Alex Newhook or Alex Turcotte?

Who’s the better Alex prospect?

• Total voters

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He played 1 game in the OJHL, as a 15 year old...He went to play Midget AAA in the Toronto area, with all the best players from Ontario

He played Minor Midget in Ontario, the same league and team that guys like Stamkos played, where Newhook won the Top Midget player in ETA (with all the top OHL guys there....)

The BCHL is the best league outside of the CHL in Canada, if you can't understand why an NCAA player went there I don't know what to tell you.

So explain why most scouting reports universally rate him in the 16-18 range?

He chose an easier path. Picking him inside the Top 10 is very risky. Turcotte is the better player and choice right now . Similar skills against tougher competition.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He chose an easier path. Picking him inside the Top 10 is very risky. Turcotte is the better player and choice right now . Similar skills against tougher competition.
I'm not commenting on where he's being ranked at all, I'm correcting your incorrect statements and inferences

The path he chose is one you need to take going NCAA, you aren't allowed to play in the CHL if you want to play NCAA

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone describe Turcotte as lumbering. The kid can fly and might be the second best skater in the draft.

He's a very fast skater, but his mobility in all directions is not as good as players like Hughes and Zegras who change direction at a 70-75 level, and therefore are able to play more of a possession game than Turcotte. He's certainly not bad, but he's not as much of a puck handler who will hold onto the puck and skate around in a circle because he doesn't have the incredible skating in all directions to get to any point on the ice with his skating. He's also a very powerful skater, and that sometimes can look more lumbering than someone who is weak on their skates, but incredibly quick to change direction. I'm also not stating he has bad edges. His edges are above average-good, but his skating mechanics are less efficient than players such as Hughes or Zegras, and I think that makes him more of a N-S skater than E-W skater.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm not commenting on where he's being ranked at all, I'm correcting your incorrect statements and inferences

The path he chose is one you need to take going NCAA, you aren't allowed to play in the CHL if you want to play NCAA

His lower ranking is reflective of his career path.

I really like this kid and following for the past year which has been bouncing anywhere from 12-18. Not trying to knock against his abilities, but explaining why his ranking is lower than other players.

The thread is choosing between them which scouts overwhelmingly rank Turcotte as the better choice.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Turcotte will be selected 3-7, probably by 4

New hook will be selected 8-15, probably by 12, would be happy if goes at 10 to the Canucks

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Turcotte will be selected 3-7, probably by 4

New hook will be selected 8-15, probably by 12, would be happy if goes at 10 to the Canucks

He'll be available with the VAN pick, but there are better players. I believe it'll be in the 12-16 range.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
His lower ranking is reflective of his career path.

I really like this kid and following for the past year which has been bouncing anywhere from 12-18. Not trying to knock against his abilities, but explaining why his ranking is lower than other players.

The thread is choosing between them which scouts overwhelmingly rank Turcotte as the better choice.
Cale Makar playing in the AJHL really affected his draft ranking.

The u18's will show everyone newhook is on the same level as krebs and such.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

If this is really your reasoning, then so did Alex Turcotte. Turcotte's been playing on a super team in the USHL this year, I don't see how that isn't the easier path than going to the OHL.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Cale Makar playing in the AJHL really affected his draft ranking.

The u18's will show everyone newhook is on the same level as krebs and such.

Did it?

He went 4th overall afterall. Yes he was a very late riser and much of that can be attributed to him only playing in the AJHL but at the end of the day Hischier/Patrick/Heiskanen would probably have gone before him regardless. 2 potential #1 Cs and a bonafide two way stud (why did you have to end up in Dallas Miro.. :( )

I like both guys and really hope that the Avs end up with Turcotte (if his health checks out longterm). He right now is clearly ahead of Newhook (who will be gone at #16 quite certainly.)
But I think Newhook deserves to go higher than currently ranked. IMO he has a shot at being a late riser similar to Makar. A lot will depend on his U18 performance this week.
If he continues to impress, I could easily see him go top10. Teams love reaching for "wildcards" with #1 C potential..
Not sure Newhook can be one at the next level (similar to a few others projected there) but he certainly has gotten underrated lately given that people had him in the top5 (or even top3) to start the season

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
comparing a player that played on an “all star” team
vs
“ star” player playing on a regular team and lesser league

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
comparing a player that played on an “all star” team
vs
“ star” player playing on a regular team and lesser league
Well before the season Newhook was tied with Turcotte and sometimes winning the poll. Newhook was regarded as the better prospect up until after Christmas on a lot of sites.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Didn't realise I was in the minority, but it's Newhook for me by a mile. Newhook is superior in every area of the game imo. Turcotte is a weak skater. Always looks like he's pumping way too hard, but doesn't ever generate speed.

I have never seen a scouting report declaring Turcotte to be a ‘weak skater.’ In fact, I only see reports on his great speed and agility.

And you didn’t realize you were in the minority in favoring Newhook over Turcotte? Really?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I have never seen a scouting report declaring Turcotte to be a ‘weak skater.’ In fact, I only see reports on his great speed and agility.

And you didn’t realize you were in the minority in favoring Newhook over Turcotte? Really?
Dude, that was in August. Way to dig up an old post. You're missing a whole lot of context. Check the dates before you respond.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So the scouting reports changed your mind on him being a supposedly ‘weak’ skater? I know you have a penchant for hyperbole, but that one is pretty silly.
What point are you trying to prove here? That post is dated and irrelevant. It was August. As in, before this past season started. As in, going off of D-1 footage. Of course things have changed since then.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
What point are you trying to prove here? That post is dated and irrelevant. It was August. As in, before this past season started. As in, going off of D-1 footage. Of course things have changed since then.

I already explained my point: that stating Turcotte was a ‘weak’ skater (whether it be in August or April) is hyperbolic at best and verifiably untrue at worst. Surely, he didn’t suddenly go from being a weak skater to a great skater in a matter of months?

Reactions: HOPE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad