Alex Nylander

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Considering effort and entitlement attitude were issues in Buffalo its legitimate issue to worry about

For a player with his history seeing that type of effort is concern preseason or not

Bobby was referring to the entire team in his post. I was talking about that.

Nylander has been one of the best Hawks forwards throughout preseason. I'm not gonna start ripping him after one preseason game. The last one before the entire team traveled to Europe to start the regular season, no less.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Not aimed at any singular player but this team has been bad for 2 seasons, supposedly was loaded for dogfights to make this roster and I just don't see that much fire.

It concerns me, especially if October doesn't go well.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The effort in one preseason game. And... it's preseason.

Actually, last nights game was the worst of the lot but I haven't been at all impressed with the teams urgency throughout this preseason.
I expect a helluva lot more character to come out beginning October 4.

As for Nylander: the one we saw last night fit perfectly with the negative reviews we have heard about him. Hopefully, last night was an anomaly.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Whatever happens i just hope he doesnt need to be stapled next to Kane/Toews to produce.
Or...Hawks could offer him up to Wiinnipeg plus Strome for Hatrik Laine??
Could you imagine a couple seasons of Toews-Kane-&Laine lighting it up every night? Could be pretty awesome for another Stanley run, huh!
IMO, would be better than Scheifelle-Wheels-Laine could ever be (even if their coach/GM tried them together all season).

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Could you imagine a couple seasons of Toews-Kane-&Laine lighting it up every night? Could be pretty awesome for another Stanley run, huh!
IMO, would be better than Scheifelle-Wheels-Laine could ever be (even if their coach/GM tried them together all season).
giphy (2).gif

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Where will the Hawks get the cap room to sign Laine to whatever ridiculous contract he wants this year?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I wouldn't trade Strome straight up for Laine. Let alone Nylander and Strome. This is terrible. Laine is a one-dimensional scorer, prone to disappearing for weeks at a time, and that's it. No thanks.

Reactions: hawksrule

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
sounds like he has been realy bad. How is the guy guy he was traded for doin?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
nylanders early preseason was good, tailed off a bit

joker may not even make the sabres team out of camp from what I read

Reactions: ZEBROA

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
nylanders early preseason was good, tailed off a bit

joker may not even make the sabres team out of camp from what I read

Jokiharju is one of eight defencemen left in Sabres camp and is in a battle to be among the starting six on opening night.

But that is only because Montour and McCabe have been hurt.

He’s shown skill, but been inconsistent. Unless he picks up his game, he will be in Rochester when the Sabres get healthy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like there isn't a lot of consensus about his pre-season play but I do see that he meshed well with high-skill guys (which is awesome, he's got offensive talent to feed and convert in those spots) and also had some of his disengagement in a game.

Just a caveat about the O'Reilly comments above - his play in St. Louis wasn't "flipping a switch", it was the same way he played in Buffalo. He did the same things there he did with the Blues (metric-heads can attest to most of that), but without playing for a dufus HC and perhaps the stress of his first child being born (something from mid-season in his final year in Buffalo). In terms of on-ice performance, he was pretty much as advertised in both cities.

Which, coming back around to Nylander and a bit about Jokiharju, both seem to have had the good and bad parts of their respective games on display in preseason.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
nylander has been as advertised id say. a lot of skill and not great away from the puck. looks disinterested at some points. i think his season will come down to how JC uses him.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
nylander has been as advertised id say. a lot of skill and not great away from the puck. looks disinterested at some points. i think his season will come down to how JC uses him.

Yeah pretty much. Good that JC is good with the kids.

I like how he was handled yesterday. Motivate him by demotion when he isn't doing the little things, and reward him straight away when he is.

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
Seems like everyone has a bit of a different view on him? Is he pretty much assured to be top line with Kane and JT to start the season at least?

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
:huh:

Nylander has been good, with the exception of one preseason game where he had a couple issues.

The fact that the K/T/N line got stuck defending in their own zone for 2 shifts in succession, against Berlin, is concerning to me. Cags fit in much better when he took over but there is no denying Nylanders soft hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad