Alex Newhook or Alex Turcotte?

Who’s the better Alex prospect?

• Total voters

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Turcotte is the better player in my mind, and far less risky at this point, but Newhook has the higher ceiling. Turcotte is a great skater, but Newhook is elite. Second best skater in this draft, imo. I’d say it’s like an 80% chance that Turcotte is the better player, but if Newhook’s skills transfer well, he could be a hell of a player to deal with. One thing that resonated with me from the recent U18s is how high newhooks IQ is. He forces things sometimes, but he’s always aware of what is going on and where he can exploit the other team.

I think turcotte is going to be a 60-75 point center who is good defensively, and Newhook could be anywhere from a 45 point to 95 point guy. His skills really are there to be an elite player, there is just a lot of risk.

Reactions: McFlyingV

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Like others have said, Turcotte looks like he would be the safer pick as far as the way he scores. he uses more of a team effort and scores different kinds of ways, but a lot of in close scoring.

Newhook looks like he has more of a boom (into a Mackinnon-lite) or a bust, in that he won't be able to do the things he does well enough at the nhl level to make himself into a dominant nhler. He skates well, and a lot of his points come off the rush when flies by dmen.

For comparison sake, Newhook played against similar competition as Makar did in 16-17 and Makar looked a lot better physically, and further along with his game. Makar dominated more clearly. Both get Mackinnon comparisons: I'd say Newhook looks more like Mackinnon skating down the ice, but Makar more exemplified the actual agility and power Mackinnon has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad