Alex Nylander

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
For 19, Joki was a good player here. He would've been a good player here this year. There is no evidence that the Hawks liked Mitchell more than Joki.

The Hawks took a chance on Nylander. At times, he's looked worth taking a chance on. At other times, he seems like a 3rd line liability.

He'll keep a spot in the top 9 next season because his upside is too high to ignore. It's up to him if he wants to stick around longer than that. We've seen him be one our best forwards during a couple of good weeks earlier this season, so all we can do now is hope he can learn to play like that somewhat consistently.

There is no upside here

He has been absolute bust and only thing justifying his continued existence as a "NHL player" is his last name

I guess we should hand the reigns over to Subban and extend him to be our #1 based on his "Potential upside" ,, Right?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Joker has been far from slug in NHL

Nylander isn't even worthy of being compared to a slug. A Slug would be easier to justify on roster then Nylander

If you say so. Joker has done nothing to impress me but as I said he's young and most Dmen take time to mature. Nylander, I don't hold much hope for. The compete just isn't there.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
For 19, Joki was a good player here. He would've been a good player here this year. There is no evidence that the Hawks liked Mitchell more than Joki.

The Hawks took a chance on Nylander. At times, he's looked worth taking a chance on. At other times, he seems like a 3rd line liability.

He'll keep a spot in the top 9 next season because his upside is too high to ignore. It's up to him if he wants to stick around longer than that. We've seen him be one our best forwards during a couple of good weeks earlier this season, so all we can do now is hope he can learn to play like that somewhat consistently.
Joker got off to a really nice start and after 2-3 weeks of play he was downright bad and a liability.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
There is no upside here

He has been absolute bust and only thing justifying his continued existence as a "NHL player" is his last name

I guess we should hand the reigns over to Subban and extend him to be our #1 based on his "Potential upside" ,, Right?
He has good hands, a decent shot, good skating, and is over 6ft. There are things to like, they just aren't being put to good enough use by him. He may very well be an all tools, no toolbox type.

I'm more on your side than anyone, so get off my ass.

Reactions: WindsorHawk

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Joker got off to a really nice start and after 2-3 weeks of play he was downright bad and a liability.

False

He got off to great start , Q got fired and new coach came in and for some reason treated kid like dirt when he was the few bright spots on team and even with struggles after the failure we hired as HC screwed with him was still playing better then most of this miserable roster

Then like Bears with Olsen our GM sided with coach and kid was gone for pure garbage

Nothing about Nylander or situation justified trade. Our GM hired a fool and then made foolish move to appease that idiot and it will haunt Hawks for years to come

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He has good hands, a decent shot, good skating, and is over 6ft. There are things to like, they just aren't being put to good enough use by him. He may very well be an all tools, no toolbox type.

Sorry if it seems i am coming after you I am not

I just want to know what about this pathetic player leads to some guys here defending him and the coach who dresses us down a man every night before the puck drops

Nylander has been absolute joke and deserves to sit. The only reason he isn't is because of the trade that brought him here

Nylander has done nothing to justify his spot on team and his future protected roster spot next year

Reactions: BobbyJet

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
False

He got off to great start , Q got fired and new coach came in and for some reason treated kid like dirt when he was the few bright spots on team and even with struggles after the failure we hired as HC screwed with him was still playing better then most of this miserable roster

Then like Bears with Olsen our GM sided with coach and kid was gone for pure garbage

Nothing about Nylander or situation justified trade. Our GM hired a fool and then made foolish move to appease that idiot and it will haunt Hawks for years to come

Nah, his play dropped off significantly while Q was still there.

Not saying JC handled him well, but it’s not all JC’s fault he didn’t pan out here like you want it to be.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

So far Nylander has shown he won't use those tools. His play is lackadaisical. You'd think he was an established veteran playing exhibition games the way he floats around. I think BWC is overstating Joker's play but Sabres seemed to see Stan coming in making that deal.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
So far Nylander has shown he won't use those tools. His play is lackadaisical. You'd think he was an established veteran playing exhibition games the way he floats around. I think BWC is overstating Joker's play but Sabres seemed to see Stan coming.

I actually thought he skated pretty hard and with a purpose last night for the first time all playoffs. First time it looked like he brought some playoff intensity.

With that said, he still sucks.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I actually thought he skated pretty hard and with a purpose last night for the first time all playoffs. First time it looked like he brought some playoff intensity.

With that said, he still sucks.

Yep, I saw the same thing until he arrived at the puck along the boards. That's when he wilted. Another guy heading to Europe? I think so.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nah, his play dropped off significantly while Q was still there.

Not saying JC handled him well, but it’s not all JC’s fault he didn’t pan out here like you want it to be.
Yeah, he went from playing like a top 4 D, to an adequate bottom pairing guy. But he was still one of our top 4 Dmen, when JC showed up, so it was puzzling. He should have been getting top 4 ice time to develop in the NHL. JC had his mind made up early on him.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
That was a pretty cool shot of Hughes on the ground watching the goal happen.

Wrong thread delete.

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
I see Nylander is good developed for european leagues. He will have a good career. As for NHL, it happens. Neither the first nor the last.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
It amazes me how some posters here pile on Strome but give this kid a pass. Strome is the one who is playing the harder position (center). Strome is the one who actually produced in the AHL. Strome is the one who is actually producing in the playoffs out of the two, etc. etc. But because Nylander skates faster he doesn't get piled on as much.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It amazes me how some posters here pile on Strome but give this kid a pass. Strome is the one who is playing the harder position (center). Strome is the one who actually produced in the AHL. Strome is the one who is actually producing in the playoffs out of the two, etc. etc. But because Nylander skates faster he doesn't get piled on as much.

I expected more out of Strome. This one reason why I am personally harder on him. I think the Sabres royally bitches Nylander’s development and it shows. He shows glimpses of what he can be which gives me hope. Nylander in my opinion will be a late bloomer.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

It's only people like BK who are defending Nylander. He has been nothing short of brutal and he shouldn't dress for tonight's game as far as I'm concerned. Give a young guy like Kurashev or Hagel a playoff game.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Lots of tools and no IQ.

Keep him for as long as he's dirt cheap, move him when he wants money.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It's only people like BK who are defending Nylander. He has been nothing short of brutal and he shouldn't dress for tonight's game as far as I'm concerned. Give a young guy like Kurashev or Hagel a playoff game.

People like “BK”....hahaha. The same people that defended TT when you and other were saying he was not an NHL player and he would end up in Europe. Nice call on that btw. Could I be wrong about him? Sure but I see the little things he does and don’t make up mistakes.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

BK, CH10, I can go on and on. I usually agree with those guys about players but not in this case. @BK me and you saw something out of Teravainen for example when many here were ripping him. We'll just have to agree to disagree on Nylander. I'd be floor if he even turned into half the player his brother is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad