you $200, if you let me smash ten beer bottles on your head."
The Swede thought for a while and finally agreed, partly because of the peer pressure. The Finn smashed the first bottle on the Swede's head, then the second and so on, but he stopped after smashing nine bottles.
"So, when are you going to smash the tenth bottle?," asked the Swede.
"I am not a total idiot," the Finn replied, "then I would have to give you that $200."

Hahaha lmao.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Nylander's pathetic play in this years playoffs should be his end but its likely he will be gifted top 9 roster spot because of the god awful trade that brought him here

What does Nylander do that justifies his continued play?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Nylander's pathetic play in this years playoffs should be his end but its likely he will be gifted top 9 roster spot because of the god awful trade that brought him here

What does Nylander do that justifies his continued play?
He's one of the better defensive forwards, skaters and forecheckers on the team. He doesn't bring much offensively right now, but he could get there eventually and I'm willing to wait and see. He's a competent 3rd liner as it stands IMO, even with the occasional idgaf games.

Defense is a team game and the last thing the Hawks need to do is bench or trade one of their better defensive forwards. I'm convinced that the forward group/coaching are the problems with the team D rather than the defensemen.

If Nylander would bring it each and every night I'd rather have him on the team than Strome or Cat, who do nothing when not scoring. Cat tries to play D but he's just too small and weak.

Also, with regard to Jokiharju-BWC, where's he going to play? Joki would have been stuck in Rockford all season and it was clear that Hawks brass had soured on him. Would you rather lose him for nothing to Seattle or at least get a lottery ticket in Nylander?

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
LOL at one of the better defensive forwards ,,,, LOL

And we gave away Joker for nothing at this point so your last point seems absurd. We literally got absolute trash in Alex Nylander for him

Joker never stood a chance with JC behind bench

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

And we gave away Joker for nothing at this point so your last point seems absurd. We literally got absolute trash in Alex Nylander for him

You keep saying he gave away Joker. You do realize Joker would be getting eaten alive right now right? He’s the least physical player on any team, and that won’t fly in the playoffs.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You keep saying he gave away Joker. You do realize Joker would be getting eaten alive right now right? He’s the least physical player on any team, and that won’t fly in the playoffs.

Yeah nonsense

Joker is an NHL talent

Nylander is absolute garbage and has been terrible in his limited TOI. He is a wasted roster spot and your playing a man down anytime you dress him

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Joki isn't much of a player himself. There's a growing consensus that he's nothing more than a third pairing D. Stan traded Slater Koekkoek for Nylander basically. Not a huge loss. You make that gamble 10/10 times, even if it doesn't work. You severely overrate Jokiharju and severely underrate Nylander. That's your issue. Both are meh. Stan traded meh for meh.

Quit acting like they traded Nicklas Lidstrom for Alexandre Daigle.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No Stan traded Jan Rutta and pick for SK and a pick

Dont use Koekkoek play as excuse for awful trade

Even if Joker becomes nothing more then a bottom pairing RHD that will still be far more then Nylander who is only on an NHL roster because of his name. He is an absolute bust who's play in playoffs has been an absolute joke

The fact JC continues to dress Nylander while sending Boqvist to press box is laughable

Our coach has a weird obsession with bullying young defenders while giving trash like Nylander a pass

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Even if Joker becomes nothing more then a bottom pairing RHD that will still be far more then Nylander who is only on an NHL roster because of his name. He is an absolute bust who's play in playoffs has been an absolute joke

The fact JC continues to dress Nylander while sending Boqvist to press box is laughable

Our coach has a weird obsession with bullying young defenders while giving trash like Nylander a pass

Someone woke up in a bad mood today.

I can’t believe someone feels THIS strongly about Nylander. :laugh:

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Nylander is he develops could become Brett Connolly.

But on this team we don’t really have the luxury of developing a guy like that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Joki was expendable. The guys they could have received in return were: Burakovsky, Nylander, Puljujarvi. Obviously knowing what you do now you take Burakovsky.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How was Joker expendable?

If anything keeping Joker means we dont trade for Maatta and our team is in better financial shape while also not losing anything defensively

What young defenders have established themselves on Hawks?

Boqvist looks promising
Mitchell has never played in NHL and could be absolute bust for all we know
Beaudin is project
Gilbert looks terrible
Carlsson doesn't look promising

What is this great glut of talent on D we have that you seem to see?

De Haan with bad shoulder
Maatta who is meh
Keith who is on slow decline but still good
Koek who has been solid
Seeler who is terrible

What is this great collection of talent on D we have that Joker was expendable for

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
At this point I’m expecting the Joker/Nylander trade to be a bust for both teams.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At this point I’m expecting the Joker/Nylander trade to be a bust for both teams.

How so?

Sabres were pleased with his performance this year as he established himself as an NHL player

On a bad Sabres team he was one of the few positives

Meanwhile on a bad Hawks team Nylander sticks out as yet another awful player

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
How was Joker expendable?

If anything keeping Joker means we dont trade for Maatta and our team is in better financial shape while also not losing anything defensively

What young defenders have established themselves on Hawks?

Boqvist looks promising
Mitchell has never played in NHL and could be absolute bust for all we know
Beaudin is project
Gilbert looks terrible
Carlsson doesn't look promising

What is this great glut of talent on D we have that you seem to see?

De Haan with bad shoulder
Maatta who is meh
Keith who is on slow decline but still good
Koek who has been solid
Seeler who is terrible

What is this great collection of talent on D we have that Joker was expendable for
Boqvist/Mitchell/Murphy have the right side locked down for the foreseeable future.
de Haan is someone you were advocating they sign in summer 19 so I know you like him. He has shoulder issues but he's good when healthy.
Maatta is meh and I never understood that one.
Koekkoek is a solid bottom pairing D.

Keith/de Haan/Koekkoek on the left
Boqvist/Murphy/Mitchell on the right

Seabrook is the 7th D, and you have Beaudin/Regula/Carlsson as depth.

Tell me again where Jokiharju is playing?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ah the mythical Mitchell has the right side locked down

What exactly has Mitchell done to warrant this claim?

Mitchell has done jack shit and having Joker on NHL roster developing surely had value and this idea that Mitchell magically is some god is laughable

He has done jack shit to warrant even a lock on Hogs D let alone being pencilled in as day 1 NHL star

And again Nylander was guy Stan wanted and he has proven to be every bit as useless as ever and that is on Stanley for piss poor asset management again and horrendous eye for talent in trade again

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Mitchell has done jack shit and having Joker on NHL roster developing surely had value and this idea that Mitchell magically is some god is laughable

He has done jack shit to warrant even a lock on Hogs D let alone being pencilled in as day 1 NHL star
You could say the same about Jokiharju. He's done nothing of note in the NHL. Hawks brass liked Mitchell significantly more, and that's all that matters.
Mitchell is a way better skater than Joki and it's not that close really.
Jokiharju is not Nicklas Lidstrom, my god.......

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

And again Nylander was guy Stan wanted and he has proven to be every bit as useless as ever and that is on Stanley for piss poor asset management again and horrendous eye for talent in trade again

Mitchell seems better suited for the current NHL vs Joker.

Joker is small and doesn’t have any elite or even near elite skills.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
For 19, Joki was a good player here. He would've been a good player here this year. There is no evidence that the Hawks liked Mitchell more than Joki.

The Hawks took a chance on Nylander. At times, he's looked worth taking a chance on. At other times, he seems like a 3rd line liability.

He'll keep a spot in the top 9 next season because his upside is too high to ignore. It's up to him if he wants to stick around longer than that. We've seen him be one our best forwards during a couple of good weeks earlier this season, so all we can do now is hope he can learn to play like that somewhat consistently.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Both young players can still surprise but right now it looks basically like a slug for slug deal.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad