Alex Nylander

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Dach is a tough call too.

From my limited watching:

Elite puck handling/escapability in stride.

Excellent reflexes.

Plays in the paint.

Can ****ing own the 200ft game in terms of playing behind his own net to striding ahead to enter the zone first. Very special ability.

But, his upper body ain't there in stick battles and his center of gravity isn't up to par when push comes to shove, no pun intended.

Reactions: bwana63

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I was just doing that for visual of open spots..

I am actually thinking this

Kubalik - Toews - Kane
DeBrincat - Strome - Shaw
Saad - Dach - Kampf (Kampf takes draws)
Caggiula - Carpenter - Smith/Perlini

Kampf can take draws then slot to wing, and that still keeps our 4th line filled with shut down players.

Starting Sikura, Nylander, Kurashev, Highmore, Saarela, etc in the minors gives us the chance to get those kids tons of minutes and build chemistry. We brought in some vets, no need to slot the kids in right away with Kubalik and Dach the most likely two to stick already IMO.
I'm on board with this, and then if Dach doesn't pass the 9 game test you can easily swap him with whichever kid does the best in Rockford.

Reactions: AmericanDream

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Smith and Carpenter would have to go on waivers, I highly doubt Bowman signed/traded those guys to lose them for nothing..

I still believe Nylander is odd man out right now IF Dach makes this team..

he got smith cause it was a way to rid himself and AA and have a bit more useful player, IMO Stan knew smith may be a 12-13 guy this year and may very well have been good with waiving/trading/burying or buying him out next season.

carpenter was signed as he is also a useful player that is responsible and a better than average PKer which we were terrible at, my gut says Stan figured he may be a 12-13 guy this season if his plan went according to what he wanted to accomplish.

I would bet good money that both carpenter and smith see plenty of time in the press box this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panzerspitze

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
____ - Toews - Kane
Cat - Strome - Shaw
Saad - Kampf - ____
Caggiula - Carpenter - Smith
Dach, Kubalik, Perlini, Sikura, Nylander, Kurashev, Highmore, Saarela, etc...

there are only 2 spots open, unless Bowman wants to lose either Carpenter or Smith - or scratch one of them is possible I guess..I just can't see Nylander up here.

carpenter and smith are not both going to be close to everyday guys American dream, I bet they both hover around 45-60 games and it could be less if some of the youngsters establish themselves

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Smith and Carpenter will rotate in and out. Perlini will probably have to earn time. I can't see Nylander not making the team given what Bowman gave up for him.
If they want to separate 19 and 88, and Dach makes the team:
92-19-20
8-77-88
12-17-65
91-64-22/15

Perlini traded, Sikura to Rockford.

this is also what I see although the RW on the 4th line could very well see a host of guys throughout the year but that top 9 is exactly what I want to see happen

Shaw with Cat and Strome will be a great fit IMO

and if Dach does not stay then it may be Kurashev that takes his roster spot, the guy is as close to being a Hossa lite as we have....and could slide up and down the lineup in a variety of places.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he got smith cause it was a way to rid himself and AA and have a bit more useful player, IMO Stan knew smith may be a 12-13 guy this year and may very well have been good with waiving/trading/burying or buying him out next season.

carpenter was signed as he is also a useful player that is responsible and a better than average PKer which we were terrible at, my gut says Stan figured he may be a 12-13 guy this season if his plan went according to what he wanted to accomplish.

I would bet good money that both carpenter and smith see plenty of time in the press box this year.
I am not saying they won't be scratches at times, but they were not brought in here to get waived. maybe one of these guys sits but I even doubt that out the gate. our 4th line was a shit show last year and we brought in Smith and Carpenter to rectify that..and they will do that..great 4th line role players.

we can hold off on Nylander and some of the kids until a few months in..especially with Kubalik a near lock as is and Dach possibly as well (Dach is getting 9 games for sure IMO)..we have enough skill and firepower, let's fix the shitty team defense first then adjust from there.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I am not saying they won't be scratches at times, but they were not brought in here to get waived. maybe one of these guys sits but I even doubt that out the gate. our 4th line was a **** show last year and we brought in Smith and Carpenter to rectify that..and they will do that..great 4th line role players.

we can hold off on Nylander and some of the kids until a few months in..especially with Kubalik a near lock as is and Dach possibly as well (Dach is getting 9 games for sure IMO)..we have enough skill and firepower, let's fix the ****ty team defense first then adjust from there.

the fourth line was a disaster because it was mostly comprised of thugs like Kunitz, Hayden and Kruger, poor Kampf and AA was a PKer....

yes Smith and Carpenter were brought in to rectify the shit show that was and they ARE great role players, having said that I would take both Cagguila and Kampf on the 4th line any day than both Smith and Carpenter.

as I have said many times previously IMO smith and carpenter will be 12 and 13 forward one way or the other for the most part. Will they both in be in lineup at times, sure but IMO they won't both be in the lineup consistently if the forward group is healthy but who knows time will tell.

heck if a handful of the kids step up like Nylander and Dach (and maybe one more) our fourth line could be;

Cagguila-Kampf-Shaw

and that is the bomb and would likely be the best 4th line in hockey and a f***ing pain in the ass to play against, having said that I don't think this is likely to happen but it would be nice if it did.

