Alex Nylander

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I mean, yeah, 10pts out of 23 with just two of our top 6 players is quite a bit. Not to mention the other top 6 players he has gotten points with (Kubalik, Strome, Dach). It's possible he has played a bit better lately, I haven't watched many Hawk games lately.

Most of his earlier points (before All Star game) came from leaching off of other top 6 players, with the odd game here where he played well and earned it himself.
Im honestly confused on how that’s quite a bit between two different players? Toews literally has 4 points on Nylander point plays (1 more than Highmore who is the lowest scoring forward on the team). How is that a lot? He’s been almost exactly as productive with the fourth line in less TOI.

Reminded me of Nylanders first point from 88. That damn leech! 88 doing all the work there. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: d rake

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Kahun had 37pts...

I don't remember if I said he would outscore Kahun's point totals last year, or if he would outscore him this year. Either way, it's not exactly a crazy prediction. Nylander likely ends up somewhere around 30 points... I said I was more than likely wrong, so.... what point are you trying to make? :laugh:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't remember if I said he would outscore Kahun's point totals last year, or if he would outscore him this year. Either way, it's not exactly a crazy prediction. Nylander likely ends up somewhere around 30 points... I said I was more than likely wrong, so.... why are you still talking about it? :laugh:
I was just correcting you as to how many points Kahun had last year since that was the claim said earlier. Not points this year. I don't know what you said.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I was just correcting you as to how many points Kahun had last year since that was the claim said earlier. Not points this year. I don't know what you said.

I don't either, but I was pointing out that Kahun is only 6 points ahead of Nylander as of right now. Not exactly an insurmountable difference with 16 games to play. He could still outscore Kahun this season.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
You predicted Nylander would out score Kahun (if used in the same role). He keeps merging us as posters.
no i dont u just merged u as posters....u both thought he would outscore kahun its looking like he wont. some thought he would put up 50-60 points he wont. his rookie season isnt exceeding any expectation.
i concede on the 22 year old rookie seems to be average. players coming in after playing pros a few year in different leagues alters it a bit but ya i guess hes average age for a rookie putting up ok points.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
no i dont u just merged u as posters....u both thought he would outscore kahun its looking like he wont. some thought he would put up 50-60 points he wont. his rookie season isnt exceeding any expectation.

This is like the 3rd time you have done it recently.

You're trying to move the goalposts now as your original post was proven wrong.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I don't either, but I was pointing out that Kahun is only 6 points ahead of Nylander as of right now. Not exactly an insurmountable difference with 16 games to play. He could still outscore Kahun this season.
that wasnt the discussion before the season it was replace his 37 point production.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
This is like the 3rd time you have done it recently.

You're trying to move the goalposts now as your original post was proven wrong.
i dont even know what the goalposts are. i conceded the age thing as a rookie. there are plenty of people in his draft class and younger putting up more points. im not excited about his rookie year he has produce less then what anyone predicted before the season. dont know what the argument is anymore with you.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Im honestly confused on how that’s quite a bit between two different players? Toews literally has 4 points on Nylander point plays (1 more than Highmore who is the lowest scoring forward on the team). How is that a lot? He’s been almost exactly as productive with the fourth line in less TOI.

Reminded me of Nylanders first point from 88. That damn leech! 88 doing all the work there. :sarcasm:

You're right, it's not a lot considering how much time he played with them. He should have more. But 10/23pts with them is a lot, 43% of his points with our 2 best players. Now how many of his points have come with guys like Kubalik, Dach, Strome, Cat? Probably in the range of 75-80% once you bring those players into the equation, I am guessing.

Regardless of all this, he is still underwhelming as a player, and the top 10 rookie scoring thing doesn't mean a whole lot, when most players his age either aren't rookies anymore, or are underwhelming players.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You're right, it's not a lot considering how much time he played with them. He should have more. But 10/23pts with them is a lot, 43% of his points with our 2 best players. Now how many of his points have come with guys like Kubalik, Dach, Strome, Cat? Probably in the range of 75-80% once you bring those players into the equation, I am guessing.

Regardless of all this, he is still underwhelming as a player, and the top 10 rookie scoring thing doesn't mean a whole lot, when most players his age either aren't rookies anymore, or are underwhelming players.
The hawks have scored less than 200 goals and Toews and Kane have 136 points between them. I’m willing to bet a large number of guys on the hawks have a decent perecentage of their points coming from Toews and Kane. Without looking at the numbers, I bet you could probably make the same argument about Kubalik. Obviously you wouldn’t but I’m just saying.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This entire discussion seems like a lot of over-analyzing for a rookie getting 12 minutes a night.

I’m still not happy about the Jokiharju trade and have been relatively disappointed in Nylander’s play so far buuuuuuutttt the kid has shown flashes of playing well and a little patience with the kid would do everyone well here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The hawks have scored less than 200 goals and Toews and Kane have 136 points between them. I’m willing to bet a large number of guys on the hawks have a decent perecentage of their points coming from Toews and Kane. You could probably make the same argument about Kubalik. Obviously you wouldn’t but I’m just saying.
Yeah, you absolutely could say it for a lot of guys, and that's why this team sucks. Nylander doesn't stick out to me, doesn't seem to create a whole lot, and isn't potting goals like Kubalik.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I think he's doing okay.
Some games he really stands out and others he does not, about what I expect from most rookies.

He certainly has the potential to be a very good player. Let's see how he does next year with more ice time (hopefully.)

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

Just for those interested. His most common line mate by a fair bit is Ryan Carpenter.
That doesn't make sense.

It says he has played with Toews AND Kane (like together on a line) 24% of the time this year. Meanwhile, according to NaturalStatTrick, he has only played with Toews AND Kane for 24mins total at ES.

He has played (at 5 on 5) with
Kane for 143mins
Toews for 205mins
Carpenter for 151mins
(653 total mins 5 on 5)
(according to Natural Stat Trick)

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
he is 2-4 years older then a lot of other players that are rookies right now. It is an advantage to have past professional experience IMO. You mention mittlestad but dont mention the rookies who succeed on buffalo at a young age. Didnt he complain about not being in the NHL while playing for buff AHL team? I think you predicted more points then Kahun last year who had 37. Some people were predicting around 50-60 during the preseason.

So basically just Eichel

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That doesn't make sense.

It says he has played with Toews AND Kane (like together on a line) 24% of the time this year. Meanwhile, according to NaturalStatTrick, he has only played with Toews AND Kane for 24mins total at ES.

He has played (at 5 on 5) with
Kane for 143mins
Toews for 205mins
Carpenter for 151mins
(653 total mins 5 on 5)
(according to Natural Stat Trick)
Well one of them must be wrong? Dunno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad