Alex Newhook or Alex Turcotte?

Who’s the better Alex prospect?

• Total voters

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

The first clip had nothing to do with speed. It was just weak defending. Anyone could've blown past that defence. Nice hustle in the second clip, but that's an outliar. He's not playing with speed like that in the majority of his shifts.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's beating defenders out of the gate, backing others and creating space for his linemates with an inefficient stride? Imagine when it'll be efficient!
He could be like Tavares where he's a weak skater, but can still dominate. I still have him ranked in my top 10, but I don't see how he's better than Newhook.

Reactions: Lays

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He could be like Tavares where he's a weak skater, but can still dominate.
Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent playmaker and stickhandler but it's not out-of-this-world good (like Hughes good) where it could make up for poor skating and lack of speed.

I have no issues with thinking Newhook the better of two - Turcotte/Newhook are neck and neck on my list at 3 and 4 - but saying he's a weak skater is just silly. If he really was a weak skater, he wouldn't be top 10.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent playmaker and stickhandler but it's not out-of-this-world good (like Hughes good) where it could make up for poor skating and lack of speed.

I have no issues with thinking Newhook the better of two - Turcotte/Newhook are neck and neck on my list at 3 and 4 - but saying he's a weak skater is just silly. If he really was a weak skater, he wouldn't be top 10.
Yeah no one touches Hughes haha.

But yeah I'll obviously be watching both of them closely throughout the season. I'm always open to changing my opinion on guys if I start seeing improvements or stagnation.

EDIT: As for skating, maybe "weak" isn't the right verbiage, but his strides are really inefficient. I'll stand firm on that for now.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yeah no one touches Hughes haha.

But yeah I'll obviously be watching both of them closely throughout the season. I'm always open to changing my opinion on guys if I start seeing improvements or stagnation.

EDIT: As for skating, maybe "weak" isn't the right verbiage, but his strides are really inefficient. I'll stand firm on that for now.

I understand where you see the inefficiency, but he still gets around very well. There are very few perfect strides in the NHL. I could say Ovechkin’s stride is pretty inefficient but i dont think i’d win any argument saying he is a weak skater. I see where your coming from but he is far from a bad skater, and it doesnt hinder his ability to make plays

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Didn't realise I was in the minority, but it's Newhook for me by a mile. Newhook is superior in every area of the game imo. Turcotte is a weak skater. Always looks like he's pumping way too hard, but doesn't ever generate speed.
same lol haven't seen turcotte THAT much so will wait for this season to have my mind set, but Newhook is way ahead of turcotte at this time...

Reactions: Kevin Musto

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Newfoundlander here so an obvious bias for Newhook. I honestly don’t know much about Turcotte other than I’ve heard he is a electric stick handler. Is that information accurate?

Reactions: newfy

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I like Turcotte, I mean he shares the same name as me, but right now my choice would be Newhook.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
you haven't seen a player much (Turcotte), then state the other player (Newhook) is way ahead of him...you do realize how bad of a post this is right?
from what i have seen... yes, i still have seen a pretty decent amount in international tourney and all footage available... pretty much like newhook so yeah, just like you i can have an opinion in their draft -1 season on who i think is the best player between the 2 and to me newhook has a full package.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
from what i have seen... yes, i still have seen a pretty decent amount in international tourney and all footage available... pretty much like newhook so yeah, just like you i can have an opinion in their draft -1 season on who i think is the best player between the 2 and to me newhook has a full package.
I appreciate the honesty in saying you haven't seen Turcotte much, but just not sure how one could say the other is "way" better on such limited viewings when both are literally ranked neck and neck to each other.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you can't see how that looks to other posters, not sure what else I can add to the discussion.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I appreciate the honesty in saying you haven't seen Turcotte much, but just not sure how one could say the other is "way" better on such limited viewings when both are literally ranked neck and neck to each other.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you can't see how that looks to other posters, not sure what else I can add to the discussion.

I can chime in here...I have seen both players, not an over amount but a little bit...probably watched Turcotte in 4 games live and 2 more on an online game I was watching to just get some more seeing's so the online is only as good as it is really...also I saw Newhook 5 times live last year...personally me and I am not giving bias to the east coast Atlantic guy I like Newhook a little more...Turcotte is an exciting player who is very very good in the offensive end, great puck handling, excellent vision and passing, great shooter...skating is not as bad as people are saying on here, he has decent speed with the ability to protect the puck very very well while on the fly, he is strong on his skates as well, he has a short stride is where he looks awkward to people but with some work on that his speed will increase big time......Newhook I would take over Turcotte because IMO Newhook has a higher IQ, he works harder on the boards and in front of the net, Newhook has great hands and playmaking skills and very strong shooting ability, but beside the IQ that sets them apart I also like Newhooks defensive game a lot more than Turcotte's and IMO Newhook is a future leader as well.

Still a whole season left here so depending on Turcotte this year, they are IMO 3 and 4 in the draft so if one leapfrogs the other it would not shock me either though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can chime in here...I have seen both players, not an over amount but a little bit...probably watched Turcotte in 4 games live and 2 more on an online game I was watching to just get some more seeing's so the online is only as good as it is really...also I saw Newhook 5 times live last year...personally me and I am not giving bias to the east coast Atlantic guy I like Newhook a little more...Turcotte is an exciting player who is very very good in the offensive end, great puck handling, excellent vision and passing, great shooter...skating is not as bad as people are saying on here, he has decent speed with the ability to protect the puck very very well while on the fly, he is strong on his skates as well, he has a short stride is where he looks awkward to people but with some work on that his speed will increase big time......Newhook I would take over Turcotte because IMO Newhook has a higher IQ, he works harder on the boards and in front of the net, Newhook has great hands and playmaking skills and very strong shooting ability, but beside the IQ that sets them apart I also like Newhooks defensive game a lot more than Turcotte's and IMO Newhook is a future leader as well.

Still a whole season left here so depending on Turcotte this year, they are IMO 3 and 4 in the draft so if one leapfrogs the other it would not shock me either though.
I like both kids in the top 5 for me, don't care who has one over the other, but the gap between the two is pretty damn close.

I actually think both might get hurt a bit by their circumstances. Newhook playing in the BCHL, not sure the last time a player was taken top 5 out of the BCHL...was it Turris in 07?? And Turcotte playing #2C behind Hughes does not help him shine as well..and if Turcotte doesn't make team USA for the WJC, that would be a letdown for him in showcasing his talent.

Jost went 10th overall, but can't recall many going higher than him since Turris.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think Turcotte's best part of his game comparatively to the other top-end guys in this draft is his defensive game and IQ, so I gotta disagree with you there.

Reactions: martinez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->