Nylander-Toews-Saad
Kubalik-Dach-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini/kurashev/smith (I know not young guy but he may work here to make room for that kick ass 4th)/highmore/wedin/Highmore/Saarella/Sikura
Cagguila-Kampf-Shaw

Carpenter

Last edited:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Cags is your 1LW for now if Mr. Coach bothered paying attention last season. His board play and tenacity made the Kane/Toews duo better than any cherry picking floaty sniper would IMO.

That leaves some bottom six questions. But, also, it leaves this team having a big question mark in Strome. Strome can produce, but he wasn't very dominant in terms of his shut down or even stay even ability against bonafide NHL competition last year. Even with Kampf, who was decent on the boards/defensively, that line could not keep their **** in the O-zone for very long. It's nice to get a goal, but when you get a point or two and are hammered in your own end 2/3'rds of your ice time that doesn't bode well long term.

We've all seen the Strome offseason prep vid so lets hope he takes that next step. He needs a dose of tenacity. Shaw will help a lot, but the man in the deep slot still needs the other 2C taking his scoring chance away on every damn shift.

I agree, Cagguila at 1lw shouldn't be dismissed so quickly, it was easily our most dominant line last year. His work meshes too well with Toews and Kane.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I agree, Cagguila at 1lw shouldn't be dismissed so quickly, it was easily our most dominant line last year. His work meshes too well with Toews and Kane.

I agree however I would also like to see Nylander get a chance to play with Hawks most talented duo. A confidence boost can go a long way to launching a young and talented guys career.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I agree however I would also like to see Nylander get a chance to play with Hawks most talented duo. A confidence boost can go a long way to launching a young and talented guys career.

With the caveat that he has to perform well enough during the preseason to earn that nod. But, yeah, 100% yes. And, FWIW, I fully expect both to happen.

Reactions: LordKOTL

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
so many ways to utilize this group of forwards it will be really fun to see what JC decides to do and who makes the club

if Dach makes the club Toews and Kane should be split

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If Dach makes the club here are the pairs I would go with in the top 9:

_________-Toews-Saad
_________-Dach-Kane
Cat-Strome-_________
_________-Kampf-______

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like those pairs too, but can we afford to shelter both our 2nd and 3rd lines?
we can if 1st and 4th lines are built correctly. Shaw likely playing with Toews and Saad, and Kampf with Smith/Carpenter/Sikura..

I am not sure that is the way the Hawks want to go though, we finally got a productive Toews, I think Hawks want to make sure he remains a #1C and put him with productive players.

Reactions: Muffinalt

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
carpenter and smith are not both going to be close to everyday guys American dream, I bet they both hover around 45-60 games and it could be less if some of the youngsters establish themselves
Hawks aren't paying Smith $3.5m to sit out 25 games. I hope.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
I'm not sure that Dach will play past his 9 game try out. I'd be willing to bet they say "hey kid, you look good out there but we wanna see you dominate the W and start preparing for next year when you'll be playing pro"

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I think/hope Smith works out. He provides some size, hitting, plays both c and w as well as a solid all around game. If the Sens weren’t such a dumpster fire it would be easier to evaluate him as a player, but he seems to bring elements the hawks lack at the very least with some goal scoring potential. I have a feeling he’s going to provide a lot of what Wingels did once things get going.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think/hope Smith works out. He provides some size, hitting, plays both c and w as well as a solid all around game. If the Sens weren’t such a dumpster fire it would be easier to evaluate him as a player, but he seems to bring elements the hawks lack at the very least with some goal scoring potential. I have a feeling he’s going to provide a lot of what Wingels did once things get going.
I liked Wingels when he was here. Perfect 4th liner. Hope Smith can do just that.

Reactions: BobbyJet

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
I liked Wingels when he was here. Perfect 4th liner. Hope Smith can do just that.
Same I think he’ll be a good fit on the 4th and can prolly eat some extra time/slide up should shaw inevitably get hurt/suspended. Hoping Caggs got his injury bug out of the way last year that dude was a series of unfortunate events on ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad