Alex Newhook or Alex Turcotte?

Who’s the better Alex prospect?

• Total voters

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I like both kids in the top 5 for me, don't care who has one over the other, but the gap between the two is pretty damn close.

I actually think both might get hurt a bit by their circumstances. Newhook playing in the BCHL, not sure the last time a player was taken top 5 out of the BCHL...was it Turris in 07?? And Turcotte playing #2C behind Hughes does not help him shine as well..and if Turcotte doesn't make team USA for the WJC, that would be a letdown for him in showcasing his talent.

Jost went 10th overall, but can't recall many going higher than him since Turris.
I agree with you on Newhook...him playing BCHL this year is possibly going to hurt him...I know his family is big on school, but personally he would be so much better with the mooseheads for exposure and grooming his talent.

Reactions: AmericanDream

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Newhook is the better player now, but Turcotte has higher potential. Newhook has shown to be the better playmaker, using his teammates better, and I also give him the nod when it comes to two-way ability. Turcotte is definitely the better 1-on-1 player, trickier to handle, and makes plays come out of simply nothing. However, I also suggest that Turcotte suffers from selfishness at times and could use his teammates better in the offencive zone. I would also like to see his desire increase when the puck isn't on his stick, but with all that said he definitely has the highest potential of almost everyone not named Jack Hughes. If he fixes his weaknesses over the course of the year, I would not be shocked to see being selected 2nd overall, but that's easier said than done.

Last edited:

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
Both great players. Hard to pick between the two but I would have to go Newhook as of right now although it is very close. I think both have franchise potential. Can't understand why people think Turcotte isn't a great skater, I think it's one of the best parts of his game. He is also great in all three zones.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Have not watched much of Turcotte, but that his stride does look inefficient in that first highlight package that was posted. Not super impressed by his feet from those highlights.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Newhook was cut from both the WJAC and Hlinka team Canada teams.
Something is off there.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Video is absolutely deceiving because Newhook plays in a much weaker league so of course he is going to look faster. Turcotte was injured and now is on a torrid scoring pace. Its tough to compare apples to apples but I will take the shiny apple playing in the better league over the shiny apple playing in the inferior league.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I like Newhook more and I'd take only Zegras ahead of him in the range 5-10. Just like the way he plays and he reminds me so much to Sakic.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The only real complaint on Newhook, his ability to rise to the competition, was tossed out the window with his playoff performance. He’s an outstandingly skilled guy with high intelligence, speed, agility, and drive which he uses to be effective in both zones. I don’t know if you’d call him a “two-way player” but he seems involved defensively. I can understand taking Turcotte ahead because by all reports he sounds like a very promising guy, but there’s definitely not a big gap. It’s probably fair to say that right now Turcotte is in the Dach/Cozens tier, and Newhook in the Krebs/Zegras tier just a shade below but with real potential to become a better player than those currently considered as “above.”

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Seen a lot of Newhook and I would take him. Better than most of the top whl guys.

Reactions: covfefe

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Seen a lot of Newhook and I would take him. Better than most of the top whl guys.

Funny how many of the people who have actually watched all of the Westerners extensively...seem to arrive at this conclusion.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Turcotte is likely a top 5 pick, almost certainly a top 10. Newhook is maybe picked in the 10-15 range.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, Turcotte sure has produced since returning from injury. 33 points in 15 games must be the highest pace I've seen for USHL with USNTDP. He's also got 32 points in his last 12 USNTDP games when playing with Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad